What made you happy today?

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm trying to find a detalied, serious explanation about that*, but there is none. Is all "my mom told me not to do it, so I don't". I wonder how many of these "computer damaged after vacuum cleaning" reports come from people with carpets on the ground and paper on the walls. ****, I just read someone saying even blowing air made some dust get INTO a HDD, or that you shouldn't clean the fans with vacuum because the rotation causes static  :facepalm:

I mostly used a brush and cloth, the vacuum was the last touch. Since the static is generated by the dust in movement and there was barely any, I doubt the risk wasn't bigger than touching the hardware without rubber gloves.

And if that didn't work, I was going to dump the MB anyway  :roll:

*like, wouldn't fans generate static if there is a lot of dust? Or the speed at which air moves isn't enough?

The suction from a vacuum is powered by an electric motor, and the air so affected gains a very small static charge. This can build up over time, and eventually it can become big enough to zap your circuits
Uhm, OK, never used it for more than 10 seconds.

Vacuuming your PC is quite harmless. I've been doing it for twenty years and I've never broken anything. Obviously you don't want to hit anything with metal parts of the vacuum cleaner but that's it.

So I was also curious to see if it's bogus I'm spreading due to common knowledge. In the search of sources (didn't manage to find a test with actual vacuum cleaners, people are using static from other devices to test so it's moot) I found this one. Old post by an electrician specialized in static. Though it might mean he's partial, I don't think this is bias oriented.

The suction from a vacuum is powered by an electric motor, and the air so affected gains a very small static charge. This can build up over time, and eventually it can become big enough to zap your circuits
Eh, I really doubt that explanation. Friction is the common cause of static. That assertion seems to imply all vacuums have a small VanDeGraaff generator inside them, with a conductor leading through the pipe  :facepalm:
Danath said:
****, I just read someone saying even blowing air made some dust get INTO a HDD, or that you shouldn't clean the fans with vacuum because the rotation causes static  :facepalm:
:lol: that's stupid.
like, wouldn't fans generate static if there is a lot of dust? Or the speed at which air moves isn't enough?
That's dust that is stuck to the fan, mostly. Those won't budge or cause attrition. I'd say the chance of that happening would be considered only if you had a stockpile of non-clumping dust inside the PC, dust that would run constantly through the fans for hours. Besides, it might just be that they use a resistant type of plastic, something that isn't a necessity on vacuum tips. Also, people would probably use the narrow "corner cleaning" tip from the vacuum which would concentrate the intake of dust to a smaller area, therefore generating way more static than what an 8 to 12cm-wide fan would.

Either way, as you actually didn't use it for more than 10 seconds you didn't have enough time to build it up. It's just a risk after all, and you'd have heard that ominous "zap" if it happened.

Ninja post
Sofia Johanna Jeanette Munsterhjelm von Platen said:
Vacuuming your PC is quite harmless. I've been doing it for twenty years and I've never broken anything. Obviously you don't want to hit anything with metal parts of the vacuum cleaner but that's it.
The plastic can also do it tho. Of course if it has a metal tip it would happen really fast.

I think there's probably a safe method hidden somewhere in this situation. But since testing it out is something that could cost cash money, there doesn't seem to be any good reliable sources around.

No stupid, the hose sucks up all the static. It's when you're emptying the vacuum cleaner that you have to be careful not to blow it up.

Calradianın Bilgesi said:
Mom's home. yay \o/
But she was very distressed, worried and weary. It seems one of her colleagues told her she's next to be suspended from work, but told it in his own home privately, as if he was serious and confidential. There's no reason to trust him, but she's super-worried now, considering all the possibilities(is this a trap, why I was told this, why privately, is there a reason to expel me etc etc), not least because my passport will get cancelled if she gets expelled.  :dead:
wooo I got my permit to leave the country. \o/  I was seriously considering ways to enter the UK without a passport but with a residence permit for last a few weeks. Everything seems to be fine now. It looks like someone wanted to scare the **** out of my mother to make her retire because she will be transfered to a much more comfortable department in police force.

Mom's home. yay \o/
But she was very distressed, worried and weary. It seems one of her colleagues told her she's next to be suspended from work, but told it in his own home privately, as if he was serious and confidential. There's no reason to trust him, but she's super-worried now, considering all the possibilities(is this a trap, why I was told this, why privately, is there a reason to expel me etc etc), not least because my passport will get cancelled if she gets expelled.  :dead:
wooo I got my permit to leave the country. \o/  I was seriously considering ways to enter the UK without a passport but with a residence permit for last a few weeks. Everything seems to be fine now. It looks like someone wanted to scare the **** out of my mother to make her retire because she will be transfered to a much more comfortable department in police force.

Jesus, some people's behaviour knows no depths, does it? I did wonder if it might be something like that, a false rumour for spiteful reasons. Still, it's better than the rumour being true. Good luck to you and your mother!

crodeau said:
I bet these simpletons don't even have ionic vacuums
  :lol:

Bromden said:
I've also vacuumed my computers a bunch of times with only positive result. Wouldn't my body ground that static electricity when holding the vacuum tube?
I wouldn't do it, but...

Wristband around nozzle, wrist clip to mat, cleaner on mat,  mat clip to earth.

There's this one class of year 1 children (aged 5-6) in the school I work in. They're all really friendly and cooperative and it's like a cute anarcho-syndicalist commune. There's one girl who rarely smiles but is always happy in a maternalistic kind of way, and helps her friends cut up their food in the dining hall, and tells them they have to eat their vegetables to be healthy. There's another girl who always wants to show me her empty lunch box after eating everything and hugs me round the legs whenever she sees me for some reason. Then there"s this gang of boys who sit and talk together as if they're in a pub, discussing marriage and relationships and generally fist-bumping each other for their many achievements and aspirations, usually related to muscle building and how young their parents are.

tl;dr I have become a 30 year old unmarried woman who really wants children of her own.

Back
Top Bottom