How is the game?

Users who are viewing this thread

Read the Steam reviews and you'll get the gist. Don't buy it.  :wink:

In all seriousness...

RancorSnp said:
Since the players on TaleWorlds may not be aware on that, I will quote myself posting for another site, about how the curent ersion of Caribbean looks like, compared to the plans of the developers.

Long story short, they needed to make full release now, while still will be adding the most important (and money consuming) content to the game for free in future updates.
"Caribbean!" will be released in 5 days, still unfinished!

That's right, as of this moment the date of release has been set to 20 th February 2015. But the game will not contain a lot of features on it's day of release. Interestingly enough, the game will receive content crucial(!) to the game, AFTER the official release.

Giving an incomplete list of things that will be there from the beginning :
- Completely new fame / renown system.
Become renowned sailor, feared pirate, well known merchant or outlawed smuggler. What you can do within a game depends on whether you choose to get military or trading fame.
- Taxes and smuggling
- New Quest receiving system
- Completely new Town outlay, and different system of building in towns.
- New economy system
- Character traits
- Many other minor and major things. Really kinda lot (More than any other
- Advanced Diplomacy and troop commanding
- Advanced morale system, having a lot more impact on the battles than ever
Mount & Blade game before)

But the game will have features that will be added to the game LATER and this are very crucial! Contains the following :

- Multiplayer Game (!) - That's right, the initial release does not contain multiplayer, players have to wait for it to be finished first.
- Naval sieges
- Creating your own towns
- Strategic kingdom control
- Units forming regiments in fights (Player and NPC owned troops with officers, drummers, flag bearers marching in one formation)
- Fort / Castle management - Need to repair walls, buying cannons and other things to make it harder for the attacker.
- Ability to enter taverns
- Native tribes
- Walking on the city scene
- Female characters.

As you can see the amount of things that will NOT be added on the initial release, is so big, you could already form a new M&B game out of it, but developers calm us, that all or at least most of this features will still be added to the game, later and most importantly for FREE.

What are your thoughts on this choice guys? Was it right call to released the game early to gather funds for the most important features? Or maybe they should have waited with the release for the game to be fully complete, een if the money could run out and require some cuts? Comment

My thoughts on the game  (it's good and will only get better)
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198025605107/recommended/293010/

Cheers :smile:

Its fun to play at the moment, but very clearly could use a LOT of work and added features. I got it the day it came out on steam with really high hopes. I don't know if its a budgeting issue or a lack of time allotment for this title, but improvements have been slow.  I find it really strange snowbird games is choosing to call this a finished title at this point (or at least a non-beta), as that is clearly not the case. There are a LOT of promised features not out yet, and certain aspects of the game feel very beta. For example, I have to play this game with music playing in the background as the soundtrack is basically non-existent. Sea battles are this eerily quiet affair, and have non of the rousing pirate themes I mentally associate with the age of sail. There's no exploring cities, no hidden treasure, no native tribes to fight and flee from, and a lot of the game feel somewhat stale. 

If youre simply asking if its fun to play? Then yes, it has its enjoyable moments. But Viking Conquest is far more feature rich at the moment for a Mount&Blade engine title, and Assassins Creed 4 or Pirates of the Caribbean with Build Mod is better as a pirate game. There is room for improvement, and this game is potentially quite promising if snowbird games continues to release updates, but at the moment its not really a finished title. Now that said.... it's still a pirate game with mount&blade combat and if I had to pinpoint one feature that is on point its the ship boarding. This is the only pirate game you'll play where you can get armor, using a bad ass halberd, snipe other sailors, and jump ship to ship. I've had some crazy fun boarding.

Overall I'd give this title a 6/10 right now with the potential for it to become a solid 8 in the near future if its actually updated like promised.

General advice: buy games for what they are at the moment. Take future promises with big grains of salt. So if a game is currently worth it to you at the price, go ahead, but don't expect anything else (than status quo being maintained). This way, you'll be positively rather than negatively surprised.

Here is my take on the game in its current state after about 12 hours of play. It is good; however this is a game that appeals to my taste.

I can see this game having a lot of niche appeal. People who like the mechanics of M&B games who are looking for something new or a different set of mechanical changes will enjoy many aspects of the current version. That being said it is very hat to compare to other M&B games and mods; it plays differently enough to where I can't simply say I prefer one title over another. Carribean brigs a lot of unique assets to the table.

The places where it shines is the feeling of progress. I found very few periods of time where I felt like I was wasting time trying to find something to do (shoot at, board, etc) neither did it feel as grindy as traditional war band. I feel like the ability to choose quests from town boards helps improve the pace but also keepe the freedom between play styles.
The naval combat is simply astounding that it was made on the M&B engine though not perfect the ship to ship conflicts set much needed context to boarding battles and melees on the ocean, wether you choose to take the time to fight ship to ship or just ignore the ship battles and jump straight into boarding, both possibilities are viable.
The map does it's job though the perspective is a bit awkward at first and the politics and economy factors in nicely to the gameplay.

However the problems are there too. My biggest gripe is the outright wonky controls in some situations and te game's lack of explaination leaves a steel learning curve. I found the land battles suffer from this since apparently the traditional M&B party commands don't work. The system in place to order soldiers seems very much improved over war band; that is if only I can figure out how the damn thing works. The naval combat can also be a bit awkward as it just dumps your ship on the ocean with only minimal explaination on how to shoot guns and board, you have to figure out how to comman around Other ships in your fleet on your own.

As with most comments on the game it does seem like there is something missing. The lack of ship models and implications that brings as well as a lack of Immersion in towns and between battles feels like the game is still a little hollow.

In the end I feel like this game (I'm its current state) is worth my money. Maybe it won't appeal to you as much as me, but I feel like sinking plenty more hours into the game.

Storander said:
If youre simply asking if its fun to play? Then yes, it has its enjoyable moments. But Viking Conquest is far more feature rich at the moment for a Mount&Blade engine title(...)Overall I'd give this title a 6/10 right now with the potential for it to become a solid 8 in the near future if its actually updated like promised.

Thats sad, because I'm the greatest fan of the Fire&Sword between my friends. I brought in the first moment the VC waiting all the promised features and I got a average amount of deception because I tought that isn't complete enough to send to us, the costumers. Are you really sure that the Caribbean doesn't have much more features than the VC for a released title?

Are you really saying that VC has more features than Caribbean has? (I do not care about that VC is 80% community mods just added to the game, without even hiding that).
But yeah I would really like to hear, why do you say VC has more features than Caribbean?

It's ok. If the naval combat was something like VC's than it would be a ton better. The naval is a dissapointment, and land battles are still ok tho.

Im still not sure if i will purchase it cause i wouldnt want another VC happening to me agian lol they said VC is a fully completed game but when it was released felt like it was only in alpha lol the lag is real when theres like 50+ Npc  even though laptop not the best but 50+ npc = lag thats just sad for me lol
at least its playable now but the npc faces are still horrible but the lag is still there at 50+ npc

But i be willing to give Carribean a try in the future if there are improvements on it
alot of games now days on steam do early releases and talk about how much there gonna improve the game,  you spend 20 bucks 2 months later no major changes are happening lol or be they like a fully completed game they release it its still pretty much in beta lol

I think the game is worth it at is current phase if it was in the 5-10 dollar range. Have played it a lil over 3 hrs.

What would make it easier is to just post a mini guide on steam with its own ship progression. At the moment i am in a confused state. E.g. 3 levels of sloops 3 levels of frigs etc. But no tier system. Instead you just have to hope its based of historical class system, and named the same, although this is not the case already in the game. This combined with inaccurate troop estimations make picking targets drastically difficult.

That might seem minor...but if the map is literally about sailing...its a big problem. Then there is no suggestion as to where you might find trade objects, cause each city sells their own stuff and does not carry everything. Once again you are forced to go off of historical references to once again be proven wrong.

There are many of things that are "minor issues" but when thought about are in reality "huge issues". However, after work today i plan on playing it again.

I highly recommend your 1st play though be set on lowest difficulty and saves. This is due to the lack of information on the game and the inability to find it. Leading to several mistakes from inconveniences to that broke the game.

Idea of making game about piracy is great.
Mechanic of Mount & Blade fits perfect to this kind of game (grab a cutlass and a pistol, shoot enemy  face at point blank range then slash another one ...  :twisted:

some thoughts after like 12 h of playing:

Recruiting troops and sailors - ok but...
commanding them in battle is absolutely WTF. srsly warband system is 100x better

Naval combat - need improvements, ie in ship handling, arcs of cannons and definately in loading different rounds in each battery. Why FFS i cant load chainshots into  damn bowchasers and have heavy round loaded on the broadside?

why my ship of the line maneuver better than a sloop?

Also devs (or modders) should add  some different types of antisail shots (barshots and starshots)

customizing ship by upgrades and choosing cannons is great.

Boarding combat:
what a mess...and u cannot command the troops - need be reworked.
Jumping on the rope at enemy ship and mast climbing is absolutely great tho  :grin:

also  - some hooks and nets should be added to throw by crew.. this could be useful when u board a ship with higher broadside than your's  - ie sloop vs galeon

battle should be a bit longer.. when u climbing at the mast fight is often over :sad:

using formations and orders in boarding combat should be implemented - ie sharpshooters on masts, musketeers in formation holding fire, board between ships blocked by infantry with melee weapons, an some grenadiers to support - this would be great.

troops look - i really miss some naval uniforms and hats here :sad:

there should be some info about ship classes etc... wondered if u can sail 1st rate here.. and yes its possible, after hard fight i was able to capture one  :fruity:

now pwning everything on short range by throwing grapeshots from 3 decks full of 24-lbers

wish to have dem 42's :razz:

for galleons class look like that:

light galleon > mediium galleon > heavy galleon > manilla galleon

more hull, sails, and crew, heavier guns and bigger boarding party each tier

mainly Spaniards use them

also - decrewed ship shoud stay in place or drift, not maneuver and shoot back! penalty should be proportional to crew loss...

salvaging - should get more repairing parts and goods should float bit longer

looting and adding taken ships to own fleet is great. also possibility to sell them  :grin:

sieges... yeah that lolcharge :sad:

didnt get involved to some serious land combat yet.. i srsly would try dem cannons :smile:

Game have big potential, but have some serious flaws at this moment, hope devs (or modders) fix them

now some questions:

can u recruit any heroes?

can u lvl up captain of another ship in ur fleet? crew can be leveled

rookie > trained> veteran

where u get 42 pounders?

anyone would fix current system of command or lack of it?

any cool looking historically accurate  clothes/uniforms  will be added?

:roll:

about economy storyline etc no idea yet, i just roam and capture ships, rob the goods and throw ppl overboard - like every bloody pirate should :twisted:

game is enjoyable but looks unfinished yet
and definately this game needs women :razz:

regards,
pir@te

I'm enjoying the game. I just started got about 40 hours into it I don't get why everyone is complaining compared to most pirate games this is pretty good. Could it better yeah it could it's kind of repetitive and needs more stuff but its fun as it is.

Has anything been done to optimise the game yet? My fairly old PC runs Warband and VC on low settings great (constant 50-60 fps), but the first (and probably last) time I touched Caribbean! (oh the regrets), I got about 20 fps in towns and 10 fps in ship battles despite brutally down-toning the graphics settings. The juddery framerate went very well with the the washing-machine ships and the braindead NPCs.

I think although the campaign map and admittedly everything in the game needs to be vastly improved and new features added , the game is fun to play as it is at the moment.
Also , a quick question, does anybody know where you can get a 2 deck ship because I have looked almost everywhere to buy one as I have 72k and I think that's enough to buy one( I have a 1 deck 6th rate frigate at mo).

matty9 said:
I think although the campaign map and admittedly everything in the game needs to be vastly improved and new features added , the game is fun to play as it is at the moment.
Also , a quick question, does anybody know where you can get a 2 deck ship because I have looked almost everywhere to buy one as I have 72k and I think that's enough to buy one( I have a 1 deck 6th rate frigate at mo).
You need to find a town with a Wharf and a Dry Dock, have a high enough rank and hope that they will have the ship you want.

Back
Top Bottom