Suggestions and ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

So I don't know if this is just me or something I'm doing, but I can't control my troops like I could on any M&B. I love the new tactical map and being able to control your different units from that. I sorely miss though being to get more in depths with my commands. Being able to just get my cavalry to follow me to circle behind the enemy and have them charge while my infantry are holding thier ground against the enemy. Instead of just being able to only do mass commands for charging, following, holding positions. I can't tell my musketeers to form up and hold their fire till the enemy is within killing range before releasing a deadly volley. Like i said this new tactical map is amazing especially for setting up my units before my force and the enemy meets, but once they meet it is impossible to give commands on the fly and at the same time to fight besides my men. I have always played these games lovely the tactical aspects of it. The challenge of facing off against armies 3 times my size, and with superior troop movement and tactics to end up slaughtering the enemy. Now it has become; set up your men, wait for enemy to close in, mass charge, hope you don't lose too many men unnecessarily. Plus siege battles, all my men do is charge. I can't hold them back, use musketeers to pick off men on the walls and then split my force having one charge up the ladder on one side of fort and then once the enemy get distracted by that attack, send my other force right up their back. This new tactical map would go hand and hand amazingly with the normal M&B tactical options.

I am greatly loving this game and can't wait for the newest updates.

As an avid fan of mount and blade: warband I really would like to see Caribbean! become a success.  Therefore, below is all of the suggestions/bugs that I've come across in my brief period of time playing the game.

Bugs:
1.  Ships while in battle will start to turn side ways and then spin uncontrollably.  This makes ship battles, literally, unplayable.
    (Side Note:  After about a minute of the ship spinning it stops)
2.  When giving commands to troops during land battles no text is shown to display what commands are being given.
3.  (Not 100% sure if this is a bug, but...)  Ship movement is very choppy!  Every other aspect of the game runs fairly smoothly, so this leads me to believe that it is the game's issue; not my computer's.
4.  Maybe I'm just stupid, but it doesn't appear that I can switch weapons. (Using the num pads shows no result)
5.  After making graphical changes the game automatically closes without any prompt.
6.  When attempting to climb the ropes during a ship battle I instantly fall off and begin to drown.

Suggestions:
1.  Pressing tab doesn't exit out of the tavern.
2.  I, personally, don't find the shipyard menu very intuitive.  It took me a couple of minutes of clicking around to figure out what was going on.
3.  It's very difficult to see where cannon balls go after being fired.
    (Side Note:  The cannon balls don't appear to come from the actual side of the ship.  It looks like they are coming more from the rear.)
4.  Boarding another ship is very jumpy.
4.  Ships (especially in the beginning of a naval battle when ships can't move very fast) are an obnoxious distance apart.
5.  Load screens are fairly long compared to warband.
6.  I've found trying to actually sink another ship futile compared to just boarding the ship.  This kind of defeats the point of the game.  I would try to make the actual firing of the ship cannons smoother and a bit easier to hit enemy ships.  I believe this would promote players to actually attempt to sink ships, instead of just boarding everyone.

These are some of the faults that I've found after only about an hour of playing.  I'm really excited about this game and will continue to post more bugs/suggestions as I stumble across them.  I can't wait to see how this game turns out!

- Brent

wildyracing said:
I suggested something in Snowbird's discussion site whilst playing their last version 0.945.

My suggestion wasn't heard, but I will suggest it again here in Taleworld forum and in Steam, just because I think this would be best for Caribbean - a long awaited game for me and many more, which doesn't turn out to be exactly what we expected...

As you all know, Snowbird decided to remove the typical 3D map of M&B and replace it with a simple 2D picture. No terrain, no jungle, no paths, no mountains, nothing whatsoever... just a flat picture to move around. This is their decision and although I don't like it at all, I can accept it.

BUT, the land part of the map is very small compared to if a 3D map was used instead. The terrain is tiny and the NPC parties are huge in visual icons. Relative map movement takes a hit - moving from town to town overland is very quick, plus the map isn't infested with parties and bandits as it is in M&B. MOST importantly, the typical M&B chase-and-catch mechanics between parties aren't there because of the small size of terrain. Sailing-from-anywhere abuse doesn't help either. Usually one of the parties saves itself into a city or into the sea. Snowbird made NPC parties big and fast moving in visuals and that land terrain small in
size because they wanted to ease up character navigation, but this takes A LOT from the map movement and exploring, typical for any other M&B.

Because they said the 2D map is final and can't be reverted, my suggestion for Snowbird is:
1. Make the parties smaller (in 2D map icons only, not in soldiers!) and slower - just doing that will automatically increase the land size and dimensions, which will definitely make the gameplay better.
2. Add additional ZOOM to the map - this will help to easily navigate the player's party if you implement the smaller icons I suggested above. It is a win-win situation which isn't hard to implement yet it will boost the gameplay a lot.

Another awkward thing is that the player can switch between sea and land movement every time from anywhere. Why is that? Does Snowbird think that pirates in Caribbean actually carried their ships on their shoulders just like the vikings did? The faster this nonsense is fixed the better... so:
3. Fix the docking location,so that the point you step ashore is the only place from which you can sail back to sea, be it a city or a shore. We assume that your ship is anchored there and it can't be teleported. Viking Conquest succesfully implemented this feature, why shouldn't Caribbean do it also?

And one big suggestion for the future versions?
4. It shouldn't be so hard to add natives (indians) with their own settlements and culture on some of the islands? Also native parties roaming around the land, especially in South America?

I really hope Snowbird would listen to common sense and help us and themselves with accepting such easy-to-do solutions which help the game.I am not demanding here, I say PLEASE!
Thank you for your time!

I just would like to point out the fact that I agree with all of these points!

bsreilly said:
6.  I've found trying to actually sink another ship futile compared to just boarding the ship.  This kind of defeats the point of the game.  I would try to make the actual firing of the ship cannons smoother and a bit easier to hit enemy ships.  I believe this would promote players to actually attempt to sink ships, instead of just boarding everyone.

- Brent

They raised the Rigging and hull points of the larger ships a lot, that is good as before a few shots would sink the best ship in the game. Though I think they outdone the raising of hull point to much as you say boarding is more favourable now than before. It should be a mix. That the player can choice from boarding of shooting the cannons to sink the ship.

bsreilly said:
Actually, no. Not at all. Trying to board an enemy ship without properly killing it´s crew is costly. Not only will you suffer casualties during the boarding itself but before it can begin it´s likely (depending on the kind of ship you are fighting) that you´ll get hit with stern cannons or, even worse, a broadside volley. Not to mention that you just can´t do that against a real battle fleet (1 x 1st rate, 2 x 2nd rate, 2 x 4th rate, small ship) without running out of sailors and troops before the whole thing is over.

On the other hand, if you know what you are doing and you have a properly upgraded ship with a trained crew you can sink them all while suffering little damage, even against fleets like the one I mentioned before.

Articulo34 said:
bsreilly said:
Actually, no. Not at all. Trying to board an enemy ship without properly killing it´s crew is costly. Not only will you suffer casualties during the boarding itself but before it can begin it´s likely (depending on the kind of ship you are fighting) that you´ll get hit with stern cannons or, even worse, a broadside volley. Not to mention that you just can´t do that against a real battle fleet (1 x 1st rate, 2 x 2nd rate, 2 x 4th rate, small ship) without running out of sailors and troops before the whole thing is over.

On the other hand, if you know what you are doing and you have a properly upgraded ship with a trained crew you can sink them all while suffering little damage, even against fleets like the one I mentioned before.

I guess part of my issue with ship battles is with what I mentioned in my first reply.  After about 20 seconds of sailing towards enemy ships all the ships on the map begin to spin so that they are beneath the water and then will rotate out of the water for about a second.  This process repeats for about a minute and then the ship will finally return to normal.  Have you, or anyone else, experienced similar issues?  Maybe the game did not install properly for me.

bsreilly said:
As an avid fan of mount and blade: warband I really would like to see Caribbean! become a success.  Therefore, below is all of the suggestions/bugs that I've come across in my brief period of time playing the game.

Bugs:
1.  Ships while in battle will start to turn side ways and then spin uncontrollably.  This makes ship battles, literally, unplayable.
    (Side Note:  After about a minute of the ship spinning it stops)
2.  When giving commands to troops during land battles no text is shown to display what commands are being given.
3.  (Not 100% sure if this is a bug, but...)  Ship movement is very choppy!  Every other aspect of the game runs fairly smoothly, so this leads me to believe that it is the game's issue; not my computer's.
4.  Maybe I'm just stupid, but it doesn't appear that I can switch weapons. (Using the num pads shows no result)
5.  After making graphical changes the game automatically closes without any prompt.
6.  When attempting to climb the ropes during a ship battle I instantly fall off and begin to drown.

Suggestions:
1.  Pressing tab doesn't exit out of the tavern.
2.  I, personally, don't find the shipyard menu very intuitive.  It took me a couple of minutes of clicking around to figure out what was going on.
3.  It's very difficult to see where cannon balls go after being fired.
    (Side Note:  The cannon balls don't appear to come from the actual side of the ship.  It looks like they are coming more from the rear.)
4.  Boarding another ship is very jumpy.
4.  Ships (especially in the beginning of a naval battle when ships can't move very fast) are an obnoxious distance apart.
5.  Load screens are fairly long compared to warband.

These are some of the faults that I've found after only about an hour of playing.  I'm really excited about this game and will continue to post more bugs/suggestions as I stumble across them.  I can't wait to see how this game turns out!

- Brent

Nice post!

I played the game on this week end and I had much fun with it, specially when boarding ships! The rank system is a good idea, and I like the map. This game still has a lot of potential.

Bugs:
- No loot after land/sea battle ? (apart from trade goods sometimes)
- I have seen some ports conquered with left with zero garrison to defend them...
- Moving troops at the start of land battle is somewhat messy/buggy, sometimes after clicking them the icons just disappear and you can't move the troops anymore.
- Don't know why but the only slaves I got were captured at the tutorial battle...

Seems to be unimplemented at this moment:
- Land troops can't be leveled-up.
- Break out prisoners from prison (didn't see how to do it...).
- Duels and tournaments.
- When you own a port the mansion seems very empty and useless...
- Treasure maps!
- At taverns you can gain reputation with the port by buying drinks but there is no point to do it at all for now.

Suggestions:
- Would be nice to add/build some fort upgrades (a wood fort isn't a stunning view, and what would become of it if you could burn it before assaulting it?).
- Update the port scene with buildings purchased by player.
- why does your manufactories and properties can't sell their goods themselves at the end of the day if they still have some ? This costs a lot of money to build these and force the player to handle the goods himself...
- It's a little annoying not being able to give orders to  your troops when assaulting a fort...
- There should be natives tribes or groups marauding the land, specially on this big part of land at the bottom south of the map (yeah, south america).
- Where are the parrots ?
- Would be nice having some companions as ship captains. Just did it with this Van Houten I recruited in a tavern...
- More quests/interactions with lords. And brides of course.
- More town missions.
- Main quest  seems stuck for a while since "chance meeting" appeared in my quest log...
- I'd like to have something else to throw at my enemies than only bombs.
- I totally know it is too much for this game but pirates seems a little lonely without voodoo... Specially when you know it came much later in caribbean... But it's still missing... Maybe a modder will add it as a religion...

I would like to see the following additions to the game:

The ability to transfer ammunition from ship to ship.
A ledger that records the prices of goods in the ports as we visit them.
The ability to choose what ammunition type the ships in our fleet are using.
The option to have a weaponsmith repair your damaged weapons.
A take all button for the cargo loot screen.

I just ranked up to Captain Lieutenant and, being now able to purchase warships, discovered that small warships (sloop-of-war, small corvette) look like merchantmen.
It's not much fun to captain a vessel that looks wrong to you, so I hope they'll improve on that.

John C said:
I just ranked up to Captain Lieutenant and, being now able to purchase warships, discovered that small warships (sloop-of-war, small corvette) look like merchantmen.
It's not much fun to captain a vessel that looks wrong to you, so I hope they'll improve on that.

Also, armed boat (the smallest available ship in the game) looks like a bigger two mast ship in boarding scenes. Should be fixed also.

..."Rent-a-fleet" system still in use: I can disembark in Pomeroon and embark again with my fleet in San Agustin: it's weird. I'd have to go back in Pomeroon to set sail again.

joemclutz said:
..."Rent-a-fleet" system still in use: I can disembark in Pomeroon and embark again with my fleet in San Agustin: it's weird. I'd have to go back in Pomeroon to set sail again.

This has been reported too many times.... the devs obviously don't want to make it good.

Also, why not give us an option to embark on shores just like in Viking Conquest?

joemclutz said:

I actually don't mind that. Since you don't take your ship's crew with you an land you could assume that you give them instructions on where to take the ships while you're ashore.

John C said:
joemclutz said:

I actually don't mind that. Since you don't take your ship's crew with you an land you could assume that you give them instructions on where to take the ships while you're ashore.

I respect your logic friend, but you can also assume that the map is 3D... but it is not, eh? So, I don't want to assume a non-obvious thing just to keep the gameplay immersive...

1) More faces,beards,hairstyles.
2) Ship customization.Its shame that VC have customization,and pirate related game doesn`t.
3) Unique ships.From pirate myths maybe.
4) Better ship combat.It laggs as hell.Ships going underwater bug,and combat is boring as whole.Sid`Meier Pirates style combat will be enough for me,unless you can improve current one,which i doubt is possible on current engine.
5) Unique NPC.Nothing personal,but its unforgivable that you devs of such big mods are so lazy to make different NPC appearances,rather than using default.
6) Tutorial
7) Better interface (More simple)
8 ) More faction related armors.Pirate clothing,Conquistador clothing for Spain.
9) Faster town screen.
10) Bigger variety of locations,instead of clones.
11) More background options like "peasant,and faction related.
12) Choose country from beginning (for relationship boost)
13) Better quests maybe.

wildyracing said:
This has been reported too many times.... the devs obviously don't want to make it good.

Also, why not give us an option to embark on shores just like in Viking Conquest?

Yeah!  :mrgreen:

John C said:

hmmm... Yes and not: I could change my plans and I could not drop 'em a call...

Back
Top Bottom