Suggestions and ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

An additional portion of feedback can always be of help for 'Caribbean!'. So feel free to share your ideas and suggestions on which direction we could take the game next right in this thread.

I really would like a bit of a story. I know it may be a bit to late to add a big extensive one. But maybe smaller ones that feel like a story line but are just massive quests. Maybe you can choose between two different paths. Like trading is my "forte" so I would choose the Trader/Entrepreneur path and it gives me a small story with that. It sounds a bit like the Port Royal 3 choosing system. You can be a trader, a pirate hunter, or even a pirate. 

Go back to the old town menu. Don't have a main menu and port menu that require loading up a scene either. It's irritating. If you want to force the player to load scenes then at least let them walk around those scenes.

I thought it was mentioned somewhere that they might be coming later on. Don't take my word for it though.
Seriously, don't take my word for it. I never said anything.

I suggested something in Snowbird's discussion site whilst playing their last version 0.945.

My suggestion wasn't heard, but I will suggest it again here in Taleworld forum and in Steam, just because I think this would be best for Caribbean - a long awaited game for me and many more, which doesn't turn out to be exactly what we expected...

As you all know, Snowbird decided to remove the typical 3D map of M&B and replace it with a simple 2D picture. No terrain, no jungle, no paths, no mountains, nothing whatsoever... just a flat picture to move around. This is their decision and although I don't like it at all, I can accept it.

BUT, the land part of the map is very small compared to if a 3D map was used instead. The terrain is tiny and the NPC parties are huge in visual icons. Relative map movement takes a hit - moving from town to town overland is very quick, plus the map isn't infested with parties and bandits as it is in M&B. MOST importantly, the typical M&B chase-and-catch mechanics between parties aren't there because of the small size of terrain. Sailing-from-anywhere abuse doesn't help either. Usually one of the parties saves itself into a city or into the sea. Snowbird made NPC parties big and fast moving in visuals and that land terrain small in
size because they wanted to ease up character navigation, but this takes A LOT from the map movement and exploring, typical for any other M&B.

Because they said the 2D map is final and can't be reverted, my suggestion for Snowbird is:
1. Make the parties smaller (in 2D map icons only, not in soldiers!) and slower - just doing that will automatically increase the land size and dimensions, which will definitely make the gameplay better.
2. Add additional ZOOM to the map - this will help to easily navigate the player's party if you implement the smaller icons I suggested above. It is a win-win situation which isn't hard to implement yet it will boost the gameplay a lot.

Another awkward thing is that the player can switch between sea and land movement every time from anywhere. Why is that? Does Snowbird think that pirates in Caribbean actually carried their ships on their shoulders just like the vikings did? The faster this nonsense is fixed the better... so:
3. Fix the docking location,so that the point you step ashore is the only place from which you can sail back to sea, be it a city or a shore. We assume that your ship is anchored there and it can't be teleported. Viking Conquest succesfully implemented this feature, why shouldn't Caribbean do it also?

And one big suggestion for the future versions?
4. It shouldn't be so hard to add natives (indians) with their own settlements and culture on some of the islands? Also native parties roaming around the land, especially in South America?

I really hope Snowbird would listen to common sense and help us and themselves with accepting such easy-to-do solutions which help the game.I am not demanding here, I say PLEASE!
Thank you for your time!

an other thing is that there are no companions , neither is it possible to level up your ship captains, I would suggest that either we can level the ship captains or get companions to level and appoint as ship captains.

gielen said:
an other thing is that there are no companions , neither is it possible to level up your ship captains, I would suggest that either we can level the ship captains or get companions to level and appoint as ship captains.

Great ideas!

Hello, wson here. First i just want to say: Amazing concept and idea, this can become something huge. I for one love it! Anyways i have some Suggestions and Ideas, hope you enjoy!

#1 Give the game more ''UMPF'' (Feeling/Power) that way players will actually feel like admirals on the sea or generals on the field. Not some cartoony Sid Meier gooner.

#2 Naval battles. Maybe you could do it more like Total War: Empire and Napoleon. When you control your ship from the ''control menu'' you see it from a higher view and you basicly command your ships the same way. BUT you can go into ''first person view'' and watch your ships when they do what you have commanded. That will with some awesome pirate music give even the most hardcore gamers goosebumps. Here is a good link for inspiration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czjDGFpMlmA and maybe some more boat types to commands. For example the late game steam boat, or rocket boat?

#3 Diplomacy system with the lords and towns. But do not miss out on democracy either after all it is a game about strategy so please make this game awesome with A LOT of free democracy given to the players. For example, voting in lords for higher positions or strong influence over some pirate captains because you are a fearsome Admiral for the Crown or of the Sea etc..

That is all for now, hope you read it and got something good out of it! Good luck! Im looking forward for the final release! Wow this game can become GOTY #2015

wson said:
Hello, wson here. First i just want to say: Amazing concept and idea, this can become something huge. I for one love it! Anyways i have some Suggestions and Ideas, hope you enjoy!

#1 Give the game more ''UMPF'' (Feeling/Power) that way players will actually feel like admirals on the sea or generals on the field. Not some cartoony Sid Meier gooner.

#2 Naval battles. Maybe you could do it more like Total War: Empire and Napoleon. When you control your ship from the ''control menu'' you see it from a higher view and you basicly command your ships the same way. BUT you can go into ''first person view'' and watch your ships when they do what you have commanded. That will with some awesome pirate music give even the most hardcore gamers goosebumps.

#3 Democracy system with other lords and such, please! Do not miss out on democracy after all it is a game about strategy so please make this game awesome with A LOT of free democracy given to the players.

That is all for now, hope you read it and got something good out of it! Good luck! Im looking forward for the final release! Wow this game can become GOTY #2015

My friend, maybe you meant "Diplomacy" in your suggestion N:3? If so, I back you up! Every M&B mod containing Diplomacy is a lot more interesting strategically wise than Native.

just try making it more like viking conquest

- female characters

- walking in towns, taverns etc

- 3D map

- less bloated software

- more freedom of choice and movement exactly like classic mount & blade

- oh and fix that Portuguese flag bug

you don't really need to be too different to sell your product
we all buy mount and blade because of how it operates
so dont try turning it into something else thats totally unplayable

The game currently seems to be an uncomfortable hybrid of Pirates and Mount & Blade. The Pirates part is rudimentary though OK but the Mount & Blade part is sorely lacking. That campaign map? Shiver me bloody timbers! The naval combat? Blow it out yer bilge! I hope the developers seriously rethink these fundamental elements or this one will not sail very far.

My suggestion, would be to make the campaign map look more like an actual map. And change it so we view it at a slight angle. The top down is a little off putting.

QuailLover said:
My suggestion, would be to make the campaign map look more like an actual map. And change it so we view it at a slight angle. The top down is a little off putting.

I think even with 2D map they could make contours over it plus roads. Also, the movements outside roads should be slower than when on road.
M&B kind of perfected the map... if only Caribbean! could return some of the map features we love so much, even with 2D picture map.

You suggestion about angle view is very nice! I also think that Snowbird should allow bigger map zooming and making 3D map party icons smaller in order to improve the gameplay.

So far my favorite part of the game is boarding, but the problem I noted was that pikemen are boarding too, with their pikes. This is pretty awkward and it practically means their death, why not add them a one-handed knife or something?

The Portuguese flag that you automatically sail under should indeed be replaced. It would be great if you could choose what flag to sail under, even if you are not in the employ of a nation. It would be even greater if this could be used to fool enemy ships and towns, allowing you to pass unnoticed or get close for a surprise attack.

The very greatest thing (about flags) would be the use of signal flags in addition to national ones to interact peacefully with other parties on the map.

For example:
-trade with the other ship
-talk to the captain to exchange information (about prices, wars and such)
-aid vessels in need, or request help yourself (heavy damage or out of food)
-joint attacks against common enemies

There was this older game that had a system for that and it was easily one of the best features.

wildyracing said:
I suggested something in Snowbird's discussion site whilst playing their last version 0.945.

My suggestion wasn't heard, but I will suggest it again here in Taleworld forum and in Steam, just because I think this would be best for Caribbean - a long awaited game for me and many more, which doesn't turn out to be exactly what we expected...

I will not quote this in its entirety.. but everything this man said hits the mark spot on. Take heed to his sage advice, because this game has potential and what this man suggests could turn it from feeling like a bad mod into a great game.

mrwollin said:
wildyracing said:

I will not quote this in its entirety.. but everything this man said hits the mark spot on. Take heed to his sage advice, because this game has potential and what this man suggests could turn it from feeling like a bad mod into a great game.

Thank you sir!

While I kinda like the looks of the new map, I agree with some of the rather nagative points concerning the new map that have been mentioned here:

- Island land masses are just too tiny. No real sense of exploring. Land party icon is almost as big as some of the islands.
- Being able to embark with your ship from everywhere isn't good for immersion. Should be moored where your party landed and stay there till you get back to it. This will also add to tactics too.

The release version also comes with some nice and much appreciated progress since the latest beta:

- The tavern scene is quite pleasing - being able to see the sea and a small harbor from within... nice. Though I'd like to be able to leave the tavern to take a stroll along the beach.
- The town overview screen is much prettier now than during beta! This was much needed.
- Hook hands! Yay! The tavern keeper got one!  :smile:

Things I am missing most currently are:

- Some nice piraty tunes - I have switched the only two tracks the game comes with for now with two tracks from "The Secret of Monkey Island" to get some neat Caribbean grooves. Fits quite well for my taste! I can only recommend this game's soundtrack as a reference to the developers of Caribbean - it's pure atmosphere. Would be perfect to have some more tracks available for different scenes as well. The tavern for instance could use its own track.
- Waves! We simply need waves... Ambient sounds, wind, surf, seagulls (which are already there to some extent).

Thats my thoughts for now. I see a lot of potential. Some steps in the right direction, others not so much.

Back
Top Bottom