General discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

All use the mark, because the official name of he game is "Caribbean!" not "Caribbean", but yeah feel free to use the name without the mark, I may be mistaken, but I think the heavens won't collapse if you do that ^^.

I was greatly surprised that the version of the game e got today, is not the same version as the update from the week ago, great kudos for that.
Info about the things added secretly :
The release version now has a new story line which we didn't show before. Some of its parts could of course be noticed during Early Access by the most attentive players, but hopefully nobody spoiled themselves just yet.

Secondly, companion hiring. Now players can appoint them as ship captains as well.

Next is treasure hunting system. We won’t tell how exactly it works beforehand as it’s closely tied to the story, companions and treasure hunting, so you have this part to explore for yourselves.

In other new additions: the tavern, where players can buy rare collectible weapons and get rid of their prisoners; new town screen and new ‘governor’ construction system — now, when you govern a town, you get access to its special town buildings.

We also updated the siege location. Now attacking and defending sides don’t clash with each other in a narrow bottleneck. We think this should help making the town sieges a bit more challenging.

@Westre all I did was combine the news released by the developers on their site, link on the bottom of the spoiler above.

In the update #8 they listed 10 features that won't be in the game. (all of which you saw in my post above)

While in update #9 this line was stated :
Perhaps we should have announced the amendments in our plans in a bit more delicate way and without causing panic. That’s why we decided to dedicate this post not to the current development, but to where it’s headed next.

To start, the list of features we showed earlier is mostly our work plan for the year ahead.

- Feel free to read details for yourself on http://snowbirdgames.com/

Cheers :smile:

gielen said:
do I have to buy it again as I have bought it in early access, yet it didn't update yet today to the new version

Nope, you don't have to buy it again.
Mine version also hasn't updated yet. Remain patient, it should update sometimes later (or tomorrow at last).

Here is a link to Steam with an info for future versions: http://steamcommunity.com/games/293010/announcements/detail/116302950130240146

Snowbird has actually listened to us gamers! Which is going on for us which is fine  :grin:

There is a hope ahead - after several months Caribbean! could actually become what was expected!

Good work Snowbird!

P.S. And please don't forget your promised an update to wFaS sometimes in the future, because we won't :smile:

wildyracing said:
gielen said:
do I have to buy it again as I have bought it in early access, yet it didn't update yet today to the new version

Nope, you don't have to buy it again.
Mine version also hasn't updated yet. Remain patient, it should update sometimes later (or tomorrow at last).

Here is a link to Steam with an info for future versions: http://steamcommunity.com/games/293010/announcements/detail/116302950130240146

Snowbird has actually listened to us gamers! Which is going on for us which is fine  :grin:

There is a hope ahead - after several months Caribbean! could actually become what was expected!

Good work Snowbird!

P.S. And please don't forget your promised an update to wFaS sometimes in the future, because we won't :smile:

good, I am glad about that. Finally able to hire companions and so on. very glad about that :grin:.

I will keep this as pleasant as possible considering the circumstances.

I have been banned from the snowbird forums and the STEAM discussions because the developers think that my negative comments regarding their lack of content, promises of content, then subsequent backpedaling are all unacceptable.  This "game" is not a game.  I cannot simply let this proceed as a "taleworlds" associated product.  This makes everyone outside of Snowbird games look so unprofessional and amateurish that any future titles would be under a dark cloud; guilty by association.

Paying any amount of money for this "game" is completely irresponsible.  They have not pushed the engine as they constantly claim to have done.  Mods have done the same and better in regards to maps, models, etc.  Naval battles are also not novel or creative.  The arcade-y aspect of this game, for naval battles, is something new, but who plays Mount and Blade for arcade mini games?  Not me.

I put in around 200 hours of early access time, actively commenting, and the developers banned me from STEAM discussions.  Perhaps, it's because someone with so much time in the game is capable of adequately assessing its pros and cons.  Regardless, this game should never be purchased in its current state, and, I don't feel that any Snowbird game should be purchased.  The developers seem wholly amateur and detached.  Every update is pushed back then the updates are modded to inform us that the things they were working so diligently on, for so long, that required extensions, will all be cut, and we'll get a new world map with no zoom and a fraction of the original size.

The fact that this subtopic exists is an insult to all Warband games.  TaleWorlds should delete this for the sake of integrity and ignore all things associated with Snowbird games.  If you're curious, read any of the discussions on Steam from people that play the game before they are deleted or banned.  This game receives nearly 100% negative feedback aside from users who haven't actually purchased the game (according to their STEAM profiles). 

This is less than a mod.  Do not ever purchase.  The "release" version of this game is unstable and less than a mod.  There is no way to salvage this.  I lost $20.00 and got a glitchy, bugged, and strangely inconsistent "pirate" mode with broken naval combat and a strange sense of entitlement like the mods are doing us a favor by making some slap-shot product and giving it to us.  Thank you... I guess... Assholes.

I'm taking a bit of liberty saying this, but...
rwgolden said:
I cannot simply let this proceed as a "taleworlds" associated product.
Oh, so your going to stop them?  May I ask why you're so privileged as to revoke the license from Snowbird games?

In other, more serious, matters,
rwgolden said:
Thank you... I guess... Assholes.
My spider senses tell me that sentences like the one I quoted above are what got you banned. If you have criticism of any taleworlds products or titles, you should probably present said criticism in a relatives kind and constructive manner. I'm sure that's mentioned in the TW forum rules here somewhere. And as you can imagine,  consistently breaking rules may very well end up in you being banned from the forums, so for your own sake, I ask you to refrain from insulting or cursing the developers, or anyone else for that matter.

In my current game I have trouble with two things.

The first is my company's morale. The "recent events" modifier decreases by several points over the course of one in-game day (rather rapidly I feel). Victories against smugglers and other undesirables don't seem to help much.
With four different sorts of food and two sorts of alcohol the modifier for "food variety" is at zero. As a result, I am frequently suffering mutiny, despite being successful in both commerce and war.
Incidentally, it would be nice if the effect on morale of foodstuffs could be seen in their description.

The second is that I can't accurately gauge the number of men available for boarding during combat. Despite having the larger party at the start of a battle, and reducing the enemy crew to half my crew's number in combat, I sometimes end up with inferior numbers when boarding. At the moment I assume that is because my main party suffers losses during the preceding naval battle too, but I can't see these losses anywhere.

If someone could offer any advice on these matters, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Wheras the food issue is obviously a bug.  (Which is a shame, because I really liked the system they wrote before, if troops were forced to eating the same food for too long time, foods bonus to morale turned into minus morale)

The second point of your post was always a bit unpredictable, and I think this may have something to do with traits. Assuming that player is not the only one who possess traits, enemies may just have better boarding traits, which allow them to deploy more troops on the board even when outnumbered? I think this also depends on ships size and how well the sailors are trained.

RancorSnp said:
But the game will have features that will be added to the game LATER and this are very crucial! Contains the following :[/b]

- Multiplayer Game (!) - That's right, the initial release does not contain multiplayer, players have to wait for it to be finished first.
- Naval sieges
- Creating your own towns
- Strategic kingdom control
- Units forming regiments in fights (Player and NPC owned troops with officers, drummers, flag bearers marching in one formation)
- Fort / Castle management - Need to repair walls, buying cannons and other things to make it harder for the attacker.
- Ability to enter taverns
- Native tribes
- Walking on the city scene
- Female characters.

Is this really confirmed? The game would turn into a really interesting purchase if they implement all of this  :smile:

Well probably you didn't want me to be the one to reply, but yes this is really confirmed, as soon as the fixes for current bugs are released Devs move to adding Sieges and Naval Sieges :smile:

- This can change however depending on what they consider players want the most implemented first (MP in my case :razz:)

To start, the list of features we showed earlier is mostly our work plan for the year ahead. What we meant to communicate was that these parts of the game won’t be present in the game on release. The release version will be that solid foundation that we’ll use to expand our project further on.

RancorSnp said:
Wheras the food issue is obviously a bug.  (Which is a shame, because I really liked the system they wrote before, if troops were forced to eating the same food for too long time, foods bonus to morale turned into minus morale)

The second point of your post was always a bit unpredictable, and I think this may have something to do with traits. Assuming that player is not the only one who possess traits, enemies may just have better boarding traits, which allow them to deploy more troops on the board even when outnumbered? I think this also depends on ships size and how well the sailors are trained.

Well, since other than in Warband you can also have a negative food variety value, I think they intended to overhaul that system, but it seems harsh at this time.
You're right about boarding, developing the character further will probably be best.
Thanks for your reply.

Tried it a bit, and it is not good and not finished:
1. It is not done to the release version yet, old bugs with beards, missing loot stayed in release version, however they were reported and known, tavern scene made offhandedly, sneaking in town as pilgrim without actually pilgrim cloth etc. They should've wait 2-3 weeks more and polish it better.
2. New map is bad, it is to much simplified - 2D, combined 3-in-1 locations, unproportional size of lands and parties, and decorative - what the point of beautifully painted mountains and rivers if they do not affect the movement in any way?
3. New town screen - painted better than previous but even much more simplified, and takes to much time to load
4. New command system - maybe advanced in some way, but hard to command with map over your screen and using mouse while in fight and lack of microcommands, or it just i can't find something like Form n rows, Volley Fire, Use melee, Dismount horses etc.
And you can command in siege/boarding - totally stupid :neutral:
To be honest, i do not see much point to add so strategic command system in game about fights of parties consist of only few dozens of pirates, colonists or irregulars mostly
5. Quests - except patents nothing so special, kill bands, get something - analogs is in Warband as well
6. Taverns is a one big decor, they should add more 'life' to it, at least some belligerent drunks
7. Sea fights looks too arcadish for me
8. Not interesting start with soldiers, vessels, money, in WB where you are no one with almost nothing is much more interesting. However, looks like rising from zero here is much more harder.

But the biggest problems are:
-  The game lack of personal acting - the only places where you acts as single individual are -  quest jail escaping, fights and tavern room, in other cases you are a land party or ship. It follows because of minimum of places you can visit in fact, and minimum persons you can interact with very few dialogs - quest you take from abstract boards, hire soldiers in abstract garrisons, buy properties from abstract town window, visit harbor, town hall etc. only nominal. While in WB you in real running by yourself to return mails, find killer, find spy etc.
In this case their hard work on new beards and faces looks as waste of time - what's the point of it, if there is almost no one to talk, and most of them can tell you almost nothing? :roll:
- Lack of characters, especially no females, and places make world quite 'empty' and 'simplified', also it is cuts a lot of WB mechanics/quests or their adopted to the era analogs, there could be - like no tournaments or some fights; no female - so no wedding, troubadours and poems, duels, lady helpings, quests to ransom daughter of guildmaster's friend; in taverns i also did not met any book sellers, travelers and drunks; no villages - so probably no elder's quests, cattle, raiding villages or helping farmers to free it from bandits; no scenes - no quests like find nervous men, or spy in town, or kill trader, also no night robbers; if lords do not give quests - so no bringing letters, gathering taxes, scouting and bringing the food quests(?); and probably some more
- Many elements are universalized - one for all tavern room, one same city screen, same standard icon for same standard colonies, for part of resourse etc.

Game at once lost a lot elements from one side, but do not get a lot from other, now it looks like undone 'already not a WB-like RPG, but not yet a complete strategy', and i doubt it can be completed on this engine. :roll:

Maybe all this transforms called by lack of resources - team/money/time to end the game, but then question why did you started if you can't end this? :neutral:

@shamble,
you sir deserve more likes! Everything you said in your post is exactly what I am thinking! And many more, judging by forums and reviews.

In a matter of fact, I backed up Snowbird on many occasions. But Caribbean! is ready dumbed-down version of Warband as of version 1.0, which I could hardly call a release. MANY features cut-off are like open wounds to the game we use to love and there is very little in return.

The game was immediately cracked and uploaded in some torrent sites and even there some people don't want to play it, even for free :sad: Just saying...

I know Snowbird spent a lot of time and efforts creating Caribbean!, but as you said why they tried making a game if they can't finish it? And why sell it on Early Access and gain money for nothing if they don't want to make what was expected by their customers? They probably forced the release because the lack of money, but I doubt Caribbean! would sell well in this state.

They must do their best to return the game to its M&B foundation, else everything is lost.

Back
Top Bottom