Author Topic: How to make money?  (Read 55218 times)

redwood36

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • WBM&BWF&S
Re: How to make money?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 08:34:49 PM »
you da man!

florinteal

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 03:06:43 AM »
Recruits are not useless.  This is where your Refuge comes in.  Build your Refuge in a central location near the water, somewhere you might land your ships often.  And put the recruits in the Refuge for Harald to train while you are doing other stuff.

Have you actually tried doing this? As a test I just put 23 spearmen into my refuge (as the only troops garrisoned there) and told the trainer to train them. One entire game month later not a single one of them had become veteran spearmen. Either it's broken or so slow as to be just as useless as the training skill.

The only tolerable way I found to play a high rep character was by recruiting an army of mercenaries. And this is just a poor man's viking army. Forget about recruiting faction troops except as cannon fodder, or unless you can be bothered spending months and months grinding your reputation with a village up high enough to recruit elite units outright, which is something they'll probably nerf sooner or later anyway.

JuJu70

• Master Knight
    • View Profile
  • WBVC
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 03:39:04 AM »
Have you actually tried doing this? As a test I just put 23 spearmen

Trainer only upgrades troops to tier3 (spearmen are tier3). That's a pretty decent troop, and you can have several upgraded per week. No he's not going to give you all the noble troops, but the base of your army should be a "spearman", not a noble.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 03:41:14 AM by JuJu70 »

florinteal

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 03:40:28 AM »
Well, in that case I can't think of a single use for it, except maybe training whatever archers you manage to scrounge up into warrior archers. If all you want is basic spearmen then you can recruit them by the truckload from cities.

the base of your army should be a "spearman", not a noble.

You should be able to effectively train your men into more effective fighters. Civilisations have been doing this for quite some time. The fact that the troop tree inexplicably turns spearmen who reach a certain level of skill into "nobles" is more of a flaw in the design of both WB and VC's troop trees than anything else. It would be better to remove any sort of caste influence from the troop trees entirely, have the elite troops simply be more skilled versions of the units beneath them and not knights/nobles/lords/whatever, and let people train their armies properly. As it is you can't even train your farmers into fighters.

Edit: You could even have scripted event popups that occur when you train a certain number of troops to the end of their tree. i.e. when you get 20 elite warriors or whatever, the game prompts you to turn one of them into a bodyguard (huskarl). Thus these units rightly become matters of rank/title rather than their existence precluding the training of highly skilled soldiers that aren't sergeants or nobles or whatever.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 05:08:13 AM by florinteal »

tron666

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 09:53:34 AM »
If you don't mind being hated, besides looting villages you can get lots money from the caravans. With 150+ warriors I get 1000 for each, and without any fighting.
I think it's a lot of quicker and safer than raiding.
I have only 2 friendly factions in England and Ireland, so it also helps because merchants run out of cash pretty quick, just 3-4 villages worth of loot, around 9000.

Kjertesvein

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
So the Reforged Edition, I have a feeling certain things were changes, specifically around trade. I don't believe you can buy wool for 30 and sell it for 900 anymore.

Does anyone have any great tips as of the Reforged Edition in order to make a lot of reliable cash? I find that ransoming prisoners work really well IF you have a ransom broker in the same region. It doesn't work so well if you have to travel half way across the map, due to leaving your holdings unattended. The ransom brokers who are located across random cities tend to give you less gold for each prisoners, so that is a suboptimal solution adding to the tediousness of having to sell individually.

toxic-nova

• Knight at Arms
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 03:13:02 PM »
Trade...before this works you need to know what prices you can expect.

Better option to make money is to raid monasteries. Monks are weak and many of them are just running away. This way you can get good money from the valuable things monks should never posses. :twisted: Bad thing is you get a bad relation with Christian factions.

DrunkenFrenchman

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 08:00:36 PM »
nah screw trade :P

get -10rep. Kill looters and weak bandits, sell it to their lair. Rinse and repeat (lair never runs out of cash).

I'm still doing this at day 150 and getting 10-15k a day thanks to it, just add a step at the end where you go and recruit some northmenn.

Sadrithos

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 05:43:57 AM »
So the Reforged Edition, I have a feeling certain things were changes, specifically around trade. I don't believe you can buy wool for 30 and sell it for 900 anymore.

Does anyone have any great tips as of the Reforged Edition in order to make a lot of reliable cash? I find that ransoming prisoners work really well IF you have a ransom broker in the same region. It doesn't work so well if you have to travel half way across the map, due to leaving your holdings unattended. The ransom brokers who are located across random cities tend to give you less gold for each prisoners, so that is a suboptimal solution adding to the tediousness of having to sell individually.
Nope, wool absolutely still works, but youll only ever find 1-2 in a village, and its often not cheap, but if you look around you find it for 23-30 like before. I search villages for cheap wool, around 30, sell it in dorestad or various other towns for about 700-900 still.

bigtoebubby

• Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SVC
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2019, 08:27:06 AM »
Adding my 2 cents:

I'm playing story mode and this is my trade route.

• Buy wine, jewelery, salt in Dorestad. Sell in nearby towns Lundunwic, Dunwic, Ribe
  • Buy tar in Tunsberg, sell anywhere.
  • Fight bandits along the way.

The income is ridiculous!