DCS World (Digital Combat Simulator)

Users who are viewing this thread

DCS WORLD (SOON TO BE DCS EDGE)
*Did a search but didn't find anything dedicated to DCS.

FC3 module trailer (FC3 is the largest module available for DCS world):

DCS WORLD is a flight simulator that incorporates various aircraft, helicopters and ground vehicles from various time period. Players can purchase aircraft on a modular basis and play SP missions or play online.

You can download DCS world on steam for free (it comes with the SU-25T ground attack aircraft). Additional purchasable modules include other aircraft. I recently bought Flaming cliffs 3 as it was on special, which includes several aircraft. During Xmas sales and mid year sales the modules can be up to 75% off on steam sales.

My favorite aircraft thus far is the Su-27 but the F-15 and Mig-29 have active radar targeting missiles which are preferable. SU-27 and Mig make up for it with better thermal ranged targeting systems in the aircraft.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

The entire engine will get an overhaul soon (free of charge) and will be retitled DCS EDGE.

What are the benefits to EDGE?
· EDGE allows for Direct X 11 support
· Dynamic shadowing of the terrain and mountains
· Clipmap support
· Higher object count
· Higher resolution ground terrain mesh
· More detailed tree models
· Better graphical effects
· High resolution road textures
· Ability for road signs and light signals
· Additional ground clutter (rocks, cactuses, etc.)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80468

Some decent tips for missile jousting/dogfighting anyone getting started:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=32019

Also Orion pointed out that an upcoming feature will me multi-seat multi-player:

Orion said:
You didn't mention the best upcoming feature with/after the EDGE update (almost certainly after, but we'll see): multiple seat aircraft. Support for multiple players in a single aircraft is apparently coming. I think the L-39 Albatross will be the first fixed-wing aircraft to feature this functionality. I also heard somewhere that a team was working on the AH-1 HueyCobra, and another rumor that they may have switched to the AH-1W instead. Either way, that would also feature multiple players in a single aircraft.

Orion said:
If my word isn't enough, here's an official source:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129630

DCS used to be the ultimate realism simulator for choppers at one point. But seeing that they are Russians, and that they have expanded to fixed-wings, and considering the ineptitude and drama surrounding literally every other Russian sim-dev... well, it's worrisome.

Talk to Rebel for an hour, come back and It's still not done downloading. 2 hours and 31 minutes left. Dammit.
I don't have a joystick anymore. That might be a pain in the ass. But anyway, I'd like to at least try it out. Even if it is worrisome. After all, it *might* not be bad.

Ultimate simulators for choppers expanded to fixed wings? There was literally one chopper released before the first released fixed-wing. Next chopper released was again Ka-50 in Black Shark 2, as difference in visuals between Black Shark 1 and A-10 were incredible.

Anyway, DCS games are imho uncontested kings of PC flying. And them not being westerners and focusing also on Russian market gives them lucky hand in picking interesting aircrafts - Ka-50? The most awesome chopper ever built. A-10? Yes, please; never before had democracy such rate of fire! Mi-8? Omg, yes! UH-1? It ain't me, it ain't meee! Su-25? Such win! MiG-21? Yes! Yes! Yes! Another thing, even if you do not consider flying the machines, do download their manuals. They are absolutely outstanding and you will get understanding of how every single piece of equipment in the machine works, as well as insight into tactics, weapon usage and so on.

Notebook and a pen is handy to write down how to start the aircraft.

Definitely one of the best flight sims, also for fixed wings.
And Vraelomon, you really need a joystick to get anything out of this game, imo.

I love this game. Took me hours to get a basic understanding of how to get the F-15 to work, but the reward...

BE1F2D61AF50F827A6DEE85F321DE91868F38890

(I got excited, and forgot to dump fuel tanks, earlier.)

You didn't mention the best upcoming feature with/after the EDGE update (almost certainly after, but we'll see): multiple seat aircraft. Support for multiple players in a single aircraft is apparently coming. I think the L-39 Albatross will be the first fixed-wing aircraft to feature this functionality. I also heard somewhere that a team was working on the AH-1 HueyCobra, and another rumor that they may have switched to the AH-1W instead. Either way, that would also feature multiple players in a single aircraft.

That's really the only thing that could ever convince me to fly an Albatross. The ability to fly with a trainee and show them what everything does without the stress of them actually flying the plane would be wonderful.

BenKenobi said:
Ultimate simulators for choppers expanded to fixed wings? There was literally one chopper released before the first released fixed-wing. Next chopper released was again Ka-50 in Black Shark 2, as difference in visuals between Black Shark 1 and A-10 were incredible.
:oops:

I was only aware of Black Shark. Man, I'm so out of the loop.

Welcome back into the loop :grin:

I've only recently been getting into DCS especially DCS multiplayer with a friend and its great fun. The SU-27 alone has taken me better part of a few weeks to pick up along with its radar and thermal systems. Had some really tense long range and short range engagements with everyone pulling little tricks like beaming, notching, jamming and extending after firing as well as low flying and high flying (low to break radar contact and high to extend missile range). 

Orion said:

Quoted in OP.

If my word isn't enough, here's an official source:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129630

[quote author=September Newsletter]DCS: L-39C and L-39ZA Albatros Coming to DCS World

Another new aircraft coming to DCS World later in 2014 will be the venerable L-39 jet trainer, developed by Eagle Dynamics. We will first release the L-39C variant and then later the L-39ZA variant. This aircraft has acted as the primary jet trainer for many countries around the world for several decades. In addition to its training role, the L-39 can also be loaded with ordnance and act as a light attack aircraft.

We also plan for this module to include multiplayer front seat / back seat capability. We believe that this feature will add a new dimension of gameplay for this aircraft and several others like the UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Hawk, and C-101.[/quote]

The newsletter also mentions the F/A-18C that's in development. That's my most anticipated plane in DCS by far. I hope they eventually make an 18D to go with it and utilize the front seat/back seat capability.

I'd like to try it but none of the aircraft interest me in the slightest - I know I have quite a bizarre taste in aircraft at times but there's nothing that sings out to me. If they had the Hawker Siddeley Harrier*, for example, then I'd be interested.

September Newsletter]We also plan for this module to include multiplayer front seat / back seat capability. We believe that this feature will add a new dimension of gameplay for this aircraft and several others like the UH-1H said:
For a two seater, I'd like a McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II please. Going up against Fishbeds. Hnnnnhhnnng.
Panavia Tornado GR3 or GR4 for me, I think.

harrier%20gr3%20norway.jpg

Venerable F. Sheep said:
For a two seater, I'd like a McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II please. Going up against Fishbeds. Hnnnnhhnnng.

I'll take something with guns on it, thanks. :razz:

rapier17 said:
Well at least the Hawk would interest me, but as for the others?
The Hawk should be going into beta pretty soon, but I have misgivings about the devteam behind it. The C-101 is in beta right now, though, and is quite similar to the Hawk. Look it up.

Not much in the way of two-seaters with guns from that era... I suppose if you don't mind flying a rotary you could go with a AH-1 Cobra? :razz: I'm sure the devs won't mind developing these aircraft for us.

Back
Top Bottom