"Fixes"

Users who are viewing this thread

Just a couple of things I noticed...

- Swords sizes fixed.
This still isn't true, while better than before swords measure 91, not 95.
- Adjusted spears and arrows/bows/slings etc
Spears are no different
Slings are no different
Crossbows may arguably be worse because they've lost pierce for cutting, and while this is fine for bows due to Power Draw, it makes crossbows woefully underpowered.

Edit: I forgot, axe weapon reach still isn't fixed, still getting bloated reach values for weapons that are nowhere near that long (80 reach for some one handed axes, that measure about 64).

we're working on that.

Re crossbows, since noone had seen pictish crossbows other than on drawings, it's hard to say how effective they were.

JuJu70 said:
we're working on that.

Re crossbows, since noone had seen pictish crossbows other than on drawings, it's hard to say how effective they were.

Yeah I thought that was the reason, though for balance it might be better as there'd be no reason to use a crossbow if it's just cutting. Great to see you're working on it though :smile:

Edit: The reach values on the pitchfork and shepard's crook are off too, you can precisely measure them with the ruler in OpenBRF though (only found that out really recently).

JuJu70 said:
we're working on that.

Well, the only pictures we have show Picts hunting a Stag and a Boar. You figure to hunt those it would have to have a minimum of 45lbs of draw weight. Pictures also show the hunter using camouflage to get close. It appears it is being cocked, perhaps held by hand. It would seem likely then that Pict cross bows would not have had much more than 45lbs of draw. Accuracy was likely not up to the standards of medieval crossbows due to not having mechanical triggers.

drosten-stone-zoom.jpg

eu535e7c7b.jpg

I have used Vietnamese Crossbows that would fit that bill. Very primitive, no metal used in their manufacture. Most were made for hunting small game. They had good accuracy at close range. Larger ones were made for Tigers! and, more deadly two legged animals. They were drawn by hand and were very hard to draw (Likely draw weights of 40-60lbs). Accuracy was good only at close range say maximum range out to 100 feet (you could hit a two foot circle, if you were good at that range). Knowing so little about Pictish Crossbows I would think they were similar.

Back
Top Bottom