Programming folks can you help me

Users who are viewing this thread

Overgaul

Sergeant Knight
I just started to study programming and the language used to teach it is so difficult and abstract, I don't really understand it.
But that's ok, the question itself is whether the machine language and assembly language are specific or general languages, and why if you don't mind.
xx

Pascal is general, I think.

Domain-general (like Java, Python, Ruby, etc.) can be applied to a wide variety of domains, while a domain-specific language (like HTML for web, SQL for data, etc.) is only used for one purpose.

Usually (or maybe always - I don't know much about assembly) something as basic as that is going to be domain-general, so that is probably the answer. Since you've likely learned more about this recently, you can be more specific with the answer and fill in the blanks.

If it has a name that isn't focused, it's probably general purpose.

Python, C, C++, C#, LISP, Haskell (kind of), Pascal, Go, Java are all general purpose.

Something like Matlab is more focused.

Machine language and assembly are focused architecturally but are general in that they are everything.

Machine language is the binary the computer reads, i.e. 10011101 is some instruction on some processor. Assembly is a keyword for those instructions i.e. 10011101 could be addr which means add registers. As a beginner, I would ignore machine and assembly. Focus on fundamentals like program flow and control.

Back
Top Bottom