Itunes Alternatives

Users who are viewing this thread

LittleJP

Sergeant Knight at Arms
So, I've recently switched from iPhone to android.
Since Android does not support Apple Loseless format, I've decided to convert my library back to FLAC.

What I'm looking for is a relatively lightweight something that can organize my library by IDE tag similar to the itunes player and supports flac. Hopefully something easy to support since everything is very very disorganized following the conversion to FLAC.

Any suggestions?

As far as lightweight and lossless playback go, can't get much better than andLess. Though last I tried it with a 4.4.2 android, it had problems with opening files, so was kinda worthless. But if it does work, it's a fab little player. Although don't think it had too much librarywise, just adding songs from directory structure to playlist.

Other player I went with for quite a while (due to above not working) was HikiPlayer. Bit clunkier, but still tiny and lightweight. I think it might have had some sort of browse by artist feature and such, but can't recall exactly, been several months since I've had an android phone fit for playing music. Flac support might depend on whether your phone has a codec for it or not.

Though, what kinda phone DO you have though, where you can tell the difference between lossless and high-bitrate Ogg or mp3?

On my phone, it doesn't make much of a difference especially since I don't have particularly good speakers. On my computer with a good soundcard, I can hear the difference depending on the track and how it's mastered. I have a Nexus 6

I use flac for archival purposes mostly.

I should clarify, I don't need a player on the android, but I need a player on my PC.

I use just spotify and windows media player now... but remember when WinAmp was the big thing?

'kay, the android talk confused me there a bit. I'm presuming that you're using somewhat modern Windows then. Not Lunix or AmigaOS or anything like that. If so, please clarify further.

Don't think you can add too many of your own songs to spotify, and WMP and WinAmp... He was asking for lightweight.

For which I do have two suggestions.

XMPlay
Very lightweight, has been built with playback accuracy and lightweight as the main focus points. Also comes with a plethora of add-ons for extra format support. UI does take a bit of getting used to, just about everything on it has a right-click action included. Has a library, but is a far cry from what library-focused players can offer these days. (As a bonus, the support for this is excellent and if you report a problem with it on the forum, it's quite often fixed the next day :3)

Foobar2000
This is, from what I've understood, more a music library with a player tagged to it on the side than anything else. Probably has everything librarywise you could think of a player needing. Haven't used it much myself, but from what I've heard and seen, also a very solid, good player. With all the library. And stuff.

I have a massive (650 gb or so) library, so spotifyis downright out. I have Windows 7, I guess I should have clarified. Huh, is winamp still a thing? I'll take non-lightweight it'll give me what I need.

I'll take a look at Foobar.

J said:
Foobar2000
This is, from what I've understood, more a music library with a player tagged to it on the side than anything else. Probably has everything librarywise you could think of a player needing. Haven't used it much myself, but from what I've heard and seen, also a very solid, good player. With all the library. And stuff.
Foobar is <3

Granted I'm down to a bit over 9k songs but it's got the best library I've used by far.

Back
Top Bottom