How You Can get Solid And Shade Working on Warband Today (Not a Request Thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

If this is not allowed, Please Tell Me.

I am not sure if anybody has done this before (I'd be really surprised if they hadn't), but I figured this would be worth mentioning at least as perhaps the last "Old M&B" module still alive. Especially one that has been considering Warband conversion for quite a while.

The mod has been the work of N0ught, and this method is cribbed wholesale from what Swyter. They are the ones who really deserve the credit. Please do not shoot, crucify, transmute, "alter", or otherwise do terrible things to the messenger.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,199809.0.html

======================================================

Way back when in the era of ancients, when reality scarcely existed and horrible things from beyond the veil tore at it, N0ught responded to a request to port to Warband (By somebody *Other than Me*, mind) with this.

N0ught said:
Nope, sorry. If a conversion ever does happen I will be the one to do it. I have strongly considered at least a multiplayer version for Warband, but right now I really don't have the time. May happen eventually. :wink:

Well... sorry. But I managed to do it for myself, and can share a way that can help others do the same easily. Namely, the method described here, by Swyter (who is also not me). http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,199809.0.html

I take absolutely no credit for this. At present I have virtually nil modding skill; that may change one day but for now I could not mod to save my life. But with this, I was able to port this and 1866 to my Steam Warband in a functional state, and do so fairly easily. I imagine it can be applied to other modules as well.

I do not know what things made the conversion, didn't, what got banged up, and the like. But here is my post on 1866 about it. This should give you some idea of what to expect.  http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,321417.0.html

But from what *relatively little* I have seen, Solid and Shade works *Far Better Than 1866 Did*, with near-equivalent performance compared to its' Native M&B. I noticed a few bugs here and there, but very few. That said, I also mostly hopped around the taverns and engaged in some looter smacking, which is definitely not where Solid and Shade's meat (pun intended) is. So I can only imagine what the hellspawn look or act like...

But that being said, i do think a workable Warband platform could ease a lot of the problems with conversion. Rather than recreating the module wholesale, it is finding what doesn't work as intended and flattening it out. So if N0ught does think of porting this I'd humbly suggest he look into it.

And even if he isn't, I think those who only have Warband and want to play Solid and Shade can enjoy it.

PS:

I can provide Steam screenshots on my profile to prove to people that I am not just jerking everybody's chain, and to show the status of it.

Here is one to sate the appetites of people. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=360964780 I might add in more as I can if there is enough interest.

This is allowed - it just probably will never be supported. Good luck to all who manage to get this to run on Warband though. :wink:

I will likely never endorse an actual porting to Warband, however - much of Solid and Shade depends on the map from M&B 1.011, and I like the animations in the original better.

Season's Greetings everyone, and Merry Christmas Eve!

N0ught said:
This is allowed - it just probably will never be supported. Good luck to all who manage to get this to run on Warband though. :wink:

Thank you for the tolerance, N0ught.

N0ught said:
I will likely never endorse an actual porting to Warband, however - much of Solid and Shade depends on the map from M&B 1.011, and I like the animations in the original better.

Point of order, actually:

Of the two objections, only the animation issue could actually be in play. It *might* have been retained as well in the porting, but I don't know. I would probably have to play longer and/or have a finer grasp of the differences to see.

The map isn't something this method of porting changes. So when you boot it up, it will still register using the M&B 1.011 map modified for this module. I know because I own and play both games, know what the Warband and M&B Original maps look like, what Solid and Shade's map has, and can double check on both.

One of the tell tale clues is the lack of any Sarranid turf or even where they are supposed to be. I've taken another screencap to show that the map does indeed stop with the Khergit territories, and can upload it as proof.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
Edit: And now with Photo Proof. So that you can see how the conversion treated the map.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=362051474

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=362051541

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,130524.msg7594331.html#new                   
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          @kabough

I honestly do not know What The Heck to say. So let me put it this way as politely as I can.

A: I do have the original Mount and Blade. In fact, I didn't just get it for cheap, I got it for FREE when Good Old Games was running their advert. That's how I first started tinkering around in the wonderful world of Classic M&B Mods.

B: The process for doing this consists of shoving the module folder in the right place and moving a grand total of Three Files around.

Three *Text* Files. That are the only things preventing it from being exactly as easy as installing it in the original Mount and Blade. I know because I Have Done Both.

It is about as overcomplicated as I Am Lightweight, and you Clearly do not know what you are talking about in comparison to a modding neophyte.

C: I refuse to dignify "No True Scotsman" hogwash with my time. Please familiarize yourself with logical fallacies.

And most importantly of all;

D: I Do play it on the original Mount and Blade. Along with virtually every mod I could get my hands on for it (especially since I don't have to resort to switching between the different ones just to get them to pop up on the menu like I do in Warband).

This is important because I wouldn't know how the mod is *supposed* to work otherwise, and so wouldn't be able to comment on it like I did.  And I will probably continue playing S&S mostly on the original M&B until somebody makes a more dedicated conversion to squash any bugs. IF somebody does.

But unlike something like 1866- which as I detailed actually Is functional but massively chopped up by the conversion- Solid and Shade seems to be mostly bug free. Probably not to the same degree as I think the Astorionar series would because of how that is almost completely reshuffled Native, but certainly without a bit number of problems.

You should actually know what you are talking about before you condemn it.

And even if you did and still thought so, it's worth noting that This can help expose the mod to people who would Never Be Able To Play it Otherwise.

Sure, the original M&B is cheap you say. Agreed, that it is. But around this time of the year and especially in an economy like this, people generally have bigger fish to fry.

And if nothing else, it might give them a different vantage point* onto the mod so they could consider whether or not they would want to buy the original M&B to play mods like this, given that they don't know one way or the other. It in no way justifies this sort of stuff.

* Besides the very liberal Talesworld demos. Those would give you the full experience with a level and cheat cap, which with the ghoulie spawns would prove rather limiting. In contrast, this conversion on an unlocked Warband would give you a (somewhat) distorted experience without the level cap or the like.

So you could figure out which of the two works better, or compare between the two. And I fail to see how more informed consumers are a bad thing.

kabogh said:
Alright, I tried to indirectly and kindly tell you how uninteresting your suggestion is. Nought too. But you persist.

Let me tell you one thing, don't think you've found something extraordinary.
I won't speak for N0ught, but his comment on this seemed fairly neutral. Further, congratulations on most likely starting a flame war. Really, was that the best way of replying you could think of? May I recommend a book called How to Win Friends and Influence People? Could be of some use when addressing others in the future.
What's uninteresting to you could be interesting to someone else. That's fairly basic, don't you think? This is an open forum, and Turtler has not broken any of the forum rules.

Sides, there have been numerous threads over the years in the S&S section asking for a port to Warband. This could be really helpful for some of those people.

kabogh said:
Let me tell you one thing, don't think you've found something extraordinary. Converting M&b mods to warband have been done many times using your technique and you're not the first to convert S&S to warband. I can even name people from these forums who do play or did play (with proof) S&S on warband. But they didn't annoy us with it and spam walls of text about it.

Secondly, if you can do it that simply, then the average joe can too.
He didn't even take credit for it. Please, read the thread before being rude.

kabogh said:
Your screens are boring and uninteresting. I know how the map and the interface look like. They look the same in warband and in the original game.
That's the point, doofus. :roll:

kabogh said:
Secondly, if you can do it that simply, then the average joe can too, so, for the sake of the community, stop the spam. Please, I beg you.
I don't see any spam. Sure, Turtler is talking a lot about the same thing, and he's cross-posting it in different threads. But it's informative, it's on-topic and it's relevant.

Merry Christmas everybody, and to a Happy Holiday Season.

@Untitled.

Thank you for the kind reception and the support. I apologize for any bother. But more feedback is good indeed, particularly from those who look like they're read my posts.  :Sigh:

As for talking a lot about the same thing, my apologies for that. I probably can and will post about other things regarding this (lovely, gory mod); it's just that things like N0ught's concerns about the map and other commitments have made me push it down. Same with a hunt for interesting screenshots.

So I can actually understand the complaint that it is redundant. But I'm glad you find it useful anyway.

Cheers!

kabogh said:
Alright, I tried to indirectly and kindly tell you how uninteresting your suggestion is. Nought too.

Do you even understand the meaning  of "indirectly" or "kindly"?

Your behavior at this point indicates a big N-O. And rest assured that no matter how uninteresting my suggestion is, it will always be more interesting than some more hostile and nonconstructive posts on the internet.

As for N0ught, you're conveniently overlooking this. (Emphasis Mine).

N0ught said:

kabogh said:
But you persist.

Don't act so surprised. I have not seen A Single Good Reason why I should not. Especially if it only amounts to posting a link to this and some photos about how it compares.

I have cited many reasons why it might be beneficial to people and the mod for this conversion process to work. N0ught has not made any objections, and all you have brought to the table is a ton of hysterics and a logical fallacy middle school students are taught to debunk.

kabogh said:
Let me tell you one thing, don't think you've found something extraordinary.

I didn't. Did you even read my first post?

Turtler said:
I am not sure if anybody has done this before (I'd be really surprised if they hadn't),

kabogh said:
Converting M&b mods to warband have been done many times using your technique and you're not the first to convert S&S to warband.

And again, I would have been surprised if people hadn't.

As I Explicitly Stated.

kabogh said:
  I can even name people from these forums who do play or did play (with proof) S&S on warband. But they didn't annoy us with it and spam walls of text about it.

A Spam Slur? Seriously?

Is "spam" another thing you don't understand the meaning of?

Well, let me put it this way. If you sincerely believed this constituted spam, it is a rules violation you are Obliged To Report.

If it isn't, you are simply being a bully and flamer.

Both of which are Very Much Against The Rules.

Turtler said:
Secondly, if you can do it that simply, then the average joe can too,

THAT WAS THE POINT OF MY POSTING IT.

To share knowledge about how even the average joe with absolutely no modding experience could do it, and have a rough conversion of it.

Again, I explicitly mentioned this in my post. Did you not read?

Turtler said:
so, for the sake of the community, stop the spam. Please, I beg you.

You are too late by half to start (fake) politeness now.

I do not listen to bullies, thugs, or other plagues on a community when they claim I am the one troubling the community..

Turtler said:
Your screens are boring and uninteresting. I know how the map and the interface look like. They look the same in warband and in the original game.

Untitled. responded better than I can. That's The Point.

Like I said on one of those threads; I might post more "interesting" screencaps later. (I already have some of the Anti-Hero gear and the duel with the Alchemist formt he Tavern). But these were made purely to illustrate how.

Turtler said:
Your walls of text are always repeating the same thing, making your text redundant to read.

This is Hypocrisy on two different levels.

For one, there has been Nothing More Redundant than reading through your uncritical flaming.

Secondly, you say my text (so far) has been redundant to read (which I concede it might be), but you made Several Dumb Mistakes that indicate you DIDN'T read it.

Turtler said:
Sincerely, have a merry Christmas you too.

I intend to have a good Christmas (Though responding to your flaming has put a bit of a dent on it).

But I will not bother with fake kindness.

Your behavior on this thread is despicable. It is beyond justification and beneath contempt. Which is why I will report you.

And I encourage everybody else to do the same.

[me=Untitled.]shrugs.[/me]
A lot of the elitism has disappeared from here in past years, but people still get uppity. Nothing worth getting pumped up for. :smile:
Although, granted, Kabogh isn't an old-timer, and not even a Grandmaster Knight, so he doesn't really have any right to be condescending towards anyone else. Especially not for personal reasons. That right's reserved for administrators.

NOt sure if anyone has even tried this other than me, but I found a bug and fixed it:

I noticed when I tried this that the health bar does not work. It will not show any change, and it is impossible to tell how much health you have left.

To fix this, take user_interface_b from warbands native folder, and drop it right in solid and shades texture folder, replacing the old file. While you won't get the awesome healthbar N0ught made, it will allow you to see your health.

so i ve tried this,and game crashes sometimes but works
playing on warband now even if the left side its full of spamming red lines of errors

edit!
Turtler  & N0ught : game crashes and  a small windows says something about skeleton anim,guess its not 100% compatible with warband...

I have never supported or endorsed this concept. There are a lot of co-ordinate specific things going into the next release, that will make this even less possible. Sorry to say.

make this mod even better for original mount and blade,and let warband be as it is
i got both from free on GoG and im happy playing both and testing different mods

xlw00tlx said:
so i ve tried this,and game crashes sometimes but works
playing on warband now even if the left side its full of spamming red lines of errors

edit!
Turtler  & N0ught : game crashes and  a small windows says something about skeleton anim,guess its not 100% compatible with warband...

i actually dont care how it will work on warband cause when i played it on the original the game freezes when on map every half a second

i still dont get it, any one found out how to download it
Edit:for warband, and to make it work
Edit: never mind, got it

Pretty sure it wouldn't run any better on Warband. And the results of trying to run it with that game are unpredictable.

People have reported the skipping on the world map - I can only figure its an issue with older machines - I see a little bit of skipping, but its barely noticeable, and I don't know what causes it. Must be a trigger firing too often or something.

Got a few problems, but at least my world map speed is normal, though. I can't finish the usherwood quest in nomar, oh and a question for the game, how do I get to hades's underworld, cause I got infinity stone, am past level 30, have all sets for evil, and did all spells, oh and what do I do with my rat familiar.
Whe I go to the blood fountain, I get no option to choose becoming lich, werewolf, or vampire.

Malgus20033 said:
Got a few problems, but at least my world map speed is normal, though. I can't finish the usherwood quest in nomar, oh and a question for the game, how do I get to hades's underworld, cause I got infinity stone, am past level 30, have all sets for evil, and did all spells, oh and what do I do with my rat familiar.
Whe I go to the blood fountain, I get no option to choose becoming lich, werewolf, or vampire.

I really know how to help you but give you some advice that you may have already done you self:

To get to the underworld you have to be over lvl30 and have the infinity stone and all of the items that give you a extra bonus skill in your inventory. So you have to re-craft them all again after you do all of you spell since a few of the spells use those items. Also, you don't get into the underworld be talking the the ferryman you have to go past him and go directly into the underworld. And I'm sorry if you didn't need the last part of that but some people don't seem to know that you can do that.

I don't really know what you can use them for besides the fact that I think they're supposed to give you extra points in you strength/agility/intelligence/charisma.

You have to go and talk to the blood-fountain about the dark legends and go and select the plagues of the sun, the earth, and the moon. Then the options should pop up.

Back
Top Bottom