Where is Sweden?

Users who are viewing this thread

I can't see the point why sweden should excist in this game since it's lords would have done nothing more than the allready exsisting Danes and Norwegeans: patroling around their territory and never crossing the sea.......

There were Swedes who lead raids into England as well though. i can provide citiations if needed but it should be fairly common info for the period.

Id love to see a mod, some day, with Normandy, Iceland, Shetland, Far Oer, Greenland, Vinland, Russia (with sailable rivers!), Finland and Brittany.

AamuZombi said:
Finland should definitely be added as well, and make all finns run around without shirts wielding birch logs as clubs :grin:
why not add the complete baltic? or just eurasia? ya know what? make it a real world kind of map, with skraelings and ****

CeltiberoCaesar said:
Sorry for disappointing you all :sad: The DLC is about what it is about... It would makes sense if the period and story were more "wide".

Its about focus. You could have a world map with 41 factions and a hundred cities/villages like 1257AD or a smaller map but with focus on a particular playstyle.

For VC we have a viking world -> custom ships, sea battles, raids, cool quests, spear war that works, less archers and knights, etc. I like it.

I dont want to farm rocks in Scandinavia. I want to raid monasteries in Britannia. Or defend my burgh in Mercia. For me this DLC does that and I am happy  :razz:

Redleg said:
I was disappointed to see that there weren't any Rhodoks, Sarranids, Swadians, or Khergits in the game.  Not to mention the complete lack of horned Viking helmets.

This isn't calradia and real vikings never wore any horns their helmets.

Your forgetting that Bjorn Ironside took a significant portion of Sweden before the invasion of England, after a Swedish Jarl killed two of his brothers. This is what provoked Ragnarr into invading Northumbria, and after his death, his sons. If Bjorn is in England in this game (which he is), so should some swedes. Id love to see at least some of sweeden. If you really wanted to balance it you could ad some of Sweden, make it a new, smaller faction, split Northveger into 2 factions, maybe adding a couple of cities (or not, depending on how big you make a Swedish faction) then to add a bit of room east (for the Swedish accommodation), add skjalland and make Sigurd its king with a ferry station to Denmark. This could add some infighting between Vikings and make the east a little more dynamic (which it was).

I mean if Bjorn is in the game, at least add his little part of Sweden :razz: If you want Bjorn in England to help his brothers, give him a city in England and give them and Northumbrya permanent alliance until the story ends.

I could understand certain reasons why there is no Sweden in game, but why there are no Norman and Breton coasts (the Frankish and Breton factions)? Both areas were the objects of the major Viking raids right since the middle 9th century (840s-860s).

This makes the Channel looking kind of claustrophobic and fragmented.

Prince de Radzivil said:
I could understand certain reasons why there is no Sweden in game, but why there are no Norman and Breton coasts (the Frankish and Breton factions)? Both areas were the objects of the major Viking raids right since the middle 9th century (840s-860s).

This makes the Channel looking kind of claustrophobic and fragmented.

Hi Radzivil,

That is just because the DLC is about the British islands invasion.

CeltiberoCaesar said:
Hi Radzivil,

That is just because the DLC is about the British islands invasion.
I understand, but Brittany is closely linked with their Celtic counterparts (Cornish and Welsh) in Britain, while the Franks are already part of the main VC storyline in many aspects. Plus there is no need to enlarge the map much.

I agree with Prince De Radzivil. Adding a little will not diminish the focus on the invasion of england, and still make the game a little more dynamic. As it stands, if conquer Frisia, Danemark, or Northveger you become extremely wealthy because nobody ever invades you. This would add a little more balance to the game, more options in the invading of england, and give you more options to just be a viking, or even a defender of the faith repelling vikings form the french coast/coast of Brittany. Heck you even have troop line for them already - Cantabrian Warriors/Frankish Cavalry. Im all for options that make the game even more dynamic, and this certainly would without taking the focus off the invasion of england.

hrotha said:
How is adding two brand new factions "adding a little"?
Technically the Bretons are the direct descendants of the Brythonic population of the Britain (mostly Cornish) that settled in the area several centuries before the year of the game start. Plus Brittany was consolidated into technically one faction right during this time. There are not really many *brand new* things to represent them well.

The Frankish kingdom is a bit other story so, but I believe adding proper Frankish stuff (especially for cavalry) would only enrich the game. With some additional perspectives of representing historical struggle between the Bretons vs. Franks, and Franks vs. Vikings both against the raids in Normandy and trying to reconquer Frisia (which is also absolutely lethargic and isolated now), with great influence on the British Isles affairs.

I understand that this hardly could be a priority in any foreseen future, but at last something to consider I hope.

Prince de Radzivil said:
but I believe adding proper Frankish stuff (especially for cavalry)

Game is balanced for shield-wall instead of cavalry, as it is historical correct and also as a main difference between native and most mods. Not having heavy cavalry easy killing around may sound strange, it makes the game harder, but it also makes it unique, as much as the mods with firearms (relative to native).

Its really hard to cross the sea with horses. William the Conqueror did that two centuries later (in game era) and it was a huge factor for victory. It would break immersion if we had in 867 lots of horse fights. The alternative would be to program the franks AI to be defensive and never invade England (can do a raid, but not conquer territory, not send multiple armies with a marshal).

Or do something entirely different. In any way it would be a major addiction to the game that would require a total rethink about balance and game mechanics.

One major issue we would have right now: shield-wall in-game cant turn back rows. So if you have 100 spear + 40 heavy cavalry you would simple win every fight losing less than 5 guys. Just tank with spears, move cavalry behind and destroy them in one charge. They will die/rout in less than 10 sec. Rinse and repeat.

Another one: we would need a brace spear formation/command.

And so on.

TLDR: no addiction to the game is as simple as you may think when you think about history and game balance.

kalarhan said:
Prince de Radzivil said:
but I believe adding proper Frankish stuff (especially for cavalry)

Game is balanced for shield-wall instead of cavalry, as it is historical correct and also as a main difference between native and most mods. Not having heavy cavalry easy killing around may sound strange, it makes the game harder, but it also makes it unique, as much as the mods with firearms (relative to native).

Its really hard to cross the sea with horses. William the Conqueror did that two centuries later (in game era) and it was a huge factor for victory. It would break immersion if we had in 867 lots of horse fights. The alternative would be to program the franks AI to be defensive and never invade England (can do a raid, but not conquer territory, not send multiple armies with a marshal).

Or do something entirely different. In any way it would be a major addiction to the game that would require a total rethink about balance and game mechanics.

One major issue we would have right now: shield-wall in-game cant turn back rows. So if you have 100 spear + 40 heavy cavalry you would simple win every fight losing less than 5 guys. Just tank with spears, move cavalry behind and destroy them in one charge. They will die/rout in less than 10 sec. Rinse and repeat.

Another one: we would need a brace spear formation/command.

And so on.

TLDR: no addiction to the game is as simple as you may think when you think about history and game balance.
I agree with you, but heavy Frankish cavalry is already in game as mercenaries (not ideally represented but still)? In addition to "regular" Frisian unit tree medium cavalry. If one would want he could potentially use now the tricky tactic you mentioned. So, this disbalancing factor is already in. People probably do not use it for their advantage in game that much.

The transportation issue you mentioned is very interesting too. As of now it is not realistically represented in game unfortunately, when you can take any number of horses/horsemen on your ships. The captives numbers you can transport do not take in account the place on the ships as well (only number of the troops), etc etc. These issues are already in and need to be fixed somehow. Perhaps with horsemen occupying three/four places on the ship instead of one? Consuming lots of grain from inventory? I do not see how the new faction would change anything in that regard except only motivate the developers to represent this in more realistic and historical way.

Of course the addition of the Franks would need a lot of improvements but in many cases this would fix many oversights for the whole game in general. And as I said I understand that this would require a lot of work.

Maybe adding brittony would be ok because at this period it was threatened by vikings (enven by a so called Ragnar's son http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastein ).

I don't think the frankish empire should figure but It would be possible featuring some monasteries (like Montreuil) or some neutral ports no one can take (Boulogne) but you can pillage, with some villages.

That would make the English Channel less empty.

Back
Top Bottom