What be on yer noggin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My uncle went to prom with a girl and came back with a teacher. Also he was fuggin a PE class teacher and when he left her she started being a ***** with one of her students, my mom
Me, on the other hand, almost kissed a girl once

crodio said:
Me, on the other hand, almost kissed a girl once

Some performances are better than others. That rendition of the Semyonovskiy Regiment's march was terrible, but I think this William Tell Overture is pretty keen:

I'm not sure I get it. It's like a bell chorus where a bunch of people have 2 bells each?

Edit:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-bill-calls-animals-sentient-beings-and-includes-jail-time-for-cruelty-1.3102399

sentient beings

30svpyh.jpg

Didn't know there were so many dolphins and chimpanzees in Quebec. Well, maybe not the chimpanzees...

Mage246 said:
Sapient would be referring to humans.

I know that, but I heard that certain animals (such as dolphins and octopi) do come very close to sapience. Sentience is anything with a fully-working brain IIRC. That is, considering that I'm kinda-but-not-really sure that intelligence is not a binary sapient-or-not thing like a light switch.

All this is referring to Dryvus' source, obviously.

Dryvus said:
I thought self-awareness was the criteria. Maybe that's outdated.

From what I know:

Sentience is anything with complex brain functions, ranging from humans to dogs and cats to crocodiles. Excludes plants and bacteria, which are alive, but not sentient as they have no brain or self-awareness.

Sapience is full self-awareness, capable of stuff like calculus and philosophy. Typically humans are regarded as the only sapient race on Earth, although from what I've been led to believe that's mainly because of our capacity for complex communication and language.

I could be totally wrong though, I only half-remember my biology classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom