Could we terraform Mars?

Users who are viewing this thread

I just read that Mars has ice on its polar cap.

Could we melt it?
Is it possible to terraform the planet so we could colonize it?

If yes, what would be the cost or how many decades/centuries would it take to do it?

Also would it be useful for us to colonize Mars?

And if we colonize it, who would rule it?
Would it work like when Europeans colonized the Americas with each country staking claims from right to left?

What I'd like to know is how the Mars folks ****ed themselves over. Knowing this may help us not do the same.

Also, I want an igloo on mars.

I didnt say he was wrong, I was just looking for what he read. I actually saw a documentary about prescisely this a couple months ago. They said that....well, I cant remember it, but it was interesting.

God dammit...something about...something...alright nevermind.

Havoc said:
What I'd like to know is how the Mars folks ****ed themselves over. Knowing this may help us not do the same.
What if Mars had intelligent life a long time ago... that would be interesting.

Finding a lost Martian civilization would be awesome!

Havoc said:
I have a theory. What if the dinosaurs had a civilization much like our own and Mars had their own civilization. Diplomacy failed and nuclear arms started being fired at each others planet. Mars was hit harder but the nuclear weapons doomed the dinosaurs. It would explain what the "Meteor" was and that it actually was nukes hitting earth. Never forget 20,000 BC when the dinosaurs saved earth by destroying Mars.

Man, i love this topic.

ejnomad said:
But it lacks an ozone layer and more importantly a magnetosphere to keep the atmosphere needed to transform it into anything Earth looking.

If mars was topped up with gasses every few thousand years it wouldn't be an issue. The biggest problem would be low gravity which could severely mess up organisms, but we're not sure how badly it would affect them.

The fine iron oxide dust could also be an issue as it's whipped up into planetwide storms every few years. If an organic soil was based on that, there's the chance that it would dustbowl on the equator if it got too dry, potentially making that area unlivable.

If it were to be done, the answer would be nanobots, unleashed into the atmosphere where they'd convert the water into gas. There's a bunch of silly talk of artificially polluting the atmosphere which would be a 1960s solution to a 2200s problem, although even the nanobots idea might be outdated by the time it comes to earth-ify the planet.

What might slow down the process would be conservationalists worried about native martian species (i believe mars is currently lifeless). Hopefully by that time we're back in the 1800s australia mindset of giving no craps for wildlife, so we can start putting massive 300ft pine forests and overgrown predators on that low-gravity planet.

RabbleKnight said:
Would it work like when Europeans colonized the Americas with each country staking claims from right to left?

There are international treaties in place banning any state from claiming any part of a celestial body.

Ne-
Warning - while you were reading 3 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

God dammit. Going anyway.
Gaham:
BLPgOyrCcAEtvSa.jpg
Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Docm30 said:
RabbleKnight said:

There are international treaties in place banning any state from claiming any part of a celestial body.
I doubt the space race will be that competitive anyways. Only a handful of countries launch their own rockets and the rest hop on board of them.

@Vraelomon Obviously nuclear Armageddon.

Docm30 said:
RabbleKnight said:

I can imagine those would be quite quickly forgotten if they came across open gold or diamond mines in the deep basins like hellas or argyre. And both are quite possible given Mars' geology.

I don't doubt countries would try to around them, but the treaties give other countries legal backing to forcibly stop someone from exploiting or claiming a celestial body without permission. All the countries capable of exploring space have plenty of reason to fear each other, too.

Docm30 said:
RabbleKnight said:

Believe me, if there valuable resources to be found and its possible to go get it, no one will give a **** about any treaties.

The USA will bring freedom to Mars!

Back
Top Bottom