Kingdom of Mercia - Recruiting EU / NA

Users who are viewing this thread

200px-Saint_Alban%27s_cross.svg.png

Please Note - This clan does not claim to be historically accurate with our names or our methods, and we don't honestly care if that bothers you.
We will vigorously ignore any hate or comments on our historical accuracy or lack thereof.
Carry on.

As a side note, if anyone chooses to make a clan that's based on a part of Mercia, that is fine with us. We just want Mercia because Mercia is cool. We won't lay any claim to sovereignty or superiority or anything like that, and will respect the right of any clan or house within Mercia to their own independence.

In History

Mercia was the dominant kingdom in southern England in the eighth century, and maintained its position until it suffered a decisive defeat by King Egbert of Wessex at the Battle of Ellandun in 825. Egbert briefly conquered Mercia, but it recovered its independence in 830, and thereafter the two kingdoms became allies, which was to be an important factor in English resistance to the Vikings. The Mercians traditionally held overlordship over Wales, and in 853 King Burgred of Mercia obtained the assistance of King Æthelwulf of Wessex in an invasion of Wales in order to reassert their hegemony. The same year, Burgred married Æthelwulf's daughter.

In 865 the Viking Great Heathen Army landed in East Anglia, and used it as a starting point for an invasion. The East Anglians were forced to buy peace, and the following year the Vikings invaded Northumbria, where they established an obscure Northumbrian man called Egbert as puppet king in 867. They then moved on to Nottingham in Mercia, where they spent the winter of 867–868. Burgred was joined by King Æthelred of Wessex and his brother, the future King Alfred, for a combined attack on the Vikings, but they refused an engagement and in the end the Mercians bought peace with them. The following year, the Vikings conquered East Anglia. They returned to Mercia in 872; two years later they expelled Burgred, and Ceolwulf became king with their support. Ceolwulf was described by the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as "a foolish king's thegn" who was a puppet of the Vikings, but the historian Ann Williams regards this view as partial and distorted: he was accepted as a true king by the Mercians and by King Alfred.

In-Game

We aim to provide an organised and competitive clan for our members, while keeping everything reasonably casual and fun. We will attend (and host) events regularly, and we hope to get involved in the competitive aspect of Viking Conquest, once we reach that point.

We will operate a hierarchal structure to keep everything organised. Below is an overview of the ranks we use.

King / Queen
Overall leaders of the clan. Mostly relate to administration and mediation, not necessarily always present on the battlefield.

Earl
The leaders of each detachment. Typically, an army group will have several Earls, one superior and several other secondary Earls who aid in the leadership and administration of the detachment.

Gedriht (Yed-Rikt)
An Earl's personal guard. Akin to a sergeant. Keeps the troops in line and keeps discipline among them during events.

Duguth (Doo-Guth)
Translates roughly to 'Old Soldier'. A distinguished and skilled player who serves as a rock for the less experienced players to rally around. Mostly an honorary title.

Geoguth (Yoo-Guth)
Translates roughly to 'Young Soldier' (similar to modern 'Youth'). The basic soldier - the bulk of Mercia' s soldiers will carry this rank.

Total Members - 50

How to Join

Joining is easy. Add [Warlance] Althalus on steam, join our teamspeak on ts3.warlance.eu, or join our game server and find one of our members (Kingdom_of_Mercia_Invasion).​

Hospes fori said:
althalus311 said:
Thanks for the nice sentiment.
It was my pleasure.

althalus311 said:
In other words, we do what we want gtfo >.....>
althalus311 said:
What, specifically, is annoying? Genuinely curious.
Would you mind to settle on a coherent demand?

Alright, no problem.

Tell me what your problem with this is instead of being incredibly vague about it.
After that, feel free to get over it and move on.

I don't think there's any ambiguity there.

althalus311 said:
It is less of an ambiguity than a contradiction. After I had uttered, my disapproval you stated that you and yours do what you want and told me to "get the **** out". However afterwards you proceeded to ask me about the reasons for my disapproval. It is quite inconsistent to tell someone that you basically do not care for his opinion but at the same time ask him about his reasoning.

althalus311 said:
Tell me what your problem with this is instead of being incredibly vague about it.
The reasons for my disapproval, which I share with several others, have been discussed to quite an extent in different threads of this section of the forum already. To keep it brief, by choosing the name Kingdom of Mercia for your clan you are displaying a notable lack of imagination or plain slothfulness, indifference towards others respectively simple ignorance and general indecency. People like kraggrim, Leifr Eiríkson and rapier17 have already explained the issue very clearly.

Hospes fori said:
althalus311 said:
It is less of an ambiguity than a contradiction. After I had uttered, my disapproval you stated that you and yours do what you want and told me to "get the **** out". However afterwards you proceeded to ask me about the reasons for my disapproval. It is quite inconsistent to tell someone that you basically do not care for his opinion but at the same time ask him about his reasoning.

althalus311 said:
The reasons for my disapproval, which I share with several others, have been discussed to quite an extent in different threads of this section of the forum already. To keep it brief, by choosing the name Kingdom of Mercia for your clan you are displaying a notable lack of imagination or plain slothfulness, indifference towards others respectively simple ignorance and general indecency. People like kraggrim, Leifr Eiríkson and rapier17 have already explained the issue very clearly.

Ok, I get it now. I had missed the massive drama around the name people choose for their clans before (somehow).

Back
Top Bottom