The Eagle and the Radiant Cross Spin-Off - Murond: The War of the Winners

Users who are viewing this thread

Vaeya

Sergeant at Arms
Hello all!

Like many - if not - all of you, I loved 'The Eagle and the Radiant Cross'. In an attempt to escape the pains and actual struggles of life/studies, I thought I might try and make a mod set in everyone's favourite pseudo-England, Murond!
Rather than the actual Civil War itself, I had the idea of a Mexican Revolution sort of scenario, where the various winners start to fall out. Ideally it would be a series of scripted events, with divisions between former allies, betrayals, the return of royalists, and more chaos!
D'Sparil and Somebody have both been very kind to give the green light and to use the resources from the The Eagle and the Radiant Cross, but now I need you, the players, the writers, the modders, to help me! Mainly because I'm really not a modder so much as a 'Ooh, Morgh!' kind of guy, but also because the beauty of The Eagle and the Radiant Cross - and Mount & Blade - lies in the community.
So, yeah - any stories, skills, or even vague ideas - please shoot!

No, I'm trying to pick up Python in the holidays. I just thought I'd make a thread in case others with similar ideas were interested in working on something - if it's not the done thing, I'd be happy to get rid of the thread till I've got something.

I'm not well-versed in Python, and a bit short on time, too - but if you get started on things, I'll be happy to play around with any bits of problematic code.

Apart from that, I can proof-read, playtest and complain about balance problems :wink:

Hello there,

I was actually planning on doing a mod on the whole Murond area for quite some time and unfortunately just haven't really gotten around to doing it.

The time period i was planning around was 1500 (same time as chapter 3). Though it seems you're going for more of the build up to the reformation of Murond (1495 I think) I'll post what I had come up with for yu to use if you like as I might not get to it anytime soon. I should also note that I have done a piece on Murond (which was not nutured by time and beer) and see that garbage. So onto the point of this post:

TEATRC: War on the Obello Sea

Murond's History
Based on the War of 1066 in England. The island of Murond was a rich kingdom with its mines in the (uninhabitable/unexplore region of the island) the growing jealousy of the poorer clan tribes caused a great invasion in southern Murond. The Murond king gather his forces and marched south to send the rotten highlanders back to the sea from wence they came. Lauria, seeing an opportunity, gathered it's own invasion force and set sail (lost my notes on who from the Laurian line would be the invader). When the Murond King had finished with the Highland Clans, he took his exhausted troops North to deal with the Laurians.  Over powered by the well organized might of the Laurian army, the Murond troops were routed. Refusing to surrender, the Murond King was trambled by (particpating Knightly Order of Lauria). Having only a younger brother and a young son as heir to the line of Murond, the Laurians made a deal with the brother. If the brother agreed to fealty to Lauria and send the son as a ward, they would allow him to rule Murond till the son became of proper age. The brother, being a craven, agreed greatfully.

1495 - With Queen Imelda's war in Calridia, the heavy taxes on Murond reach their breaking point. Miners gather deep in the depths of the mountain, holding each other's black, dirty hand conversing of the rotten nobles living a life of luxury as the common people struggle to survive. Silence fills the cave as three men, once wealthy merchants now poor as everyone else, walk into the crowd. One stands on a crate they just brought in, "Too long have you gone hungery, while men who think themselves gods feast on your labour. Too long have your love ones suffered, as the ones who think they are high crawl into their warm beds. No longer! No man is above another, no matter his station, for the blood that flows through his veins is the same of anyone in this cave. Behold!" The man unvales a brown, leather book, "The Code! The Code, written in blood of common and noble, a guide of how every man must treat another. Come forth and swear by the code, to treat each other equally, thy brother, thy neighbour, thy enemy. All men who bleed red. Come forth and swear." As each person swore on the book, the black imprint of everyone's hand became prominant. The Black Hand was born.
In the crates were firearms. In an attempt to hinder Queen Imelda, the Haelmar Union smuggled crates of the weapons into Murond. Proving an overwhelming success with the free folk of Murond, it wasn't long before Waymouthport was stormed and the craven king's head and the rest of his family was beheaded and piked on the gates of the harbour. With the Island solely under Murond control the entire country celebrated, though soon after began to mourn. Their charismatic leader, known as George Blackhand had been killed while storming the keep of Waymouthport by a Laurian Knight. The only person to see this was George's right hand woman, Mary Perriton (also know as Bloody Mary for sending her troops into blood bathes) and her private Guard. The book in which the Black Hand had sworn on had also gone missing, but Mary annouced to the people of Murond that every household shall recieve a copy as she still "remembers" what George listed in the original book. She will install the political cabinet he fought so hard for and shall take his seat as Prime Minister to keep his memory strong.

War on the Obello Sea -1500 - 1505 (Chapter 3 era)

Essentually the side mod was going to include 5 factions: the Democracy of Murond (governed by Bloody Mary), the True Kingdom of Murond (led by the child of the old king of Murond, now a man formed into Laurian ways), New Zendarr (essentually a neutral pirate faction), the Holy Kingdom of the Highlands (led by an elected King who opted to join the Lion Throne when they came a knocking and councilled by the 4th Deva of Filaharn, the Cross in the Eyes-Sword-Fire-Cross-Seed bit) and the Free Spirits of the Highlands (rebels against the Lion Throne, William Wallace style).

The map would go as south as Gunther and Piedmont, and go as far north as the coast of Lauria and be wide enough to include New Zendarr and the edge of the map. One feature i was going to do since most of the map is water was to have the water a completely crossable terrain and have "rivers" around the coasts with "bridges" at coastal cities/towns/castles instead of the simple paths across water like on the clash of kings' map.

Now to the troop trees.

Democracy of Murond
When I thought up this line i was keeping in mind that they were suppose to be like the IS, but not like the IS.
Village
Patriot Minutemen (peseant with a musket)
->Patriot Linemen (tough unit with a musket-bayonet)
-->Patriot Guardsmen (tougher unit with a musket-bayonet)
->Patriot Horsemen (light calvary armed with varying rifles. Used to move to a position quickly or chase routed units)
-->Patriot Calvary (better version of the same design)

City
Patriot Leutenant (murond pistolier in spiffy clothes)
Patriot Engineer (shotgun and an axe)
Patriot Sapper (hand cannoneer)

Unique
The Bloody Guard, Waymouthport (Murond pistoliers with a breast plate on a horse)

The True Kingdom of Murond
I aimed for this to be more like the Lion Throne style of recruitment, with the two tier village and multi-class choice from cities.
Village
Loyalist Levy
->Loyalist Longbowmen
->Loyalist Billmen

City
Laurian Standard Bearer
Laurian Pikemen
->Laurian Coselete
->Laurian Rodelero
Laurian Arquebusier
->Vetren Laurian Arquebusier
Murond Yeoman
->Murond Knight (light armoured but hard hitting lancers)
Laurian Harquebusier
->Vetren Laurian Harquebusier

Unique
Grey Goose Knights, inserted Laurian Coastal city

New Zendarr
So the story behind this faction was with the high taxes in Murond there was alot of crime and so the king needed a spot to put the criminals that couldn't fit in the dungeons of Murond. So the prison of Zendarr was built, and eventually the prisoners took it over and made New Zendarr, pirate city of the sea.
Village
New Zendarr Marooner (fast moving cutlass weaving)
->New Zendarr Corsair (same as before but with a pistol and 4 shots)
-->New Zendarr Swashbuckler (now with more shots and skill)

City
New Zendarr Privateer (blunderbuss and cutlass, with a spiffy trwnch coat)
->New Zendarr Buccaneer (same as before but with more skill)
->New Zendarr Bombardier (pirate with a hand cannon...what could go wrong)

Unique
?

Holy Kingdom of the Highlands
Essentually the same as in the original tree of the Lion Throne (chapter 3) except the Ellisian village line is part of the city recruitment, and Highland Kern -> Highland Gallowglass are recruitable from the villages.

The Free Spirits of the Highlands
Village
Clan Warriors
->Clan Iaosae (rock thrower)
-->Clan Baguada (javalin thrower)
->Clan Vetren Warriors
--> Clan Solderus (heavy warrior)

City
Clan Hobelar (light lancer)
->Vetren Clan Hobelar (more skilled light lancer)
Clan Druid (bowmen)
->Clan Woad Warrior (typical naked badasses who'd give the brigadiers a run for their money)
->Clan Woad Druid (better bowman)

Unique
The Highland Watch, ? (Claymore-Musket weilding badasses)

So that's all my notes essentually. Use what you want, all or nothing. This was just stuff i've been sitting on for awhile.

Good luck with the modding, hope you get much farther than me.

So here's some more lore, this time revolving around the clans and how things made it to where they are in the coming side-mod.

The many clans are lock in a bitter fight between each other over land and cattle. Magnus, the head of one of the stronger Clans stops the fighting by giving a promise to make all the clans rich. They set sail for Murond. Once there they meet the superior numbers of the kings army and Magnus falls, routing the soon to be bickering clansmen. Once back at home the fighting is renewed and the clans split once again.

1495ish - the son of Magnus, Magnus II, now a man, sees to stop the fighting like his father, but is stumped on the path to take. While conjuring an idea, an old man in worn purple robes enters his court, "I see what troubles you and I know in which way you must fix it."

Intrigued Magnus begs him to continue.

"Your belief. Of the bear and the wolf and the hawk. So many different things with so many different goals. Some of your people worship one, others another. That is why your people fight. The bear cannot like the eyes of the hawk, nor the hawk of the cunning of the wolf or the wolf of the strength of the bear. What you need is one animal. A lion. Strength, honour, pride, loyalty. A lion is the head of a clan and bestows gifts to those which are loyal to him. Behold, my loyalty to him has granted me with immortalty!" The old man raises his hand and conjours a dagger in his other, then thrusts the dagger into his open hand. When the dagger is removed no blood pours from his hand. 

When Magnus II asked the old man how he can learn to be immortal, he laughed, "It can not be learned, but given by the white lion himself, and only to the truest believers of Filaharn, like I."

And to the protest of the Magnus' own priestess he beckened the old man to teach him of Filaharn. When asked about his name he would only say "Zendar".

1499 - A Kingmoot is called upon all the clans. Many Heads of their clans speak to their kin stating they would make the better Highland King, but all paled to the son of Magnus. Cheers roared out as they elected him as their King though they soon came to regret their decision. With his reign came the burning of the old gods and the introduction of Filaharn. Some of the clans imbraced the new faith. Some protested quietly. And those who opposed Filaharn went into hiding or were crucified. Not all hope was lost, as the druids of the old gods saw the future and a champion would be born to fight the dreaded white lion.

In the winter of 1499, Lion Throne scouts reported an entire outpost razed to the ground. Reinforcements were sent to investigate and were never heard of again. Weeks later the city of Dublyn, a strategic point for holding the northern clans fell in just a few days. Stories told of a mighty army, led by a boy with the spirit of the bear and the wolf and the hawk, crushing the armies of the White Lion as if they weren't there. More and more brigades were sent to challenge this boy warrior and each time they failed. Soon the only hold the Lion Throne had in the Highlands was the city of Adynburgh, where Magnus II held his seat. Magnus II asked his mentor, Zendar the 4th Deva of Filaharn to bring more aid to stop this devil and so Gunther, Piedmont and Aberdun in the Lowlands began to directly aid in quenching the revolt.

Great news!
I've always been interested in Murond and the Clans.

I can offer you some model tweaking and texturing help.
But not too much. I'm in the middle of university and 2/3 big modding projects.

And a shameless bump...
Speaking of universe expansion, I'd also like to revive TEATRC: Over the Great Bloodfalls.
It's a project I've started few months ago while my Shivering Isles mod is on temporary halt (actually progressing really slowly). I've studied the old thread made by various people from around here and took ideas from it. The planned content is really similar to what was imagined, but some of it is slightly changed either because it makes modding easier, or simply makes more sense (in my mind). Right now I've updated the models for Laurian kindom, Swadia and Haelmar, and finished a good deal of models for the new factions. I hope I'll start the scripting part this month.  It would be nice if someone (looking at you too Someone :razz: ) would like to join forces in the later stages of development. Oh, and I could use some help with music. I'm looking for something that fits Native module music, but also has a bit of tribal sound to it (something like MTW2: Americas' soundtrack for example).

But is it safe to use them? Aren't they copyrighted?

Oh and does this still look like Laurian kingdom to you people?

laurian_WIp.jpg

Back
Top Bottom