Swords VS Axes

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrix

Squire
Swords VS Axes

I have always wondered which is better (or at least which is more popular among players). Which do you prefer and why?​

In geardagum...

A lot depends on the server settings. With the strict moeckscript on, as currently on Hildileikr, swords are much better than axes in almost every situation. With the lenient moeckscript, I tend to favour a combination of axe and seax: the axe breaks the shield and, if possible, the seax gets the kill.

But of course the knace reigns supreme.

To answer your question, swords are good because they have a lot of reach and now with the minimum range script set to strict, they have the advantage of being able to cut with the full length of the weapon unlike axes. Axes on the other hand have the advantage of taking down shields very effectively and of being very lethal (if you get a clean strike) - unfortunately the axe stats suffer from imbalances that make the longer axes less versatile in comparison to the shorter, faster, and sometimes more damaging axes that now also have the advantage over the longer axes that they don't hit with the haft as often.

If I'm lightly armoured, I tend to prefer short axes. If I'm in chain mail, I like to have a sword because of the slow movement (you get more range to work with, which is crucial when you can't adjust your distance from your enemies as easily).

Seax. All day, every day. Always been my preference, even outside of Vikingr when I was a Anglo-Saxon reenactor (back around 2002-2005) - number of Dane-Ax wielders I 'killed' with that lovely seax...

Though i use only swords id like to throw a few coins on the subject. I find the weapons decently balanced as they are now. And thats what`s so great about Vikingr! The sword seems to be a superior choice in 1vs1 combat but considerably loses to an axe in the team combat oriented meat grinder, especially against the competent spearmen with the good shields. So, a little summary :

Swords.

Range +
Good speed and damage +

EXPENSIVE -
Inefficient against armor -

Axes.

CHEAP +
Great damage +
High shield cracking potential +
Decent armor crushing effectiveness +

Range -

I don't think armour penetration is a problem for swords. Also, axes are quite unbalanced: I hit someone 3 times in a row - 2 of those hits bounced of him.

Armour penetration is not a problem if you stab, but it can be quite hard to get a good stab on someone.
I think that axes are quite powerful, even if little harder to use because you have to hit with the blade which is smaller in comparison to swords. I'd still take a sword if I am in a 1vs1 situation or if I have armour.

Still prefer to poke people from afar with a spear so I usually compliment it with an axe that fits the price range, swords I don't really use because I whiff no matter what I use. I'm quite partial to the Trondr and long bearded axes purely for the models but in a rut I will rock the shorter bearded axe for its tasty speed and decent damage.

When it comes to the meat grinder, shield wall warfare, a spear and axe are my favorite, but one on one the sword in my opinion is the better of the two with the ability to cut along the entire blade. On the other hand, one good chop with an axe and it's nighty night.

Back
Top Bottom