SP Oriental Mongol History Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

TomW426

Sergeant
Tugmund's Mongol History Mod

Hi. So about a year ago i used to do models and textures for a few Warband mods, i've since packed that in however one of my personal projects was a mod of my own, using Morghs editor mainly and my own models/textures and OSPs.

There isn't an existing proper Mongolian mod, I like the khergit faction in native but don't feel as if it fully reflects the Mongols i presume it was based off, the period seems to late for Huns.
So i decided i'd make my own little mod of native to change the Khergits about a bit, make them feel a bit more Mongol, and once i'd completed the Mongols i moved onto it's neighbouring factions etc etc.

Eventually i ended up with a whole map featuring Nations from around the early 13th Century, when the Mongolian Empire was in it's first stages, i kept going and adding more and more until suddenly it died on me with massive technical errors, since then i've recently patched these up and have got it going strong.

Here are the factions i decided upon adding.

The Mongols: Fairly obvious, The nation occupies the Khergit part of the map, their troop trees feature no infantry and mainly skilled Horse archers, they have little armor, do not use shields but are fast and accurate, their weapons are largely horse bows made of glued horn and wood.

The Chin: The Chin represent the Chinese at this time, they are the main rivals of the Mongols and there is much tension between them, What the Chin lack in quality they make up for in quantity, fielding some of the largest armies on the map, primarily made up of militia level pikemen, They often are armed with padded leather of lamellar plates and wield long pikes, sometimes with small round shields. This faction always has a disadvantage in the field against their Mongol rivals as the horse-archers have a tendency to ride in wide circuits around the Chin infantry and whittle them down with arrows due to their lack of strong shields, however the Mongols cannot make a permanant mark on Chin territory as their castles are notoriously hard to Seige and Mongols are poor at taking cities.

The Rus: The Rus faction is a large area of land in the North Eastern corner of the map, where the "Vaegir" faction regularly occupies, these are hardy people that have very good metal-craft and some of the toughest troops available at the higher troop-tree levels, The Rus can rarely field an army of such troops though and are often bulked out by poorly armed peasants.

The Vikingr: The Vikingr occupy the North Western part of the map, where the nords previously occupied. The Vikingr have strong infantry at lower levels in the troop trees that get gradually stronger, large shields and short axes are popular. The Vikingr also have well trained foot-archers, wielding self-bows made of yew.

The Normans: The Normans occupy the central part of the map, they are a more feudal than their surrounding Neighbors, featuring new concepts such as Knighthoods and heavy plate armour, their troops are unsurprisingly extremely durable but also very slow, there only faction that might contest their lands being the Rus. The Normans armies mainly consist of soldier level infantry, with light armour and kite shields.

The Danes: (The Danes are a faction i have largely ignored and havn't finished) The Danes are a people largely ignored who live in the mountainous southern regions of the map, they have very strong defensive troops and excel at fighting infantry however are poor at assaulting structures or cities.

This is just a brief over-view of the factions, i will upload screenshots of various troops etc. from their armies later.

Armaments: The main focus of this mod was to change the way the battles etc would be fought. Armies are now larger, regularly having a minimum of 300 troops and a maximum of around 2000. Battle size is still relatively low to stop any FPS issues, being around 150 troops fighting on each side at max, enough to bring a real feeling of immersion to them whilst not spoiling it with lag.
Pretty well all of the weapons/armour in the game have been replaced with either my own models / textures or OSP's. they now have completely different names, statistics and do not carry over anything from Native.

Unfortunately i am unable to provide a custom map for this mod, as much as i would like to, so i've tried to be sensible with the terrain that the various factions will fight over and have allowed for their troop types etc, for example on the Mongol Steppes, there is plenty of space for a battle between 150 Horse archers and 150 Chin pikemen, usually being a massacre until the mongols run out of arrows.

Historical Accuracy; Aside from the Mongol faction i cannot account for any historical accuracy in the troops trees etc, I've tried to keep them as realistic for the time period as possible however some of the troop names etc. may be inaccurate. This mod did not initially plan to have any of the other factions, so alot of them may find they are a few hundred years out of the time period etc. or are somewhat inaccurate.

Additional features: The mod also features a cinematic OSP mod, new animations, battle size increases, map part size increases, new Tavern characters / Mercenaries to fit in with the factions etc. new text lines for alot of characters.
Unfortunately i will not be changing the nobles of the factions anytime soon, purely because there's so many of them and they all need to individually changed.

I am not a proper modder, nor was this ever intended to be released, but as i put more work into it i grew a kind of pride in my work and realised just how much i had changed, it was essentially Native exactly how i would've wanted it, due to being the only person making it, it does use alot of OSP, the majority of these i have permissions for and have to check the rest if the makers are still active, some are quite old.

The mod is around 80% complete, i will upload some screenshots later.

Ingame Screenshots (Quite basic but lazy)

Chin
2D2E5EE1B9ED048E213CB54E6ABA59A2F528836C

Danes
4A538AFB084604F631C8944B9A844CBE9CC58380

Rus
37E42B46997BDD9C54C954DC7DE69AA02E7A2136

Mongols
E480CBAEF8A76FA1EC374CEFC83EA46E3050806B

Normans
E671D7F6F2E443BE7349B88DE34B3587CA902701

068AE4383B4B3935218DFD95BD5BBD1C4C1FB423

0E4994A2730B3F1B8903256ED2C937D84807234F

Nice work! I am happy for this intervention-if you need any inspiration, take a look at the now-defunct Mongol mod. That team had a bunch of great concepts and an alpha bouncing around.

Froi said:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,312229.0.html

These would look nice.

Those horses would go well with the Chin faction.

Speaking of which i added "Chin Crossbowman" as their highest tier archer this morning, they have very slow reloading, very heavy damage very accurate crossbows that give them a chance against Mongol higher tiers, also added a new bow for Mongols and made their troops more accurate.

Having fun personally playing my own Campaign, this is helping me find the various bugs, most of which are various armours missing specular maps etc.

Giggityninja said:
Those horses in the mongols screenshot look great! What osp did they come from? Or did you make them yourself?

About 50/50, The bows i didn't make myself just darkened up the textures a bit.

Experimenting around with a bow for non-mounted Mongol archers that's got taller dimensions and a higher draw strength.

(This is a concept and won't be the actual thing)

66087681C9BCF3D28E337E7BD2242B8932731937
FC4BBFE16CA42B5072E91110E162708C3BC16FD5
BDB17A8DA2E73711D127C9C28FBF285CBB92698C

Edit: i forgot to add the string bridge under the Siyas that the Mongols introduced, silly me.

Updated Norman Longbowman's  Bow.

Tried to make it as accurate as possible by making the front and back of the bow's limbs the outer-tree new wood that resists tension, and the center belly the darker heart wood that resists compression.

B9469AB542819EA9A7C44BA83296DBC82CBCEE00

Ingame:

EEC13A1BDC10A773E929A7F7723917494C3E676B

5CAE41268D554413AADD85F69166436A988DC68C

Back
Top Bottom