Screenshots

Users who are viewing this thread

Looks Great Guys

All i can say is, I would hate to be the guy in the last image!!

Downloading now...

FrisianDude said:
Awesome.. but iron plate on a ship? Wouldn't that be TERRIBLY dangerous?

Only if you fall in the water ... and if you fall overboard with ANY armor, or equipment you can't drop, you're probably in a lot of trouble anyway.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, swims with more than about 20 pounds of junk on them.  So if it's 40 pounds of maille or 70 of plate, you're still basically an anchor if you go in.  Even that assuming good weather ... if the water is cold, you could freeze to death before they could turn the ship around and pick you up anyway.  (U.S. Navy's best time on a man-overboard drill was 7 minutes.  In the North Atlantic, you'll freeze to death in just under 3.)

So in spite of looking like a bad idea ... well, it might not make as much difference as you would think.

Ron Losey said:
Nobody, and I mean nobody, swims with more than about 20 pounds of junk on them.
20 lbs of Styrofoam?  :razz:

Joking aside, I may make a specific naval troop tree for each faction which would have largely unarmored troops.

Uh ... 20 pounds of styrofoam  is a chunk of stuff about as big as a car ... and you won't be swimming with that either.  Odds are it will hold you under water until you bubble, like being trapped under ice.

Speaking of which, wood shields worn on the back would be bad about holding your face in the water too.  They would somewhat float, but it would rotate you so that you couldn't keep your head above water.  The only thing in the water that's worse than being tied to something heavy is being trapped under something that floats.  (Same way the worst thing in skydiving is to get tangled in your chute.)

Anyway, it's not anti-historical.  Japanese naval warfare was known for putting heavily armored troops on ships, and that is well documented in art from various periods.  Although the art is sketchy, it was seriously suggested that both Greek and Roman marines wore standard military armor.  If they were afraid of falling in during some stunt-man maneuver, they tied themselves off with ropes (so they could pull themselves back aboard if they went in the water).  The risk of drowning from wearing heavy armor was still much less than the risk of drowning because you couldn't swim with arrows in your body.

Not exactly a screenshot, but I figured it would be good inspiration, considering the current use of "live ammo" to get the ragdoll effect:

wizardofid2008073343201.gif

Back
Top Bottom