New Albion: Suggestions and ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

FastWalrus

Veteran
Ok, good day everyone (or evening)! As you can see from the title, this will be a suggestion and debate sub-forum for the upcoming Canada-like faction!
Here you will suggest and talk about place names, lord names, government types, alliances, troop types, etc.
I look forward to this sub-forum and will wait for your suggestions/topics with great joy.

The bandits in the area could be called "Native Rebels"

Also, when it comes to uniforms, make them noticably different than CSB's.

ClearlyInvisible said:

Well yeah, of course. Make it british of sort but a bit different. Brodie helmets, without question. But greener uniforms, oh, and some berets for high tier units.

Das Longbowman said:
ClearlyInvisible said:

Well yeah, of course. Make it british of sort but a bit different. Brodie helmets, without question. But greener uniforms, oh, and some berets for high tier units.
see id beg to differ id make them somewhat anachronistic like a mix of napoleonic british redcoat but with a ww1 british or french vibe with it, that way they are truly unique rather than just greener Ballion. at least i think that would make them interesting and not feel as tacked on

:wink:

In the first half of the nineteenth century, because of the Industrial Revolution in Great Britain, Canada was flooded with immigrants. This was when mass settlement in Canada really began: over 120,000 people went there in the five years between 1827 and 1832. Urban environments developed along the sea coast and the great lakes, with European-type economies. Further to the north and west, in the vast forests and mountains, the natives (Indians) and settlers hunted and traded in furs. The fur trade was controlled by several large companies, whose interest was to stop further settlement and preserve the hunting grounds.In 1867, when the Dominion of Canada was established, the government took control of Prince Rupert's Land (named after the brother of King Charles II, best known as a cavalry commander in the English Civil War)and allowed free settlement, but the arrival of settlers in the North Saskatchewan River area caused the revolt of the metis (half-breeds of French settlers and Indians) and the Indians, led by Louis-David Riel. To putdown this insurrection, the government dispatched an expedition which included two militia battalions raised for this purpose and, when these units arrived, the uprising collapsed virtually without bloodshed. One battalion was left to keep the peace in the rebellious area, known as Red River. A small mounted police force was detached from the battalion and stationed at Fort Garry, the administrative seat of one of the districts.The Canadian government had to assert its sovereignty in the new territories and ensure law and order, so as to make possible the migration of settlers across the western plains. The basis was the existing police and militia forces, and the North West Mounted Police was founded in 1873. It was decided to recruit 300 men on a semi-military basis. At their first and only review, in Duffer in (now Emerson), Manitoba in 1874, the whole unit gathered in one place for the first and last time in its history, then the 318men dispersed to their destinations. A curiosity is the march of the mounted police to the west, in which 1,650 km/1,025 miles were covered in 97 days.The work of the mounted police included keeping law and order,reconnoitering territory, informing the central authorities of the situation,guarding public property, helping settlers, relaying information and warnings, rescue missions, and so on. Mounted patrols were the most common way of keeping in touch with the local population.In 1920, the force was renamed the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.Today, in keeping with the spirit of the times, the 18,000 members of the service are called the Royal Canadian Mounted Police/Gendarmerie Royaledu Canada (RCMP/GRC). Cavalry : The History of a Fighting Elite - by  V. Vuksic and Z. Grbasic

228-fcc18a31e8.jpg

Mounties for Cav, Lumber Jacks for recruits - plaid, a hatchet and hunting rifle, and Tim Horton for prime minister.

Mounties are an absolute necessity for a Canada-based faction.

(will we also possibly maybe see a seal clubber unit?)

I bet they are going to add them, but to avoid too big controversy, they will be recruitable and in single village. Or rare volluntiring chance

I believe I've mentioned this before but. I personally believe this faction should be more like a Psudo-British/commonwealth blend. Can't have new albion without old albion (unless they come after).

This mod has WW2 with a fantasy twist written all over it. Canada's role was overshadowed by both the British and Americans but we still fought as hard as anyone. When Britain's army was overseas fighting in Africa and South East Asia, who was there to defend the shores of Dover? who had to fail at the first ever attempt to secure a bridgehead on the shores of France? Who were the ones left to keep fighting in Northern Italy after Operation Overlord took over the headlines of the world by storm? Who Free'd Holland when everyone else failed. I have only one answer to all those questions BADASS CANADIANS. Simply cuz no one else would or ****ing could. What this rant has to do with my first point. Abso****inglutely nothing. Just felt damn good to say it, and I'm not god damned sorry.

Back on point, If you go the psudo-Canada path they should have equipment similar to Balion and possibly future "Old Albion", have good quality infantry but small army in size. Perhaps have few generals but certainly more than Helvetia or whatever it's called

I really don't like the idea of mounties for soldiers in a Canada-like faction. I think they should look like the Canadian soldiers from WW1 or WW2.

Dan11311 said:
I really don't like the idea of mounties for soldiers in a Canada-like faction. I think they should look like the Canadian soldiers from WW1 or WW2.

You can't really carry a whole faction on a dumb Mountie joke guys.

Go for a Commonwealth/WW1/2 Canadian sort of feel.

New Albion needs the following to be like Canada: polar bear cavalry (for stereotype), an option to start there (my home country), igloos (stereotype), whiskey as the only consumable item there for you and your men and women, Tim Horton for Prime Minister, Timbit grenades, giant ammo (with guns that can use that kind of ammo; size matters in Canada, unlike in the States in the bullet department), and a Kraft Dinner (Mac and Cheese) boats and/or trains (or a building that's shaped like a family-sized box of kraft dinner) (Canada is the #1 consumer of Kraft Dinner in the world)

The current 1.6 version troops tree seems a bit lackluster:

Recruits-->Riflemen-->Lieutenant-->Sergeant (wrong order I guess)-->Sharpshooter
                      I
                      -------->Mountaineer Trainee-->Mount. -->Royal Mount.

I understand that it's incomplete now, but I could come up with some idea with future update: (using real life name here for simplicity)

ANZAC Light Horse
                                            I
                (Cavalry)--->British Cavalry---> RCMP
                      I
                      I
                      I        Black Watch
                      I                I
Recruits--->Riflemen---(Infantry)--->Guards /Canadian Rifle
                      I                I
                      I        Bomber (grenadier)
                      I
                      I              Crew/Artillery (in future)
                      I                      I
            (Staff and special)--->NCO--->Sniper
                                              I
                                          Lieutenant

This is based on my preference for multiple but rather short upgrade trees over linear but longer one (like the current one with only 2 branches for most countries IMO).

Also BIG problem as of 1.6:

Recruits refuse to fire rifle and use bayonet/sword only!

(IDK if it's just for me or not)

BTW They should not have sword if there's bayonet, only officer/cavalry should have sword.

Back
Top Bottom