Improve your bloody grammar!

Users who are viewing this thread

kurczak said:
Maybe the problem is your comprehension, not his English. He didn't say any of those things.

Yes, he did:

Realist Kupa said:
....in my opinion if you can understand me, there is no problem.

"There is no problem" usually means "there is no problem", implying that there is not a problem with his English.

Teofish said:
I can agree with the essence behind your sentiment. But mother of Odin did you word it like a douche.

I honestly don't see how I did. Around here sugar-coating things and patronising people is considered offensive, but of course there aren't any communists here.

I know. No worries. I was actually laughing at something I mistook for irony. I'm dumb.

Docm30 said:
I honestly don't see how I did. Around here sugar-coating things and patronising people is considered offensive, but of course there aren't any communists here.
Imo you don't have to sugar-coat things in order to be pleasant, Docm.

Realist Kupa said:
I didn't say "there is not problem with my english" I said "if you can understand me, there is no problem" so i mean there is no problem with our chat.If i misunderstanding i am sorry for that.After this i will try be careful.
As I saw it, you didn't misunderstand anything; people just jumped on you for something you said. Around here, that happens a lot.

As for some English tips: Remember to capitalize "I" (you know that; it's just a matter of remembering to do it), and put spaces after periods. As for the last two sentences, they have errors, but they are easily corrected. With the first sentence, you could say, "If I misunderstood, I am sorry," or you could say, "If I am misunderstanding something, I am sorry." With the second sentence, you could say "After this I will try being careful," or you could say "After this I will try to be careful." It's the little things like that which can make a big difference.

Marking for further reading.

dunt kritisaiz mai inglesh plizz.

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Teofish said:
Been a lot of misunderstandings lately due to bad English. And a few newbies expressing interest in bettering their English skills. Figured it's in everyone's best interest if they get a proper place to do it. If there's something concerning English grammar, syntax or pronunciation you're wondering about, post it here. I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to tell you all the ways you're horribly wrong. :razz:

There have been a lot of misunderstandings lately due to bad English and a few newbies have been expressing interest in bettering their English skills, so I figgered it would be in everyone's best interest if I were to make a proper message board topic for this purpose.

I tried to fix it up but now somebody should fix the mistakes I made.

Docm30 said:
I see. If anything, this apparent misunderstanding serves to illustrate just how easy it is to be ambiguous in English.

Sigh, no.

Here's a person whose English is not super perfect, but he is still capable on following the conversation and expressing his intentions very clearly as long as the person on the other side wants to understand.

There's also a person who makes a big deal about something not being "proper".

Just because "omg Noah Webster wouldn't approve of this syntax or spelling" doesn't necessarily mean the sentence is ambiguous or unintelligible. Not everybody has the ambition to be the next John Milton, sometime people don't want to master a language, they just want to communicate that they want a beer or can't connect to a server.

If you really can't understand them, ask them clear "yes or no" "a or b" questions to clarify their intentions. Don't give them unsolicited advices, it just comes across as condescending. Especially from a native speaker. Most of the world has better things to do than explore the nuances of the past conditional in your first language or whatever crap you happen to be unhappy about.

Teofish said:
I can agree with the essence behind your sentiment. But mother of Odin did you word it like a douche.
the dude who uses 'mother of Odin' as a phrase is not the dude who gets to call other people douches for how they say things. :razz:

kurczak said:
Don't give them unsolicited advices....

All the relevant posts were in a thread called "Improve your bloody grammar!". It was hardly out of the blue.

Second, we don't use the Mirriam-Webster dictionary in this country.

Finally, I legitimately didn't understand what he was trying to say. When he said "there is no problem" I assumed he meant it. It would be ridiculous to baselessly assume he meant something other than what he actually said. This isn't a matter of following the Chicago Manual of Style to the letter; it's matter of following the basic rules of English to avoid an ambiguity.

The French may have done a number on the language, but that doesn't give people free reign to just say whatever and hope others managed to figure out what they were trying to say. Both parties have to make an effort if any attempt at communication is going to be successful.

besides Docm's advice being sollicited due to the title of this thread, I'm not entirely sure if the advice on giving advice was sollicited. :razz:

Docm30 said:
kurczak said:
Don't give them unsolicited advices....

All the relevant posts were in a thread called "Improve your bloody grammar!". It was hardly out of the blue.

Second, we don't use the Mirriam-Webster dictionary in this country.

Finally, I legitimately didn't understand what he was trying to say. When he said "there is no problem" I assumed he meant it. It would be ridiculous to baselessly assume he meant something other than what he actually said. This isn't a matter of following the Chicago Manual of Style to the letter; it's matter of following the basic rules of English to avoid an ambiguity.

The French may have done a number on the language, but that doesn't give people free reign to just say whatever and hope others managed to figure out what they were trying to say. Both parties have to make an effort if any attempt at communication is going to be successful.

FrisianDude said:
besides Docm's advice being sollicited due to the title of this thread, I'm not entirely sure if the advice on giving advice was sollicited. :razz:

Yaaay, let's totally be difficult on purpose.

I was obviously talking about unsolicited language advices in general as demonstrated by the examples of just wanting to order a beer or being unable to connect to a server neither of which had any connection to Kupa. I was talking about the very attitude that leads native or fluent speakers to shift the "burden of language" on the not-so-fluent. Because oh my how is it possible that someone out there doesn't have a perfect command of my language of preference?

So just to avoid any semblance of ambiguity, I am talking about the common decency that dictates that an "expert" reaches out to and if necessary dumbs down his language for the less knowledgeable of the subject instead of expecting everyone to be on par a with him.

Right. I assumed that since you directed your post at myself, I was the "person who makes a big deal about something not being 'proper'". I'll assume I'm not since I didn't do or say anything that implies I don't agree with what you're currently saying.

Bluehawk said:
Poor English is better than bad English, I always says.
And they're both better than the English.  :razz:
Vieira said:
Realist Kupa said:
Thanks for the information. I am elementary so i can't understand many things but in my opinion if you can understand me, there is no problem.
Sherlock has really got to your head, hasn't he? That bastard.
:lol:

Back
Top Bottom