Gekokujo: Bugs and Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Is it only me that hate with passion the 3.0 battlefields? They're either full of series of hills or flora. Lots of lots of flora. Not a problem for my men, because they have laser scopes as all artificial terminators do, but I can't fire my bow until enemy literally jumps out of the bushes which is kind of too late. I know that ranged weaponry is absolutely devastating in this mod, but come on...

I ran into some odd bug, very likely related to the freelancer part of the mod.

I was serving the Hojo clan, under the lord Daidoji army, i reached veteran spearman rank and decided to ask the lord to promote me to samurai, that he did.
After some more promotion, i became mounted retainer.
But having only 1 in riding, i was then a mounted retainer on foot :grin:

Anyways, we got a battle in which the enemy from the Tokugawa clan, much superior in number simply crushed us.
I was taken prisonner but escaped after some time.

Going back to Hojo territory, i asked where was the lord Daidoji, i was then told he was a prisonner.
I managed to locate the castle (Okazaki caslte) in which he was a prisoner, and not being affiliated actually to the Hojo clan (as i was a simple trooper in Daidoji's army) i didn't had to sneak in and simply walked in the castle.

I then talked to the prison guard to make sure Daidoji was really there and had the surprise to learn about another prisonner, named Theron

Theron ? wait a minute, my character is named Theron .. that's really strange

Anyways, i took out the guard and fetched the keys, ran into the prison and found Daidoji

But when i was talking to him to tell him i was getting him out of jail , there was some error message :

From there, the dialogue was then wrong, as instead of giving me the escape prison dialogue, i only got the one from the freelancer meeting with the lord :

So impossible to tell him to escape.

And additional bug, remember the Theron "but it's me" other prisonner, in fact he was really there, he's in front of the prison exit/entrance , the model even look like my character :

And when talking to ... myself , it looks like my bizarre clone thinks he's my senechal or fief administrator

After "Farewell", if i go back to talk to Daidoji, the dialogue has change and only get

no dialogue choice is given, so if i click my character is replying

If i go back to my clone, he still has the same senechal dialogue.
When i exit the prison i'm in my Daidoji's army outfits and have to kill the guards, but with the lord not being there to help or wait at the prison gate

Once done , i can escape the castle, but without Daidoji that wasn't there to follow.

FieldMedic said:
I ran into some odd bug, very likely related to the freelancer part of the mod.
that's super strange, i could have sworn i fixed that error already. i added a condition to the dialogue so that the freelancer return quest doesn't trigger when you meet your lord in prison*. i'll have to dig deep to see why it triggers in other circumstances.

as for the clone of you -- there's nothing i can do about that one, you'll just have to pretend not to see your doppelgaenger and not acknowledge him in any way

*for those of you with m&b coding experience, that would be lines 14261 and 14262 of module_dialogs.py
Code:
(neg|troop_slot_eq, "$g_talk_troop", slot_troop_prisoner_of_party, "$g_encountered_party"), #this shouldn't happen in prison
(neg|eq, "$talk_context", tc_hero_freed), #this also shouldn't happen immediately after the prison break

Maybe we could get some mounted archers? Even if Mercenaries, I know that at this time mounted archery was outdated but it's so cool.
Also, it's a little hard to be a merchant when everyone is dirty poor.

Great job, i would have thought it would have been much more difficult to fix that strange freelancer bug.
edit : oops misread, so good luck in finding where the code was going wrong.

little update : actually the bug is much worse than i thought, because after loading my save (from after escaping the castle alone) to play today, it looks like my character is now considered as part of Daidoji army, so i can't move it will just lead into the usual freelancer options that happen if the lord is in a town/castle , without the "return to duty" being available.

And if you choose to "enter town" , you're faced by your "clone" dialogue that give you the senechal options.
In the case you choose "commander report", it just crash to desktop, there's no way to get out that bug out of exporting your character and starting a new game.

So i highly recommend anyone playing as a freelancer inside of a lord army to NEVER try to rescue your boss if he got captured, you will not be able to play anymore if you enter the prison in which he's in.

That's strange. I remember being able to do exactly what you are describing (getting your lord defeated and captured, then single handedly rescuing said lord and rejoin him afterwards) during the 3.0 beta. I doubt Marty changed the code from then.

Although I can do this myself. One thing I would suggest is implementing a bonus versus cavalry system for spears/pikes. Their attack gap needs to be slighty widened as AI like to get too close, making their spears useless.

Currently cavalry have no counter, they need one.

Osric said:
Although I can do this myself. One thing I would suggest is implementing a bonus versus cavalry system for spears/pikes. Their attack gap needs to be slighty widened as AI like to get too close, making their spears useless.

could you please do this and release as a submod in the appropriate thread? the attack gap element is particularly of interest to me, didn't realize it was possible to specify that. would be a great thing to implement.

Osric said:

I find AI spears fine. I always have to leave spearmen a wide gap when I charge in. Other units I can just charge.

i think the issue is ai vs ai spears, they don't leave a gap between each other and end up ineffectively swinging or thrusting at facehug levels with long weapons

i dunno what is wrong but i can't seem to hold a feast even though i own plenty town and village

i'm using companion as vassals and made my wife a minister

Bug I have found (BTW, will there be some kind of new Google spreadsheet for bug reports?):

- when you are saving a village from enemy lords which are trying to loot it, after you win the battle you do not get the message to leave, you always need to retreat

Also the crossdressers still exists :grin: .

I found a bug with companions from the neutral places that can be conquered.
If you send the companions out as emissaries, they don't come back, even though the companion missions list says "Expected back in 0 days."

I really want those companions back.  :sad:

Edit: Party sizes aren't as written. For me, the base size is +20, there's no benefit for being a faction leader, and only +10 per walled fief.
With the large party sizes, could there be a change in morale?

First let me say that what you are about to read is just a constructive criticism and a couple of suggestions on how to improve this amazing mod, i'm not trying to insult you in any way or tell you how to mod.
I actually have the utmost respect for you and the work you have done thus far, as i know you are working alone on this masterpiece.

I have played version 3.0 all day, every day since the release, i broke my leg about 2 weeks ago so i have nothing better to do then test the crap out of this mod  :mrgreen:

The mod looks great, it has beautiful weapons, armors, scenes, faces, music and many other things but sadly there are 2 huge flaws, the mod is too easy and gets really boring, really FAST.

I will split the "suggestions" into 3 categories: High, Medium and Low priority.

HIGH PRIORITY:

First Problem:

- NEW TROOP TREES ARE A MUST.

As i have said, the game is too easy and it gets boring really fast. The main reason are the current troop trees.

For the first 20-30 days of game time i've been using the normal Ashigaru units you get from villages.
At around day 30 i bought the first batch of Ji-Samurai. After i upgraded them to the Hatamoto "rank" i never looked back.
I immediately disbanded the Ashigaru units and bought more Ji-samurai.
To cut the story short, by the day 200 i had 100 Tokugawa Hatamoto Gunners, 50 Tokugawa Hatamoto Guards and 3 companions, and we have destroyed 4 clans, mostly by me.
The castles fall in about 3-5 minutes with almost no losses, towns are a bit tougher but in the end i win. Fighting 2-3 generals ? Not a problem.
By turn 250 i was bored ****less because it was THAT easy to dominate everyone.
All my "General Options" in Warband are set for the maximum difficulty rating and i use no cheats in case you are wondering.

Basically every other unit in game is useless compared to the Hatamoto Guards, Gunners and Archers, they are the unstoppable killing machines.
I didn't care to use the Hatamoto Cavalry but i'm sure they are the same.
Infantry fall like leafs, and if the cavalry charges i just order my Hatamoto Guard to switch to polearms because they have naginatas and they make short work of them, which means i have no need for the Yari Ashigaru or any other Ashigaru unit for that matter...

The way to fix this is to make the Ashigaru the core fighting force, the samurai as the elite units and lastly Hatamoto as the elite of the elite, the generals bodyguards.

- Ashigaru - Core fighting force, relatively cheap to buy and maintain..
- Samurai - Elite units, not so expensive to buy and maintain but gets more expensive as they are upgraded, strong units.
- Hatamoto - Elite of the elite, very expensive to buy and maintain, strongest units and only limited to 10.

Every item that is required for this is already in the game so that's not the problem. Here's the troop tree i had in mind.

RECRUITING FROM THE VILLAGE:

Ashigaru (Core Melee Fighting Force)
                /
Villager ---                                        Teppo Ashigaru
                \                                    /
                  Ashigaru Skirmisher ---
                                                      \
                                                        Yumi Ashigaru

ASHIGARU:

Ashigaru should be the core melee fighting force, relatively cheap to buy and maintain.

Ranks: Normal, Trained, Veteran (NO ELITE) and their equipment as follows:

*Helmet - Jingasa or no helmet, set it as random.

*Body - Hara-ate or Retainer Armor, set it as random.

*Boots - Light Shino Sune-Ate.

*Gloves - None

*Weapons - Wakizashi, Katana, Tachi, Kanabo, Naginata, Yari and a Sashimono because they are also equipped in weapon slot as far as i could see (NOTHING ELSE).

Basically every Ashigaru gets a random weapon and armor, that way they are universal but still not overpowered because of their low tier armor and low stats.

Normal Ashigaru can be equiped with just the Wakizashi, Katana or Kanabo. Trained same but with added tachi or yari. Veteran with all the weapons, you get the picture...

SKIRMISHERS:

Skirmishers, first ranged troops. Again relatively cheap to buy and maintain.
No Ranks.

*Body - Hara-ate and Retainer Armor, set it as random.

*Boots - Light Shino Sune-Ate.

*Gloves - None

*Weapons - Yumi, Guns, Arrows, Bullets and Sashimono. Wakizashi or Katana as a melee weapon.

TEPPO ASHIGARU:

Ranks: Normal, Trained, Veteran (NO ELITE). Trained and Veteran just get better guns and bullets.

*Boots - Light Shino Sune-ate.

*Gloves - None

*Weapons - Guns, bullets and sashimono. Wakizashi or Katana as a melee weapon.

YUMI ASHIGARU:

Ranks: Normal, Trained, Veteran (NO ELITE). Trained and Veteran just get better Yumi and Arrows.

*Gloves - None

*Weapons - Yumi, arrows and sashimono. Wakizashi or Katana as a melee weapon.

RECRUITING FROM THE CASTLE:

Mounted Samurai
                                                      /
                        Retainer - Samurai
                      /
Ji-Samurai ---                          Teppo Samurai
                      \                      /
                        Skirmisher ---
                                              \
                                                Yumi Samurai

JI-SAMURAI:
*Helmet - Okashi Zunari Kabuto, Okashi Suji-Bachi Kabuto, Okashi Shinominari Kabuto. Set it as random.

*Body - Retainer Armor.

*Gloves - Tekko.

*Weapons - Wakizashi, Katana, Kanabo or Tetsubo. Set it as random.

RETAINER:
*Helmet - Okashi Zunari Kabuto, Okashi Suji-Bachi Kabuto, Okashi Shinomari Kabuto all with better stats. Set it as random.

*Body - Retainer armor with better stats.

*Boots - Light Shino Sune-ate with better stats.

*Gloves - Tekko with better stats.

*Weapons - Katana, Tachi, Naginata, Yari and Sashimono. Set it as Random.

SAMURAI:
*Helmet - Suji-Bachi Kabuto.

*Body - Okegawa Armor, Nuinobe Armor or similar looking armors.

*Boots - Shino Sune-ate or Jinbaori. Set it as random.

*Gloves - Kusari-Tekko.

*Weapons - Katana, Tachi, No-Dachi, Tetsubo, Naginata and Sashimono. Set it as random.

MOUNTED SAMURAI:

*Gloves - Kusari-Tekko.

*Weapons - Tachi, No-Dachi, Naginata, Yari that can be used from a horse and Sashimono. Set it as random.

SKIRMISHER:
*Helmet - Okashi Zunari Kabuto, Okashi Suji-Bachi Kabuto, Okashi Shinomari Kabuto all with better stats. Set it as random.

*Body - Retainer armor with better stats.

*Boots - Light Shino Sune-ate with better stats.

*Gloves - Tekko with better stats.

*Weapons - Yumi, Guns, Bullets, Arrows, Wakizashi, Katana and Sashimono.

YUMI SAMURAI:

*Gloves - Kusari-Tekko.

*Weapons - Yumi with good stats, Arrows with goods stats, Katana and Sashimono.

TEPPO SAMURAI:

*Gloves - Kusari-Tekko.

*Weapons - Guns with good stats, Bullets with goods stats, Katana and Sashimono.

RECRUITING FROM THE TOWN:

HATAMOTO:

- The Hatamoto should be elite of the elite, generals personal bodyguards with best weapons and armors in the game.
  If possible they should be limited to only 10 no more, so you can buy only 10 of them, and every general on the map should have only 10.
  They should be very expensive to buy and maintain. 1000-1500 per one and 200-300 to maintain. So that's 10000-15000 to recruit the maximum 10 and 2000-3000 for upkeep.
  That way you can only get them and keep them when you get powerful and have several fiefs and a great income but in return they should be extremely powerful.

There should be Hatamoto Guards, Hatamoto Mounted Guards, Yumi Hatamoto and Teppo Hatamoto.
  No trained, veteran or elite versions, just a Hatamoto.

*Helmet - Shinominari Kabuto with good stats.

*Body - Kozane Armor with good stats.

*Boots - Tsubo Sune-ate with good stats.

*Gloves - Kusari-Tekko with good stats.

*Hatamoto Guard Weapons - Katana, Tachi, No-Dachi, Tetsubo, Naginata and Yari. Set it as random.
*Hatamoto Mounted Guards Weapons - Tachi, No-Dachi, Naginata, Yari that can be used from a horse. Set it as random.
*Yumi Hatamoto Weapons - Best War Yumi, Large bag of ceremonial arrows, Katana.
*Teppo Hatamoto Weapons - Best Guns, Large bag of heavy bullets, Katana.

- Lastly if possible, each clan should have some kind of "Unique" units but that's not as important.

Second Problem:

- Another part of the problem is that absolutely nothing is happening in the game, it's just fight fight fight, buy food do a tournament if you find one and repeat. Trust me it gets boring very fast.

That could be fixed by adding random events and quests. To get the idea i suggest you play "A Clash of Kings" mod when you have the time and see what he did, maybe you can do something similar.

MEDIUM PRIORITY:

- New outfit/armor and headgear for experienced agents, right now they look silly with that monk style headgear.
  I'm not sure if you are making all the models or if you are getting them from somewhere else but a more realistic shinobi armors would be much appreciated.

- Speaking of shinobi, as you added several fortifications around Japan that you can capture, could you do one for Shinobi ? It could be called Iga-ryu or Koga-ryu as they are from that period.

- Ninjato is a bad weapon right now. It's shorter then the katana which is realistic, but it's also slower which is not realistic. I've seen Tachi and No-Dachi that are faster then Ninjato.
  Just increase the speed, it should be little faster then Katana, Tachi and No-Dachi.

LOW PRIORITY:

- For example if i'm playing as a vasal of Tokugawa and i capture a Castle or a Town from Hojo, i'm forced to recruit Hojo Troops that were there originally.
  It would be great if there was an option to either keep the troops from the clan you captured the castle/town from, or change it to the clan you are from.

- Too many junk items are dropping from the enemies and nothing that is nearly good. Reduce the amount of junk and maybe increase the chance for better items ?

-More variety of colors on armors, helmets, boots and gloves. Maybe some full black armor "sets" would be nice, just look how cool this looks

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/10700000/Katsumoto-the-last-samurai-10719984-650-432.jpg

Well that's it please tell me what you think, i really care about this mod with all my heart. I hope it wasn't painful to read this wall of text, i tried to make it look nice so it's easier to read.

Rebel parties seem to pick fights with me even if they only have 5 men and I've got 180.  They seem to run away fine from other lords.  This doesn't happen with deserters.

I know you went over the detailed landscape stuff before, but I still occasionally find myself running into invisible obstacles, and some trees can be walked through.

Every time I fight bandits in a village a pile of errors appear, so many that you can only see them in the log (I'll try to remember to capture it next time).

GimliTheDwarf said:
Something I noticed in my games is that it seems items in the character inventory may get deleted when placed in the last/bottom few rows. Specifically, I would place some weapons or armor in the bottom row or two of my inventory, and after moving around for a few days trading, fighting, etc., these items would simply disappear. While I wouldn't really say this is game breaking, as I've never experienced an issue with items in the upper rows of the character inventory disappearing, I don't believe this should be occurring and have not experienced this with Native or other mods.

I've had this bug happen in other mods, even just Diplomacy.  It's probably happened more times, but I only noticed because it was a book I lost.

1 thing I have noticed. With the new maps for bandits I find taking monk rebels hideouts impossible.
Before it was a closed space so you could mow them all down with a katana. Now with the open space within the walls it is impossible to avoid getting you and your party shot to hell as all the rebels have guns. When you have an army fine. When you are limited in men such as attacking these bases you are screwed.

@Isilendis

Fantastic writeup, let me just be so bold on comment on that even though I am just a player like you :smile: .

Troop trees, partially agree with you, even I must say that most of the problems against the AI is the stupidity and that you can set up your ranged troops on a hill let them circle around you (in shooting range mind you) and decimate them. In worst case when the AI has a rush of smarts and charges head on, you go out with the cavalry and attack the stragglers etc. while a big part of the troops turn around and follow you (again, while in nice shooting range of the archers etc.) :grin: .

So I think that the difference will just be that the war of attrition against dumb AI will take longer.

I got into problems with my around 100 troop group when I had to fight fight after fight where my members had not enough time to be healed, not because of anything else.

The more I think of it, your change would also make it much more realistic as it is now really lopsided as it is much better to have hatamoto units than almost any other (although I would rather have 20 companions than 40 hatamotos).

+ I think the random events and more quests (I would love that you must do quests to acquire companions etc., whenever I  as warlord get cattle quests I would love to punch the quest giver in the face :grin: ) would be fantastic, but pretty please use Clash of Kings as an example how not to do it. The lazy "design" of "choose an answer, the outcome is random any way" is boring (not to mention that A Clash of Kings is IMO the opposite of Gekokujo, everything is turned to 11 and new design implementations seem rushed). IMO, the choose your own adventure type of answers can be done brilliantly (as in King of Dragon Pass as opposed to the random encounters as in Clash of Kings), I would love it! And phlpp is a history buff, so he could put in many interesting things.

+ Shinobi

IMO, if we ignore the Hollywood sword (Ninjato) the agents are pretty realistic. I would add a bigger variety as you said, but please no Hollywood black garbs etc. Maybe add Komuso monk disguise ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komus%C5%8D ) and similar looks.

Agree with you, if the Ninjato is kept in the game I would make it more useful.

- Disagree about the troops, I like it this way but this is really just a matter of preference.

- Junk. I found out that the game gives you better loot if the numbers odds are against you (mind you it seems it is the same if you go with 20 peasants against 50 rebels or with 20 hatamoto gunners, which would be great if it could be changed), so what I do mid game when I am rebel hunting is go out and add about 10 troops to my 8-9 heroes and fight "against odds" to get very good loot which can be sold for a lot of money

I find your writeup great, do not think that anyone can say it was not constructive, you took so much time to write up your thoughts, respect!

Hope you will enjoy the game and find new things to do (how about you go overboard with RP-ing like not hiring more than x men and then fight those big groups of leaders).

haitch40 said:
1 thing I have noticed. With the new maps for bandits I find taking monk rebels hideouts impossible.
Before it was a closed space so you could mow them all down with a katana. Now with the open space within the walls it is impossible to avoid getting you and your party shot to hell as all the rebels have guns.

How can you even try to wipe out the "cash and morale" generator that a hideout is :grin: ? I always leave them even though they kill all my peasants etc. :grin: .

It's fair to criticize the troop tree a bit imo because I've gotten to the point in playing this mod that I've to tie one hand behind my back to have fun. However I'll disagree with the hatamoto recruitment process.

The hatamoto should be a show of the lord's wealth and power and as such it'll be better if Marty can make a system where the Lords will spawn with a limited group (10 or so?) of well armed, named units akin to your companion NPCs. Lower lords will have more modestly armed hatamotos and Great lords will have hatamoto armed with the very best. Like lords, they should be capturable, but can only be ransomed for 1/10th the price of a lord due to the nature of their lower birthright. It should basically be a system where the hatamotos are named specific npcs that are locked to their lord's parties and are essentially immortal npcs like the lords and can be ransomed for. The player can hire their own hatamoto once they reach a certain status (Lord?), in which this option requires an initial financial investment, or a level in renown where people will start flocking to be his followers. In fact this should be a random scripted event (like the peasant saint event in Brytenwalda) where you start getting an influx of companion like NPCs who are loyal to none other than you and do not have the ability to quarrel amongst themselves, unlike the NPC companions. In return, they come with preset stats and are adaptable to whatever weaponry you give to them but they have to be coded to the fashion of which they as individuals cannot be improved, and therefore the hatamoto playing field is leveled to only rely on the quality of gear to ensure their success.

Remember, your companions are potential future lords of your Kingdom, and the ability to improve their stats are reflected as such. The hatamoto are supposed to be your personal retinue of bodyguards and elite fighters, not people who can potentially one day usurp your very rule.

On the topic on how to have fun, my current house rules is no external troop hiring, so you can imagine me wandering the country side alone looking for looters carrying peasant/ronin prisoners to rescue them during the start of the game. This rule extends even to end game, so I conquer my first temple (The one north of Kyoto) very early on to get the benefits of having suicidal naginata wielding monks at my disposal (the fortress hires are exempted because they have no potential to be OP units and they are limited on a timely basis).

On the point of the ninjato, I feel like giving it too much natural speed may be bad. If you're playing with a ninjato, odds are you're a agi based character. I'll agree to tweak it to katana speed but not beyond that. It's still a blade of considerable length and using it on an agi character as it is now is already pretty freaking OP (Current character is a musket, ninjato and shuriken wielding person who does not serve any lords, but curry favours by seeking out imprisoned lords and rescuing them, me not getting hate from other factions as I wreck their guards and rescue their enemies is explained away in an RP fashion of I have my headwrap on and I'm not famous enough for them to know who I actually am).

haitch40 said:
Osric said:

I find AI spears fine. I always have to leave spearmen a wide gap when I charge in. Other units I can just charge.
I think the problem is that in the 'hold your position' command, the spearmen will not use their spears until the enemy reaches nodachi range, which makes standing spearmen the most useless things in the mod.

Back
Top Bottom