Suggestions about game mechanics

Users who are viewing this thread

If there are some modular functions that aren't doing funky programming hacks, I can add them without too much hassle.
I think there's even a fortifications OSP so that one might be possible.
I am actually thinking on checking more in depth the Floris code (all Floris is OSP as far as I know), since it includes a ton of tweaks and features and take some that would be good to have.

Can Phantasy Calradia work with Pre-Battle Orders & Deployment?

I think that being allowed to deploy your forces in formations and such would really enhance it, since you don't just have cavalry, infantry and archers, but also stealth troops, wizards, golems and undead fodder.

It definitely would be awesome if you could take some mods from the Floris mod (like Diplomacy, PBOD, Floris Bank, etc) since the features they give make the game more convenient.

And then more quests! I can think up of a few quests that might fit the game.

Artifact Retrieval - This is a quest you receive from fellow lords and it would have three possible results. The first one, the lord asks you to retrieve a powerful weapon from one of many dungeons scattered around Calradia. These weapons are only retrievable when the lord gives you the quest. After you get the artifact, you can either give it to the lord, or desert your faction. (making your relation with that faction plummet to the negatives as well as with their lords) The third option is only available if you are on very good terms with the lord. From there, he'll give you a tip that his scouts had reported to him that they found a very powerful weapon inside a dungeon. After that, you can either retrieve it for yourself, or give it to the lord for a large relation bonus. Also, one you deliver one of these artifacts to the lord, they'll use it in battle and give that lord a significant power boost.

Potions of Power - Each town has a witch doctor that appears once you achieve a certain amount of renown. (500 possibly?) When you talk to him, he will ask you if you desire more power. If you say yes, then he'll give you a quest to find potion reagents from various dungeons scattered around Calradia. Once you give him the reagents, he'll ask you what sort of potion you want. After a set amount of time (some days or a week maybe) you'll be notified that the witch doctor has completed the potion. After you get the potion, you are given an option to drink it in your Camp menu. Once drank, you can trash the remaining bottle. The 19 towns (or was it 20?) each has a different witch doctor that can give you the quest again. But for each time you repeat the quest, your renown must be higher before the witch doctor recognizes you as worth their time.

I'll post more possible quests when I think of them.

Instead of having the undead/demon intimidation dwindle the morale of a party by 10/20 a day, how about making it a permanent and proportional morale detriment.

For example, 100 undead and 1 living would decay the morale by a permanent 1. The same would happen visa, versa, determining on which is in greater number.

Or maybe make it so it is only the single troop who gets the morale determent, so that my Undead do not leave the party because hte Living are afriad...

Or make it so that undead are ALWAYS on excellent morale... I mean, they are slaves. This is my favorite option, btw.☺

Also, how about the clerics are turned down a little? It seems that, with one little spell, a single cleric can eliminate 15 of my shadow knights. Perhaps shrink the radius or make it deal less damage?

ChangelingVenom said:
Also, how about the clerics are turned down a little? It seems that, with one little spell, a single cleric can eliminate 15 of my shadow knights. Perhaps shrink the radius or make it deal less damage?

Clerics "Flame Strike" is single target; It's just the targeting that is done. How many clerics are you facing?

SmurfInHell said:
ChangelingVenom said:

Clerics "Flame Strike" is single target; It's just the targeting that is done. How many clerics are you facing?
No, you know when the clerics heal neighboring troops? I do not get how it instant kills every undead, even the strongest, especially at that large radii. I mean, a single cleric killed ten of my knights at once!

Hahahahaha, you should pay more attention to what your troops are doing. Healing spells heal the living and hurt the undead.

Don't charge your undead into clerics. Just don't.

ChangelingVenom said:
SmurfInHell said:
ChangelingVenom said:

No, you know when the clerics heal neighboring troops? I do not get how it instant kills every undead, even the strongest, especially at that large radii. I mean, a single cleric killed ten of my knights at once!

Ahhh! if it's the heal spell then that makes more sense. I think your problem will be resolved when "evil clerics" enter. They will have the same form of heal, except harming the living and healing the undead. Then it should equal out well.

The heal spell doesn't affect nearby undead. What could have happened, though, is that particular high level cleric using turn/destroy undead on those undead knights. Turning/destroying high level undead like knights, liches and undead lords isn't easy, so I guess you had bad luck. 

CHIMouttathisplane said:

I think that being allowed to deploy your forces in formations and such would really enhance it, since you don't just have cavalry, infantry and archers, but also stealth troops, wizards, golems and undead fodder.

I would love to troops form in ranks like some mods have automatically.

CHIMouttathisplane said:

I have to second this as well, it's one of the best mods for WB, and with this mod's many special abilities (which I enjoy thoroughly) it would be very nice to decide what to deploy before the battle starts.

I'd also suggest increasing the costs of high-level mages and clerics to better reflect their actual power.

guspav said:
The heal spell doesn't affect nearby undead. What could have happened, though, is that particular high level cleric using turn/destroy undead on those undead knights. Turning/destroying high level undead like knights, liches and undead lords isn't easy, so I guess you had bad luck.

Hmm... that cleric just earned a bonus paycheck then!

Why necromant can't transform living reature to undead(from prisoner and living man in army)? MORE UNDEAD FOR UNDEAD GOD!

Maybe it bug or feature: why we can't update rised skeletons and zombies, but shadows can be updating?
And little question: undead army take bonus from food... it's normal?

sorry for offtopic

Hmm the one thing I'd like more than any other at the moment is the option to make your wife a companion,
which there is code for this in the open source mods section.  As seen in other mods its not bulletproof;
items keep disappearing from her equipped inventory, not just after seeing her at court but in general head gear
and weapons keep getting fumbled; they dont show but later the character is seen using maces etc earlier given.

Anyway I like the idea of the wife being more than just a trophy-with-a-chest (in various senses)*.

If the wife's character matters in her decision to emulate Helga then so much the better.  Roleplay matters.

I somewhat miss having a chest at a banker, such as 4-ways inn, as it would be truly cool to have a locking safe
deposit box that can't be lost, perhaps explaining it as a sort of inheritance. 

Also its possible to abuse the loan priveleges in the model I have, but thats a seperate issue entirely...  :smile:

Please stop me when I make a mistake here. I haven't done this but...
1) Bankers give you 5% return on investment when you invest.
So 10 000 gives you 500 a week.
That is almost as good as building a business in most towns and better than anything you can build in some of them.
2) You loose out on business income because the town is owned by a hostile faction.  You never loose out on investment gains.
3) You don't have to invest 1000s at a time unlink building a business.
Is it still worthwhile to construct businesses?

Two features I would like and where I saw them (I think): investing in land with diminishing returns (Floris); superfood/warchest you can get later on (PoP).

Currently, there doesn't appear to be a way to recruit the "ultra endgame" troops unless you have a high reputation with the faction they're with. Some method of doing this, if not already implemented, when creating your own empire would be awesome. Perhaps a way of choosing what race of empire you wish to be when starting your rule, and a high cost to change this at a later point, rather than having to pay a price in time and money for each individual village, castle and town.

Removal of morale penalties from risen undead troops. Mummies are intelligent, free willed undead, so it is acceptable to have them abandon at times, if things are going badly. However, Shadows, Zombies and Skeletons are risen from your power and linked to you, so they shouldn't grumble about the party being too large, or suffering too many losses. To quote How to Be a Villain, by Neil Zawacki:

"The undead require very little maintenance and rarely demand a salary or benefits. What they lack in speed and agility they more than make up for in persistence and can-do attitude. You won't hear any sass or whining from the undead! Since the victims themselves are transformed into walking undead, these henchmen are a smart investment that will grow your organization even when you are busy with other tasks."

Unique buildings for towns based on the race that rules them would also be amazing. Some examples I can think of:
Necropolis: (Mummy) Raises basic undead units every week, adding them to the garrison. Can be configured for masses of level 1 units, such as zombies or skeletons, or a few advanced units, such as later tier mummies or shadows.
Gunsmith's Forge: (Dwarf) Enables advanced firearm units to be trained directly in the town, separate from the Recruit Units menu. Allows better firearms to be purchased from the town it was created in.
Temple of the Damned: (Any race, though extremely expensive, and lowers relation with "good" factions) Allows demon units to be recruited, in fairly small numbers. Possible method of getting demons to be recruitable aside from signing them up from your prison list. Requires a sacrifice of imprisoned units to function, giving a return based on the level of prisoners consumed. No more ransom brokers needed!
Assassin's Guild: (Drow) Allows you to hire and send out "hit squads," or parties that seek out a specific target and attempt to eliminate them. If unable to complete the mission, they may refund a portion of gold used. Very small random chance to have the party return and attempt to kill you instead.
Bank: (Any) Gives an income boost based on the prosperity of the town. Functions similarly to the Gnomish bank in the Four Ways Inn, if not explicitly linked to it and any other constructed banks.
Barracks: (Native Races, possibly in lesser forms for others) Gives a considerable boost to automatically training any units in the garrison. A way to ensure that the native races aren't completely neglected from selection as a base for your empire. Requires additional upkeep as training costs.

Some of the things from Floris I would love to see added (especially as someone who almost always attempts to initiate his own rule at some point):

Patrols. Initiated from either a new recruitable NPC, or the existing companion appointed, they would help keep your land clear of the annoying, tiny bandit stacks that wreck your economy en masse in the late game.

Town Recruiting/Training. Similar to the above, it sends out a messenger of sorts who gathers troop of the type you chose, then returns them to the castle/town. Once there, you can pay a weekly fee for a trainer to spend some time leveling up these new units.

Bandit Heroes. Or some other method of congregating the large number of bandit stacks into larger ones, causing them to become a much more serious threat if left unchecked. I recently ran by the Khergit Khanate with a 200 or so stack of my own units, and the number of 10-30, uncatchable steppe bandits was extremely annoying.

Troop tree report. The ability to see the equipment, stats and cost of each portion of the troop progression from the Reports screen. Not essential, just useful if you end up planning an army, especially for the new races.

(For Ransom Brokers) Sell all prisoners. A quick way to simply sell off any prisoners in your inventory. If possible, a way to pay the broker on a weekly basis to stay in a town of your choosing.

Just a few ideas -

it would be nice to be able to talk to your troops and create a patrol to follow you, or to patrol a certain area of the map. If the leader of the patrol is a necromancer, it would be nice if every week he raised his own troops.

For the lich transformation - it would be nice if as a lich you were able to summon flesh golems, and have access to particular spells that would make you a very dangerous foe to offset all the negatives. I don't see much of a reason to become a lich as of yet, because compared to a regular necromancer, a lich should have far more control over the type and amount of undead it can raise, especially if the entire continent hates you. What i'd like to see is different undead types over all. Skeletons, zombies, and shadows are cool - but I'd like to see some type of golem or abomination, or maybe the ability to turn the living into twisted shadow knights, but for that you'd need prisoners since undead cavalry doesn't make much sense.

I also think the night/day thing for undead isn't right. Zombies and other types of undead have nothing against sunlight. The only type of undead that have anything against sunlight are vampires, and I dont see them in this game. There shouldn't be any bonus for day or night, and there shouldn't be any penalty - besides, its extra work that doesnt add much to the game that would make it fun. it's just another thing you have to keep an eye on for no reason.

Demons and Blazing Hand paladins are ok with each other for some reason.  I'd suggest that the only units you can have with demons without a morale drop are drow and orcs (and possibly undead).

Back
Top Bottom