The Malazan Book Of The Fallen discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Being a huge fan, I would like to talk about the book a bit with people here, the facebook groups are good for discussions but they get too busy and I end up getting too many notifications and Unfollowing the threads.

I suggest if you want to take place in the discussion to warn about spoilers as people may be at different stages, If you have not read all the books be extra careful as it may get ruined for you!

I would like to start the discussion with the obvious: How did you get into the series, did any one recommend it? did some one buy it for you? or like me, did you randomly pick it up from the shelf because it looked pretty.

If you have any art work that you have made (no stuff you find on google please) feel free to post it and I will try to keep up the OP and add some nice pictures.

Si-A-erra. said:
or like me, did you randomly pick it up from the shelf because it looked pretty.

Pretty much this. I had just finished reading the latest Wheel of Time book and needed something new to read. I wasn't expecting much, but ended up finding two of my favourite books of all time.

Mostly signatures and talk on this forum got me interested in the series and I tried the first book and liked it a lot. After that it was just a matter of getting a hold of 9 other books.

Deadhouse Gates might be my favourite in the series.

Amagic said:
Si-A-erra. said:
or like me, did you randomly pick it up from the shelf because it looked pretty.

Pretty much this. I had just finished reading the latest Wheel of Time book and needed something new to read. I wasn't expecting much, but ended up finding two of my favourite books of all time.

It was basically the same for me, I was going on vacation and had pretty much exhausted my own library, so I went to a book store and thought Gardens of the Moon looked decent enough. A couple days later I was finished it and was driving around trying to find a bookstore while on vacation to get Deadhouse Gates and my love of the series was pretty much cemented after that.

On the topic of my favourite Malazan art:

thebonehuntersus.jpg

Just joking. Fortunately I don't have the Tor editions of the books.  :razz:

Kazzan said:
Mostly signatures and talk on this forum got me interested in the series and I tried the first book and liked it a lot. After that it was just a matter of getting a hold of 9 other books.

Deadhouse Gates might be my favourite in the series.
Same for me.
I disliked the first book, I couldn't really get into it and when I did it was over, but Deadhouse Gates is easily one of my favourite books of all time and made more than up for it.

I remember reading somewhere that the first chapter of the fourth book was almost literally the novelized version of a GURPS campaign Erikson GM'ed with Esslemont, who was playing the role of Karsa Orlong. E. had no idea what he was getting into, which is why Karsa is like that at the beginning, almost like in a power fantasy, then Erikson proceeded to **** with his mind until he cried. :razz:

Have you read Forge of Darkness yet? Just as I though I was starting to figure out some things, that book just threw a gigantic bloody wrench at me.

I have that lying around here, but I won't read it just yet. The next one is about to come out sometime soon - was it this month even? - and then I can just read them one after another. :>

I heard there's some really heavy inconsistencies in terms of the timeline in that one, but that Erickson said he was aware of that and it was done on purpose. I can see a huge, huge mind-**** coming right there. :razz:

Oh, I forgot about most of that in the meantime anway. :lol:
Esslemont's books are way more about the story and characters than racial lore and all the stuff that Erickson loves so much. Best example "Mother Dark" and "Father Light", who are concepts, ideologies, and also characters in the story. **** yeah. :lol:

I think the inconsistencies are more to do with the huge amount of time that elapses, makes me wonder if ascendants go a bit scenile forget things, or if memories are blurred by outside sources lilestudies suggest they are. My thought on it is that it is similar to what happens to the edur, but to a smaller extent

Amagic said:
Have you read Forge of Darkness yet? Just as I though I was starting to figure out some things, that book just threw a gigantic bloody wrench at me.
Yeah, Forge of Darkness was a glorious read. Though in my mind it really seemed to more clear things up - while the lore about Tiste in MBotF was interesting, it really never made sense or fit together completely, kinda like ridiculously old legends wouldn't, so it's really reading about what exactly happened. I don't know to what extent that was planned, but knowing Erikson he was probably being purposefully vague for the entire series in preparation for this. :razz:

Oh, and I'm just really excited to see more of Hood's story. That's one ****ing ambitious Jaghut.

I picked up a book at the store yesterday and realized later that it was part of the Malazan Book Of The Fallen series (though it gave no number on the cover or the back). As it turns out, it's the fifth book. Is it advisable to read them in order? Because I'm pondering returning the book.

I can't think of any, but it's possible and it was worth asking so I wouldn't have to make an unnecessary trip to the store.

Back
Top Bottom