Automated Mod List - Instructions inside [BETA] - BIG RELAUNCH! - 500 mods!

Users who are viewing this thread

Darwin

Watchin' your language...
Section Moderator

Big relaunch!
Today, 20th June, I relaunched a completely overhauled version of the site! It was completely reimplemented and now supports lots of new features:
  • advanced filtering
  • all games of the M&B series supported!
  • over 300 mods listed!
  • new interface
  • updated/new badge: Know what's new or was recently updated
  • supported languages listed

This update also includes the ability to manually maintain mod information, which is mainly done by Jabdi. If you notice any incorrect or outdated information, please don't hesitate to contact us! :smile:

If you're interested in helping maintaining the site, please contact me via PM or email. :smile:

Greetings fellows!
I am proud to announce the creation of a fully automated mod list!

What the hell is this?
It basically consists of two parts:
A crawler which searches for information in the mod topics every 30 minutes. (i.e. the list is updated every 30 minutes!)
And a website which presents the information gathered to you: http://www.mountandblade-mods.net

Sounds cool! But how can I add my mod to that?
You need to include the information in your topic/sub-board like this:

a) I have a single mod topic

In the first post of the topic, include the following:
Code:
[spoiler=Mod List Info]Name: YourModsNameGoesHere
Version: The current version
Game version: For what version of the game is it?
Category: Categories your mod fits in best. You can choose between one and four. [see list below!]
Short Info: A short informational text about your mod. Short! (Also, don't do line breaks!)
Mode: MP/SP/B
Languages: EN/DE/IT/FR (Use the international short forms, seperated with comma (like "EN, DE, FR")! Those are obviously the languages your mod was translated to.)
[/spoiler]

Please mind the white spaces after the colons!

Note: Languages are not implemented in the website, yet, but please do include them in your spoiler.

b) I have a mod board
  • Create a topic in the board named "Mod List Info" (Exactly like that!)
  • Put the spoiler in this topic as described above.
  • Sticky the topic!

c) I have a board hosted externally
Sorry guys, not possible for now. But on the long term list.

But there's a column "author" on the site, how does it get there?
The person who posted the spoiler is listed as author.

Total Conversion
Admin Utility
Map Pack
Troops
Partial Conversion
MP mode
Items
Compilation
Graphics
Interface
Mechanics
Sound
Fantasy
Sci-Fi

Do not use other Categories!

Huge credits go to J and JabdiMelborn!

If you have questions or feedback, please post them here or via the contact information supplied on the website.

For planned features, please read the "Plans?" section on the site.

This is not finished yet - it may behave unexpected.

The only issue i see is having to sticky the topic as it adds to clutter. I presume it is there to avoid having to crawl through all topics on the board?

Exactly. That would lead to a massive increase in number of requests and traffic. I thought about using the board description, but that would've been much less flexible.

An alternative (albeit still more to search) would be to simply check all stickies.

Duh said:
An alternative (albeit still more to search) would be to simply check all stickies.

Would be pretty muh the same effort as crawling the whole board. But I'll see if I can optimize this point.

Moss said:
Absolutely brilliant Darwin, this is great.

Thanks. :smile:

...It work if modder begin to add this on their thread:...

Code:
[spoiler=Mod List Info]Name: YourModsNameGoesHere
Version: The current version
Game version: For what version of the game is it?
Category: Categories your mod fits in best. You can choose between one and four. [see list below!]
Short Info: A short informational text about your mod. Short! (Also, don't do line breaks!)
Mode: MP/SP/B
Languages: EN/DE/IT/FR (Use the international short forms, seperated with comma (like "EN, DE, FR")! Those are obviously the languages your mod was translated to.)
[/spoiler]

...and onestly i've no idea why they don't do it...

ciauz^^,
Jab

That's correct and worked, as you can see at http://www.mountandblade-mods.net :smile:

To the other modders out there: Why are you currently not using this? Is it too complicated? Is the description not understandable? Do you not want to add things to your mod topics/boards?

Darwin said:
To the other modders out there: Why are you currently not using this? Is it too complicated? Is the description not understandable? Do you not want to add things to your mod topics/boards?
When I saw this earlier I didn't bother because of not liking a clutter of sticky threads, making it more confusing for new players, and decreasing the relative importance of the main threads. But maybe an old sticky could be removed to swap with it.

Vornne said:
Darwin said:
When I saw this earlier I didn't bother because of not liking a clutter of sticky threads, making it more confusing for new players, and decreasing the relative importance of the main threads. But maybe an old sticky could be removed to swap with it.

I see. However, the only two ways that I see is either including the information in the board description, which would require high administrational effort, or the way it is now. Any suggestions, ideas?

I'm willing to throw some pennies in and bet that few people actively look inside the Caravanserai sub-forum and instead head straight to their chosen mod off the front page. I only became aware of this because someone had posted it on Twitter.

Did I do it right? Here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=296240.msg7036809#msg7036809

EDIT: Scratch that, I saw the mod on the list, I did it alright. I hope more people use this list, because it's far easier and better to use than the Caravanserai. Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom