Bristol - Banksy street-art removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Blobmania

Grandmaster Knight
As some of you may be aware, the new piece of street art by guerilla graffiti-artist Banksy (image shown below) was recently taken (by crowbar) from it's public location after only a few hours on display.

SWNS_BANKSY_BRISTOL_04-470599.jpg

The piece of art was removed not by the owner of the wall, but by a boy's club located next door (under the pretence of "protecting" the artwork). The boy's club are now demanding donations from people wishing to view the artwork, an have admitted planning to sell the piece for £100,000+. They are defending their actions with the excuse that without the money the artwork could provide, their boy's club will not have the funds to continue running.

Now I'm hardly impartial here, I live and study in Bristol and walk past a Banksy every time I walk into town. I'm even planning on having part of a Banksy piece tattoo'd onto my shoulder once I can afford it. However, I think that whatever their reasons the assumption that these people can simply walk up and steal a piece of public artwork just because they're short on funds themselves is despicable. They don't even own the wall that it was placed on - if they did, I'd still find it morally objectionable but at least they would have some sort of a right to it as the owners.

If having no money somehow gives you the right to go out and steal pieces of Bristol culture then I suppose I'm in luck - I might have to go and bag myself a flag from the SS Great Britain, and maybe I'll grab one of those Gromit statues while I'm at it.

As far as I'm concerned, if the Boy's Club is under threat of closure then they have no-one to blame but themselves. I am sure they are providing a hugely beneficial and admirable service to the community, but if they can't fashion that into a workable business model at least to keep themselves running then they've got no place in being there. The money from the painting won't last forever, and once that's gone what do they plan on doing next - steal another piece of public art to be flogged to a private owner?

I would have no issue if they took advantage of the piece as a tourist attraction and placed a "donations" box nearby. If anything that would allow people to show their appreciation of the piece in a more objective fashion. Taking the piece and forcing people to pay to view it though is, in my opinion, totally against everything that Banksy's art stands for. They might say that it's for a good cause, but they still had no right to do it.

BBC Article

/Rant over.

Discuss.

Yeah here in somerset Banksy is seen pretty much as a hero. He also does make some really good art but sometimes his whole attitude of "I'm going to spray paint in public buildings because **** you government lol!" is annoying.

I just love the whole culture of it in Bristol. I live just off Gloucester road and it's literally full of street art, usually they get replace or painted over with new murals every few weeks or months. A lot of it is truly beautiful, I really think it's something that everyone can appreciate even if they don't necessarily agree with the sentiment behind it.

This one actually pissed me off quite a bit, even if the man was doing it to get money for a youth club it still is a massive **** move to take some art ( Even if you don't like Bansky it is still art) and charge the public to see it then sell it afterwards. I am not a fan of Banksy I think that he is very hypocritical. But this still boils my blood.

Bristolians aren't known for their common sense.
At the end of the day though, at least none of us live in Shepton mallet (or as it's known in Frome, **** and smell it)

Banksy's gotten too big for his own purposes. Hard to make a statement about the flaws in a system when your "statement" will just be sold into that very system. It undermines the art's purpose as well. This piece isn't particularly controversial of course - but some of his other works are now held in the homes of those the pieces were painted to perturb. Once streetart has a price tag attached, the value of the sentiment is lost. (or devalued to a measly 100000 quid)

I'm sort of indifferent. A lot of Graffiti artists in the rest of the world hate banksy, because of his status as a rockstar contradicting what he has to say, which is never very provocative or complex. It's state-approved, centrist protest art.

There are a million more talented graffiti artists (go to berlin, for example), but the fact that he's "british" coupled with his "I'm a mysterious badass" shtick mean that he's allowed to get away with stuff that nobody else would. Plus, he's swimming in the sterling and probably lives in that place near Bournemouth. His preachy art feels like when Hollywood tells us to feel bad for not giving more to charity.

The only street art we get around here goes from the Murals made by Tudor Grange Academy straight to spraypainted phone numbers along with the exaggerated and engorged endowments of their owners. :c

Back
Top Bottom