Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 5 - Virtual Skeletons

Users who are viewing this thread

Happy Friday to avid readers and passers by. It has been a little while since our last Bannerlord Blog. In this entry we are once more decreasing the number of unblogged rooms in the office by one. Although some animations are made and polished in various parts of the office, many are captured in our very own motion capture studio near the main door of our offices. The animation hub and thus the associated blog room for this episode.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/6

jacobhinds said:
Horseback combat in m&b was horribly dumbed down. Even in warband it's not that hard - just point the reticule at your target and swing. As for everything else, it's all anout timing.

well you could say dumbed down but not in the good difficulty manner (meaning. no that it was hard and they easened it for stupid fanboys. but it got ssome terrble addditions that wasted it). examples. in the past, you could easily make a right (direction) movement of the sword and you got the hit where you wanted. now it's a mess. also with the (buggy) new directions of where the sword can hit it made making an accurate (and timed) shot much harder. also the reach seems incredibly small from what it was in the past, even in the longest swords. i remember running around on fields and beatting armies on the horse and now eagerly unmounting because of the nerve-cracking system.

I don't see how beating entire armies single handed is fun :neutral: at any rate, the inclusion of multiplayer in warband forced them to balance all the options.
Try using a lance from horseback. The sword cuts are intentionally close to the player rather than the crazy, wrist-crushing lean they used to do. Warband horseback favours well-timed spear thrusts, and a fast sword if you get stuck.

*****slaproof-vest said:
jacobhinds said:
Horseback combat in m&b was horribly dumbed down. Even in warband it's not that hard - just point the reticule at your target and swing. As for everything else, it's all anout timing.

well you could say dumbed down but not in the good difficulty manner (meaning. no that it was hard and they easened it for stupid fanboys. but it got ssome terrble addditions that wasted it). examples. in the past, you could easily make a right (direction) movement of the sword and you got the hit where you wanted. now it's a mess. also with the (buggy) new directions of where the sword can hit it made making an accurate (and timed) shot much harder. also the reach seems incredibly small from what it was in the past, even in the longest swords. i remember running around on fields and beatting armies on the horse and now eagerly unmounting because of the nerve-cracking system.

I experience none of these issues and just sounds like you need to

get guud

Tybalt_ said:
*****slaproof-vest said:
jacobhinds said:

get guud

allow me to believe you are mistaken? i was very good. and with skill in all kinds of weapons. i prefer the "harder" old system anyday.

jacobhinds said:
I don't see how beating entire armies single handed is fun :neutral: at any rate, the inclusion of multiplayer in warband forced them to balance all the options.
Try using a lance from horseback. The sword cuts are intentionally close to the player rather than the crazy, wrist-crushing lean they used to do. Warband horseback favours well-timed spear thrusts, and a fast sword if you get stuck.

are you serious? in a game where the allies have zero ai, and so no strategy can be used, what else is there left? i always went behind the enemies lines, said to my people to wait on the starting zone, i slaughtered the most, and when it was time i ordered a massive attack. if i waited when they would finish a battle with infantry chasing horses and stuff i would wait an eternity.

*****slaproof-vest said:

I'm fairly certain that the combat animations in Warband are both an aesthetic and gameplay improvement over the original Mount & Blade. It was screwy that you could always outreach an infantryman from horseback when using the same exact weapon despite having to reach down. Now, if you want to outreach infantry with a sword from horseback, you have to do what real cavalry did and use a longer sword to accommodate for your raised position. You can still definitely outreach infantry from horseback with swords and lances. Also, don't forget that your horse is your most powerful weapon, and you can use it to bump infantry, breaking their block. Mounted combat isn't any worse than in the original, it's just different. It doesn't take long to get used to these differences.

Pro tip, when doing side swings from horseback try looking up/down to change the angle your sword makes with the ground. This can increase your effective reach. Also remember that you're naturally going to have more reach on your right side because you don't have to cross your body with your swings/thrusts.

It really does sound like you never took the time to get accustomed to the new animations. They're fine.

*****slaproof-vest said:
Tybalt_ said:

get guud
Tybalt_ said:
allow me to believe you are mistaken? i was very good. and with skill in all kinds of weapons. i prefer the "harder" old system anyday.

Because having a longer reach and being able to slaughter many without difficulty is obviously "harder".

*****slaproof-vest said:
jacobhinds said:

are you serious? in a game where the allies have zero ai, and so no strategy can be used, what else is there left? i always went behind the enemies lines, said to my people to wait on the starting zone, i slaughtered the most, and when it was time i ordered a massive attack. if i waited when they would finish a battle with infantry chasing horses and stuff i would wait an eternity.

Or you can have some fun and tell your troops to attack, too. You know, to have fun in a video game. Besides, I'm pretty sure AI will be greatly improved in Bannerlord so it would be a shame if you could take on a whole army by yourself (That's excluding cheats, of course).

And all of this:
Orion said:
I'm fairly certain that the combat animations in Warband are both an aesthetic and gameplay improvement over the original Mount & Blade. It was screwy that you could always outreach an infantryman from horseback when using the same exact weapon despite having to reach down. Now, if you want to outreach infantry with a sword from horseback, you have to do what real cavalry did and use a longer sword to accommodate for your raised position. You can still definitely outreach infantry from horseback with swords and lances. Also, don't forget that your horse is your most powerful weapon, and you can use it to bump infantry, breaking their block. Mounted combat isn't any worse than in the original, it's just different. It doesn't take long to get used to these differences.

Pro tip, when doing side swings from horseback try looking up/down to change the angle your sword makes with the ground. This can increase your effective reach. Also remember that you're naturally going to have more reach on your right side because you don't have to cross your body with your swings/thrusts.

It really does sound like you never took the time to get accustomed to the new animations. They're fine.

Antar said:
Or you can have some fun and tell your troops to attack, too. You know, to have fun in a video game. Besides, I'm pretty sure AI will be greatly improved in Bannerlord so it would be a shame if you could take on a whole army by yourself (That's excluding cheats, of course).
I for one hope they remove the cheat option. Not much bragging rights for beating a game where in just a few ticks you can be SuperLord from Krypton.

I disagree with cheating as a gameplay style, but I don't think they should remove it. It's invaluable for modders, and if you're in the mood for better battles than the ones in custom, you can fire up a new game and search around for a large lord party.
Not being able to use the cheats on demand without reloading the game is enough deterrent for me, anyway. And if you're concerned about bragging rights, show 'em your steam achievements. They don't accumulated if you're in cheats enabled mode.

Antar said:
*****slaproof-vest said:
Tybalt_ said:

get guud
Tybalt_ said:

Because having a longer reach and being able to slaughter many without difficulty is obviously "harder".

*****slaproof-vest said:
jacobhinds said:

And all of this:
Orion said:

well it was harder, and i was better, i just cant explain it. sometimes when changes happen in something some people are happy with it and some other are not. i guess i didnt pretty much like the new system. and please don't make accusations for something you probably dont know/ haven't experienced. an example of the huge gap between them. in the old version a dificulty 4 shot was something like a difficulty 8 shot in the newest one. and i was delivering fours and fives all the time. npcs like kratos and xarena could slice you like a japanese chef (WITH your horse) slices a potato in the midair (literally) with their speed and power but i always gave them hell in the tournaments. but these are long gone moments. it is a huge time gap too though. some guys that claim that followed it all these years, maybe where able to adjust more harmonically to the new concepts.

LordCorbin said:
Antar said:
I for one hope they remove the cheat option. Not much bragging rights for beating a game where in just a few ticks you can be SuperLord from Krypton.

ha ha! i hope they don't just improve the enemy ai but your allies too lol. that would be a serious problem  :lol:

Now that the ai gets improved in bannerlord I really hope they increase the importance of the human factor in strategy cause it will be the only thing to make the difference and win you a battle, siege, war etc. also if you train your men very much it should also give you a slight advantage to the enemies, especially in the endgame.

How do you think the betta testing will be done? will they realese a version where you could advance one character to level 60 or sth? will they choose some people and give them access keys? how do you think it will be done?  I would Love to be a betta tester.

Inanch-Bilge said:
Where did they said that ?

It's no great leap of the imagination to assume they'll have some kind of closed, open, or buy-in beta test. They've done it for their past two titles. Good times, too. The devs became very active in and responsive to the community during their beta tests.

Back
Top Bottom