Killable Lords, Children and Heirs, Large time advancements

Users who are viewing this thread

I believe this is in the right place, please move it to a more appropriate section if necessary.

My suggestions for Banner Lord is to create a more challenging game by allowing Kings and lords to be killed in battle (% chance would be controlled by the player in the options) or executed once captured, this includes the player character and the players vassals.

In order to stop the game running out of Lords, marriages and children should be automatically produced for lords with a maximum and minimum number set by the player. The player can also have children by selecting and option when speaking to their spouse ( time will speed up and a message will pop up announcing the spouse/player if female is pregnant). After 9 months of game time a child will be born and can be made the players heir. The player character can only be killed in game if an heir is living as heirs will inherit their parents lands and titles once they are killed.

In order to make this feature work properly a time advancement system needs to be implemented, if your faction is at peace with everyone and you go to your home, you should select an amount of time that you wish to wait (1month-5years) this time will be interrupted if your faction becomes involved in a war or you begin to significantly lose money etc. As this system will be in place, ages will also play a factor in whether or not Lords die or not with random events also potentially killing Lords and potentially the player (hunting accident, plague  etc). When you come out of the time advancement, you will be given an overview of what has happened in the world, i.e. deaths, wars, fief control.

I think I've mentioned everything, I just feel like this will provide a more challenging game with more difficult decisions for the player to make and also potential death penalties as you could leave behind a 2 year old son as your heir who will have to wait until he comes of age to fight and command. It would place more emphasis on marriage as I feel once you've married at the moment there is nothing else to do, having children and then betrothing them to other lords children for power would add more to the game.

Please feel free to pick apart any holes in the suggestion and put forward your own suggestions for how to improve it.

This has been implemented in a few mods already, but it's fairly limited by the current engine ("lord deaths" just respawn the lord but with a new name and face).

The main reason i can't see this being implemented is just...what's the point? Dont get me wrong, this isn't an issue with your suggestion. It's just that there are far too many lords in mount and blade to be able to keep track of. Often you might be in a faction for years and not have met all the lords.
So being able to kill lords just seems like a waste of time to me, since there is going to have to be some feature that replaces them, more likely than not with more generic lords. At the moment, no matter how hard you try to slow yourself down in midgame and behave like less of a robot, it still boils down to "meet lord, spam click, win battle, repeat" because all the lords are basically the same.
If they could give a bit more diversity to lords than just slightly altered robot dialogue and barely distinguishable faces, being able to kill lords would mean something because you might have some emotional response. Perhaps a mod where there arent so bloody many of them, and you can develop proper vendettas and the like, rather than a soulless relationship bar at the bottom.

I like the idea to speed up time, though. It doesn't seem feasible to make such large time jumps as 6 months or so, but the current "Speed up time" thing is pretty weak. Makes waiting for war really tedious.

I think it would make the game feel more alive. Imagine, you create your Kingdom, take a few castles and a fews towns. Give a town to your favourite companion who then gets married and has children. War's declared by another faction, your companion is captured and executed by a Lord from the other faction, are you saying you wouldn't feel a vendetta against that lord, I'd personally want to make him a head shorter and destroy the entire faction.

I feel at the moment that when you've conquered several factions the game can feel quite empty and dull. Perhaps adding this feature could help, or even a better faction surrender feature. Like say your kingdom is fighting the nords and destroying them, they then offer you peace and accept you as their king, their King becomes a High powered Lord still effectively ruling the nords but he answers to you as his liege. This could then be pushed further to allow for rebellions, say the Nords then recrown their King and attack you, or a small band of lords crown a new king and start a rebellion. Something to keep the game going and feeling fresh.

I think children and heirs should be implemented as it will feel like you're creating a legacy, and by dying and taking over as one of your children it gives you the chance to play the game in a different way as you'd be a new character. Killing lords would have to be done correctly but I feel like it would definitely add to the game and as this would be for Bannerlord, it'd make the game feel more original rather than a HD Warband.

Currently playing a game called Crusader Kings 2, the time mechanics, vassal and family lineage from this game would be brilliant in Mount and Blade

jacobhinds said:
This has been implemented in a few mods already, but it's fairly limited by the current engine ("lord deaths" just respawn the lord but with a new name and face).

The main reason i can't see this being implemented is just...what's the point? Dont get me wrong, this isn't an issue with your suggestion. It's just that there are far too many lords in mount and blade to be able to keep track of. Often you might be in a faction for years and not have met all the lords.
So being able to kill lords just seems like a waste of time to me, since there is going to have to be some feature that replaces them, more likely than not with more generic lords. At the moment, no matter how hard you try to slow yourself down in midgame and behave like less of a robot, it still boils down to "meet lord, spam click, win battle, repeat" because all the lords are basically the same.
If they could give a bit more diversity to lords than just slightly altered robot dialogue and barely distinguishable faces, being able to kill lords would mean something because you might have some emotional response. Perhaps a mod where there arent so bloody many of them, and you can develop proper vendettas and the like, rather than a soulless relationship bar at the bottom.

I like the idea to speed up time, though. It doesn't seem feasible to make such large time jumps as 6 months or so, but the current "Speed up time" thing is pretty weak. Makes waiting for war really tedious.

There are several reasons. Some for the main game, some for modding.

Because you can finally kill Lord X who's bugged you all game, you can imprison him in your dungeon and execut him, or finish him on the field.

One because it allows for things like heirs and successions or even civil wars events when two sons both want the same title or holding, or if no sons exist a holding to go independent or form a new house/faction.

It allows dynasty feuds to exist, assassins, the player to play as an assassin or hire one. It means your character is no longer invulnerable and his son or daughter might succeed him if he falls to a mortal wound.

It better simulates the period, empires or kingdoms feuding over the next lord or lady to inherit, new missions, events and quests.

This would be amazing.

It would mean you could potentially wipe a culture if you really wanted to.
and loosing your lords would sting.

They should add in a lord growth thing as well where the lords get better stats as they do actions.

So let's say you killed, for example, someone who has a relative who is a lord. Then that relative will be very, VERY angry at you, and will try to chase you no matter what the army difference is, unless that relative just disliked his killed brother. He wouldn't hate you as much, but will still try to look for you if in battle.

Let's say you killed someone without a relative who is a lord, but who has a son. That son will take a couple of years to get into the game because of age reasons and his dad not there directly. But when he DOES grow up without his faction eliminated or him assassinated, he will be an eager young boy (15?) looking to avenge his father. His priority of destruction will be:
1. You.
2. Your friends.
3. Your vassals.
4. Your faction.
5. His dad's enemies.
6. His faction's enemies.
7. Bandits.
Is that what you're trying to imply?

I think this is a very good idea. It gives a more realistic feel to a game of this setting. I think the Game of Thrones shows us what life during those times was really like. Sure wars and taking castles was a big thing, but most of it was political disputes, something that seems lacking in M&B. Then as said above, the generals feel very robotic and generic. What they could do is have a list of set personalities with varying dialect and dialect choices when speaking to them. I also find that taking a wife in the game is pretty pointless, since even she is a lifeless robot, so if they added the option of children, and maybe perhaps the wife can have a bit more of an impact as well. Maybe she can send you out on errands, or offer her opinion on how to deal with other lords, and of course all of it would change depending on her personality type. You could have children and name an heir to your character, thus if your character is killed, you now assume your heir as a playable character. They could also kill off characters via the option of killing when you capture, killed in combat, illness, assassinated, ect. I dont think you would need large time advancements, but I would like to see time continue on during combat. Sieges and whatnot dont take an instant if you partake in the battle, they should still take days to complete.

I've seen this in a few mods before, and it works. it creates a lot of drama if you role-play. I personally role-play, and don't try to min max everything, so my character always has enemies and really good friends.

Viking-AllFather said:
Age of Arthur mod have this,do someone know what kind of mod have it aswell ?

Brytenwalda, AWOIAF, Sword of Damocles, Floris and its variants, some versions of Diplomacy let you do it.

Woyeyeh said:
So let's say you killed, for example, someone who has a relative who is a lord. Then that relative will be very, VERY angry at you, and will try to chase you no matter what the army difference is, unless that relative just disliked his killed brother. He wouldn't hate you as much, but will still try to look for you if in battle.

Let's say you killed someone without a relative who is a lord, but who has a son. That son will take a couple of years to get into the game because of age reasons and his dad not there directly. But when he DOES grow up without his faction eliminated or him assassinated, he will be an eager young boy (15?) looking to avenge his father. His priority of destruction will be:
1. You.
2. Your friends.
3. Your vassals.
4. Your faction.
5. His dad's enemies.
6. His faction's enemies.
7. Bandits.
Is that what you're trying to imply?

This could definitely work. however adjustments to how fast time flows would need to be made, or you should have the ability to fast forward a year or two for maximum profit. the way i see it, time already flows too slow, and you've conquered an entire continent within 2 years.

Rules said:
No Spam
Spam clogs up the forum, makes relevant and accurate information harder to find and causes the forum to slow down for everybody. The definition of ‘spam’ includes, but is not limited to, the following actions:
  • Multi-posting — if you need to add something, and yours was the last post in the thread, edit your last post instead of adding a new one

Back
Top Bottom