The thread that is now the unofficial PC builds thread :P

Users who are viewing this thread

edit 10/9/14: It seems that everyone wants to use this thread as a general PC builds thread, so I've (semi-jokingly) turned it into one. We'll see how this works out. :lol:

Nvidia vs EVGA is the manufacturer of the cards, they use a certain GPU model (770, 760 etc) and build the board components to support it. Some cards have different outputs or different memory controllers or coolers. They're more or less the same.

I recently constructed (reconstructed rather) a similar power system for much less than that.

CPU: 3rd Gen i7-3770k ($250)
GPU: Radeon R9 290 ($400)
Motherboard: Some Z77 ($130)
RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600 ($65)

Obviously this doesn't include some of the other costs, but based on my build here I'll put out some personal recommendations.

For the CPU, based on a bit of research, it seems like the 3770k actually outperforms the 4770k in gaming. This literally makes no sense, as the 4770k has a higher IPC (Instructions per clock), so it should be faster. But it runs hotter, which means you can't get as high of a turbo boost or overclock. My 3770k seems to be a good model as well, I'm sitting at 4.5GHz with a miniscule voltage increase compared to the average model which needs a modest increase for a stable 4.5. Not to mention the 3rd gen i-series will be cheaper.

As for GPU, I was able to sneak in my purchase of an R9 290 at $400 before the price jumped to almost $600. It outpowers the 770 at a lower price, at the cost of noise (not really) and heat (really). It runs hot, but through a bit of fan speed tweaking I'm about to max at 85c without much noise increase. Basically, if you can somehow get a R9 290 for $400, jump on it. Release benchmarks show it barely scraping behind the GTX Titan for $500 less, and the performance of my card more or less confirms this.

RAM doesn't really matter for gaming particularly much.

Screw Windows 8.

If there's any way you could save ~$100 to get an SSD for the OS, do so.

Reading between the lines here, I think that means "screw the pre-built HP, and build the computer yourself". Am I correct?

Also, about SSD's: I've read that SSD's, while much faster than traditional hard drives, eventually give out over time. I don't want to buy something and put all my important data on it only to forget to back up my files and have my OS and such all go to hell when the SSD gives out.  :???: 

Arvenski said:
Reading between the lines here, I think that means "screw the pre-built HP, and build the computer yourself". Am I correct? 

Ideally, yes. An alternative would be to buy a cheap prebuilt with the correct processor, motherboard, RAM and stick the GPU of your choice in it and maybe upgrade the power supply to match. With prebuilt they generally give you one good thing (the selling point) with a lot of not so good things (the profit).

Trevty said:
SSDs do go out over time, however that length of time is very long and actually puts them at a lower fault rate than traditional HDDs.
How long, exactly? I'm assuming it depends on how often they're used, but still, if I only had to change out the SSD, say, every couple of years, that would be worth the extra speed.

Splintert said:
Ideally, yes. An alternative would be to buy a cheap prebuilt with the correct processor, motherboard, RAM and stick the GPU of your choice in it and maybe upgrade the power supply to match. With prebuilt they generally give you one good thing (the selling point) with a lot of not so good things (the profit).
Ideally, I would build something myself. However, I don't know nearly enough about this **** to try. As for prebuilts: do all video cards fit all motherboards? Because modifying a prebuilt might not be such a bad idea. Logic says that buying a piece of crap and then upgrading it would be easier than building from scratch.

Most video cards will fit in most motherboards.

Modern GPUs require PCIe x16 2.0 or above, and are generally two slot devices (one plug but wide enough to cover to slots). You'll also need enough PCIe power cords from the PSU.

Trevty said:
SSDs do go out over time, however that length of time is very long and actually puts them at a lower fault rate than traditional HDDs.

Very long is an understatement. They did a survivability test where to kill an ssd you would have to be constantly moving data.

http://techreport.com/review/25889/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-500tb-update

"Although the 840 Series is clearly in worse shape than the competition, these results need to be put into context. 500TB works out to 140GB of writes per day for 10 years."

So, even with a samsung 840 which isn't even their best scoring ssd in this test it ran without issue for what would be overkill for most.

Arvenski said:
Ideally, I would build something myself. However, I don't know nearly enough about this **** to try. As for prebuilts: do all video cards fit all motherboards? Because modifying a prebuilt might not be such a bad idea. Logic says that buying a piece of crap and then upgrading it would be easier than building from scratch.

You could try searching on youtube for some videos on how to do it yourself. All motherboards also come with instructions that are very detailed in how to install everything. If you know what you are doing it takes only ten minutes or less (more if you want good cable management).

Well, the problem with SSD's in this case is that if I was going to buy this HP that I'm looking at (which I'm thinking of doing. It might not be perfect, but as long as it's good, I'm happy), getting a 128GB SSD along with the 2TB hard drive would be another $280 ****ing dollars.  :mad:

Trevty said:
Alternatively, don't get an internal 2TB drive.  Take whatever you have in your current machine and move it to the new one.  I make due with a 120GB SSD and a 500GB external (which is mostly empty).
lightbulb.gif

That might actually work well. Thanks.  :smile:

Screw the unnecessary 2TB drive. I can just go with the 128GB SSD (for just $90 more) and then get some cheap external hard drive from Newegg or Best Buy or the like.

Arvenski said:
So, I'm looking at buying a new PC, and while I'm trying to do my homework, I don't know a whole lot about how good the components are, so I thought I'd ask. I wasn't going to post here quite yet, but I'm getting confused and pissed off when looking at different video cards (there's the Nvidia GTX 770, and then there's the Evga GTX 770. Wtf?), so I thought I'd just post what I'm looking at now and see what some of you thought:

Computer: HP Envy Pheonix 810-130qe

Monitor: Acer S220HQLABd 21.5"

Processor: 4th Gen Intel Core i7-4770 quad core

Video card: 2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 770

RAM: 8GB DDR3

Hard drive: 2TB SATA (I don't need 2TB, but that's the lowest size they offer afaik)

Price: Around $1500 USD (*cringe*), and that's not counting the keyboard I'll buy separately.

Thoughts?

If you were to choose the parts yourself, supplier Newegg:

i5-4670K: $240, Like's been stated in the thread I made, the i7 won't give any significant benefits in gaming.
8GB RAM:  ~$100
128GG SSD: ~$90 (Samsung EVO)
2TB HDD: $100 (Seagate Barracuda)
Motherboard: ~$120
PSU: ~$100
GPU:  ~$350 (GTX770 2GB)
Monitor: $110 (HP Envy Pheonix 810-130qe)
Case: ~$120

=$1430, +shipping, construction costs (if you get a PC store to do it)

If you can get that PC pre-built then it's not a bad deal it seems.

Splintert said:
I recently constructed (reconstructed rather) a similar power system for much less than that.

CPU: 3rd Gen i7-3770k ($250)
GPU: Radeon R9 290 ($400)
Motherboard: Some Z77 ($130)
RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600 ($65)

Obviously this doesn't include some of the other costs, but based on my build here I'll put out some personal recommendations.

As for GPU, I was able to sneak in my purchase of an R9 290 at $400 before the price jumped to almost $600. It outpowers the 770 at a lower price, at the cost of noise (not really) and heat (really). It runs hot, but through a bit of fan speed tweaking I'm about to max at 85c without much noise increase. Basically, if you can somehow get a R9 290 for $400, jump on it. Release benchmarks show it barely scraping behind the GTX Titan for $500 less, and the performance of my card more or less confirms this.

Would you recommend the 290? I've been considering getting the 290 for my own PC, but I've been turned off by reports of high heat, noise and power consumption.

Arvenski said:
lightbulb.gif

That might actually work well. Thanks.  :smile:

Screw the unnecessary 2TB drive. I can just go with the 128GB SSD (for just $90 more) and then get some cheap external hard drive from Newegg or Best Buy or the like.

If you want, but I wouldn't recommend doing something radical to save $100.

I would only recommend the 290 if you have watercooling in mind. I had one for a few weeks and I couldn't stand the noise at all (reference card, there are new designs that would help with noise and cooling now).

Not to mention they are overpriced significantly due to miners. I got mine for $550 after tax but good luck getting it for less than $600 pre tax now. I am hoping they drop back to that price once supply catches up with demand.

For now I would suggest getting a 7970 used if possible. Should only be $350 or cheaper. I bought my 7970 used two years ago with a waterblock for $400. The nvidia equivalent would be a 680.

wyrda78 said:
Would you recommend the 290? I've been considering getting the 290 for my own PC, but I've been turned off by reports of high heat, noise and power consumption.

My opinion follows closely behind Kevlar's with a few differences - I don't notice the noise over my old Radeon HD 6850, it runs hotter but you can use tools to change the fan profile to change that, and power consumption isn't something I take into consideration but it is within acceptable bounds for something that competes with the GTX Titan and company. I also have a reference card from HIS, but I got mine for a meagre $400. This puts it miles ahead of anything in that price range at the time.

Quite simply, it's too expensive for what it offers at $550-600 but at the MSRP of $400 it kicks some serious ass despite the heat/power/noise issues.

I've yet to find a game that maxes it out and runs at low frames, the only thing that can max it out is Arma 3 at ridiculously unrealistic settings and it still exceeds 40 FPS.

Yeah I agree with what's been said about the 290, due to the price increase it isn't worth it atm. In Australia it's $550 bundled with Battlefield 4, though I still don't think it's worth it at $100 less than the 780. I've done a bit of research between the two cards, the 780 is much quieter, uses less power and runs much cooler, and the 780 is actually perfroms the same or beter than the 290X when both overclocked. The only real benifit of the 290 is that it's got mantle and it's optimised for Battlefield 4, looking at benchmarks even the 280X competes with the 780 on Battlefield 4.

So, a trip to Staples today has led to some rethinking about things:

1.) I wasn't impressed with the 21.5" monitors they had on display, so I'm taking a look at a couple of 19.5" screens:
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model-datasheet/UM.IG6AA.001
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model-datasheet/UM.IS0AA.002

2.) Keyboards, mice, and such. Specifically, a question for ya'll: What are trackball mice like? I don't think I'd ever seen one until today, and they look kind of interesting.

Ah, so that's why I've never seen a trackball mouse before. They're old tech. Okay, good to know.

Trevty said:
Why the tiny monitor with a ****ty resolution?
Because the smaller Acer (which I believe was similar to those two that I linked) that I saw yesterday looked a lot better than the 21.5" 1080p screens on display (which, I grant, were made by somebody I'd never heard of. AOG, maybe? They looked like ****). I don't need anything bigger than 21.5", and I'm still shopping. Those two that I linked are just what I was looking at at the time, but the search for a monitor is still very much a work-in-progress.

He went to Staples, an office supply store. They definitely won't have the good monitors. Look all over the web for a good one, and desperately go for 1080+ or you'll regret it.

Trackball mice are awesome. My school still has them. You can't get anything done with them, but they're absolutely amazing. I love them.

Also, Arvenski, when did you start using computers? You shouldn't be too old to remember trackball mice. :???:

Back
Top Bottom