SP Dark Ages The Sword And The Axe

Users who are viewing this thread

So, I've working on a new version(for a LONG while  :razz:) and I am happy to announce that the release date is close, as I am quite content with what I've done. I've also made a discord for the mod, as all the cool kids do that nowadays. So, if you want to stay updated, say hello or anything, stop by.

https://discord.gg/CVcsQ7G

EDIT: Oh, also, in the Changelog in Discord I forgot to say that the mod is based on the Module system of Version 5.1, so it has Diplomacy and all the other stuff in the previous versions.  :smile:

Sweet! Thanks!!

Glad to see we still "recite the sagas" and ... "drink mead"! :fruity:

Which reminds me ... The local meadery (YES! There IS a LOCAL meadery here!!) has the PERFECT mead for celebrations like this!! :party:

Antonis said:
:grin:
I hope you'll like the new version. And enjoy the mead!

So far, so good! Thanks for all the hard work on this. It's been awhile since I've played this one, but it seems like you've made an amazingly large number of little "quality of life" changes.

Very Nice!! :mrgreen:

I made a submod for this, changed item weights based on inspiration from Vikingr, and edited some stats and did some module.ini tweaks as well. Also changed some animations.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sword-and-the-axe-hardcore-submod-52

Obviously, you'll need 5.2 first before installing this.

First I'd like to say that I love, love this mod. Yes, it sacrifices pure "historicity" in favour of gameplay. But, man, is it ever playable! Once you've hacked the face face off a Frank, or split the Skull of a Dane, you can never go back.  :twisted:

I really enjoy the way that travel is relatively quick: no more failing quests because it takes two weeks to cross the campaign map! Armors and weapons are interesting and varied enough to accommodate many play-styles, though hack n' slash + throwing weapon seems the most rewarding. In fact, since I usually avoid power-throw altogether in mods, I don't remember the last time I had so much fun skewering enemies with javelins!

Now for the problem... Many settlements are unsiegeable due to a CTD that occurs at the battle's opening. This wouldn't be so bad if the siege auto-resolve wasn't so heavily weighted against the attacker, which makes it nearly impossible for the player to take these settlements.

This mod is truly a gem. I know Antonis has expressed that he is stepping back from public releases, but I hope this issue can be addressed in a future build. A save-game compatible patch would be even better!  :cool:

Hi, I am very glad you like the mod! If you want, head over to Discord, we are quite active there, with the latest announcements, bug reports and such. Now, the siege bug is (sadly) known to me. I use Brytenwalda's scenes, which use a different siege model. I am still looking for someone with knowledge of scene making, to fix those scenes.

Hey guys! New version, 5.3 is online. Link to MEGA in the first post of this thread. In the next few days I'll upload to ModDB, too. This version is mainly bug-fixing, but there are some new cool things added, nonetheless.
CHANGELOG FOR VERSION 5.3
-Once again re-worked environments. New textures for the campaign map, which reflects the climate of Scandinavia of the 860s, completely re-worked flora, new textures for the winter environments
-Further fixes to Formations, addition of combat AI
-Some new textures for existing items, mainly armours
-Fixed siege scenes that crashed to desktop

Hello!
Very nice work indeed.
Some thoughts...
I know it is warband thing but..
Horse tournaments are unrealistic.Vikings have not skill them.
City of Nidaros(now Trondheim)
Legendaric Jomsviking base at Wollin island at Baltic Sea.
City named Lahti in Finland should be Teljä.Rikyanaborg should be Hakoinen.
All castles in Finland should be made by wood.No stone castles in Finland those times.
There are many others town and city names in Finland which are not correct but anyway...
Most impressing work there are wearings,armor and armaments.
Also floras and atmosphere are really good.
Keep up the good work!

Hi! Thanks for the suggestions. If you want, you can join the Discord server (https://discord.gg/NZjyg7m).
Now, to answer you:
-Yes, tournaments are highly unrealistic for this age, but I don't really know what to do with them, tbh. Suggestions welcome.
-
City of Nidaros(now Trondheim)
What do you mean?
-Jomsviking headquarters changed, and also the mercenary system, as a whole has been overhauled. Now, Jomsviking have their base, Jomsborg and in taverns, the player can hire more "regular" troops.
-Thanks for the map suggestions. I need research, if you like and have good sources, tell me what you find is wrong.
-Also, I want to overhaul Finnmark, as part of that faction is in Finland and part is in Northern Baltic. So, research is welcome.
:grin:

Hi!
I have excellent sources those Finnish castles and towns.
I send them later.
But i have only info by Finnish.(some reasons!)?

Wikipedia source:___Luettelo Suomen muinaislinnoista.
I hope there are translator somewhere?

Now we can see that Finland has no castles at all.Biggest were hill-forts strenghtened wooden palisades.May be impossible make quite right in Warband?:roll:

Back
Top Bottom