SP Dark Ages The Sword And The Axe

Users who are viewing this thread

Tigaru98 said:
I know I might be a bit annoying right now  :oops: but I have one more last thing to ask from you.

In the Mount&Blade Warband\Modules\The Sword and the Axe\Music there is a song called lords_hall_khergit. I mean it is not it's real name, but I would really like to know it's name.  :cry:

I would really appreciate if you could give me the name of it.

Respect for ya!  :fruity:
One of the songs is the opening song for the TV show Vikings.

Yeah, but it will have to wait. I am doing a far bigger project(I think I have mentioned it to you?) and also, there's a discussion going on with the Europe 1200 team to continue the mod together. I will work on all things at the same time, but that will take time.  :smile:

Antonis said:
Well, actually, Gaul will include 4 tribes: The Aedui, the Avernii, the Armoricanii and the Transalpine Gaul(whom I forgot the name, since I am writing this from my work's computer  :razz:). 

Glad youy like the sound of it. Anyway, in some time, I will have sth good to show, so, I will make the thread.

Alright checking in boss, how's the Sword and Axe doing now? And hows the other mod you've been working on?

Well, I took a little break from modding. I am working on two projects, Sword and Axeand Conquestum et Sanguinem simultaneously, but slower and only when I have time.  :smile:

Thank you! Version 3 will be completely different though, only the map and the lord's names will be the same. Changes have been done in most of the items, the troops are completely changed. I read some books on the subject and watched a series of various  lectures from professors on YouTube, I like them very much(like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKCB_SjIs_g) and I found them very useful. Also, a great forumite, Urgrevling sent me some info on various subjects, such as the petty kingdoms, which I used in the new version.

Now, the troops are mostly relying on spearmen and light to medium armoured units, with only one or two 'unique' units. Horses have been moulded to more realistic standards, a saddle doesn't justify a good armour rating and also, they are very vulnerable to spears and only available to noblemen. A lot of things remain to be done yet, but we will be there, too.  :smile:

wow, that's impressive! I am looking forward even more now to your next version.

Thanks for the link...I am pretty sure I have that book from the lecture somewhere but seeing the vid will be very interesting. (concealed axe law, ha).

Lightly armored troops (to medium, of course) sound totally awesome. I love lower-tier armor variations in game. For some reason, I get a real kick out of them and can never find enough hats and coats and tunics and gambesons and jerkins to suit me. :smile:

Yeah, as it turns out, metal was pretty rare as a means of armour at the time(meaning full mail armour for all the troops and such). I also hope I stayed clear of the leathery Hollywoodian Viking, too.  :smile:

Well, currently, my time is quite limited as it is. Whenever I have some to spare, usually the weekends, I progress in what I'm feeling like doing, Ancient times, medieval or Dark Ages.  :smile:

Heh, yes, I am keeping them and also added a couple more authentic looking throwing spears. As a role-play option, I am thinking of implementing a class system, in which in the starting menu the player chooses favourite weapons, type of armour(light, medium or heavy) and also style of fighting(two-handed, one-handed, ranged etc.) and receives bonus points and items according to the choices. Or, make it a  bit more sandbox in nature and give all of the the same items and money, same weapon proficiencies and only different skills, like they are just different characters but in the same starting position. I haven't yet decided.

Also, following a discussion in ModDb, I decided to do something about the spearmen and their uselessness. Just implementing formations isn't enough, they are still useless, as I found out. I have to research to find out if the various armies of the time used the bracing spears technique or if that is a later addition to battle tactics. I am thinking of adding different bonuses to weapons, which is quick and easy and will affect positively the whole system. For example, axes+bonus against shield or +crush through armour, swords+extra penetration damage, same with spears and such. That is something good anyway, I think.

Finally, the weekend, I found some time, I read a book trilogy about Vikings(Tim Severin's) and got inspired and worked on the mod. Now, these things remain:

-Some small additions and fixes to the Module System
-A couple of minor features I'll add(like party renaming)
-The troop trees to materialize(I have most of them on paper, but not in the game file)
-Dialogs. That one is really tiring, for me and having not heard from EternalPaladin for about a year, I'll have to do it alone, probably. I hope the dialogs are as good as hers, though, I am not very talented in that area.  :smile:
-Scenes. Dykjozo, an awesome dude is working on some scenes, his only flaw is that he makes gigantic scenes( :razz:) with lots of details and accuracy to real forts.

And that's about it. I cannot promise a release date, I have the time to only work during weekends seriously, but it's certainly nearer than expected.  :smile:

I have been tinkering with ways to make spears more effective and think I have made some progress.

First, I incorporated Sahran's two-strike spear animation along with Papa Lazarou's combat enhancement animations.

In my current work version of my mod, I boosted the pierced damage done by the spears by about 5 points and made the blunt damage match.  Soldiers equipped with shield and spear will use the underhand and overhand animation instead of swinging the spear.  I also made changes to the module_troops file so that I could boost the pole-arm proficiencies of all the troops.  For example, for infantry, I used the function wp_melee (x) to set their proficiencies for 1-handed, 2-handed, and pole-arm.  I changed the function for wp_melee so that one-handed would do x +20 damage, 2-handed would do x damage and pole-arms would do x+30 damage.  In my testing, spears seem to be more effective.  I have lost a lot more horses and the spears are making good strikes against me when I am on-foot. I might go ahead and boost spears to x +50 to see what happens.

Very interesting. Setting the wp_melee to very high values will make the spears quite op, but it is a very good idea and I'll try it. The new animations, too. However, I was(and still am) looking for a change in a script, a battle tactic, if you will. I have seen the formation of the shield-wall around, but, to be honest, it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.  :smile:

WizardOfAtlantis said:
Yes, I can attest to Redleg's changes to spears having made those troops much more viable. I don't think it's made them, in his mod, OP, but it does let them stand on their feet.

Wizard,
Thanks for the feedback.

In version 1 of my mod, which you have, the spears proficiencies were just x +10.  In the version I am currently working on, the spears are x +30 and the results are pretty promising. 

I'll try not to hi-jack any more of Antonis' thread!

Antonis, have you looked at the formations used in Brytenwalda?  Would they be approriate for your viking mod?

No, no, you don't hijack anything man, don't worry. It's a pleasure talking to you and I really appreciate the help and suggestions.  :smile:
I played Brytenwalda for years and that was the shield-wall formation I was referring to, earlier. But what it does, from what I understood, is just make the troops stand closer, in a pre-scripted manner, like troop 1 in position x etc. I was thinking something more in the lines of weapon proficiency and efficiency and usage. Maybe it's the way you say, by modifying the melee function. I'll take a look in the weekend, test it a bit, but it may very well be so, your mod is excellent and you know what you're doing.  :smile:

Ok, after some time, I have an update.  :party:
Just finished with the mod's new troops. Now, only the dialogs and some tidying up remains before release. Some of the things the new version will contain:

-Completely new troop trees, more accurate. I have given the focus to spearmen as the main infantry unit and archers for ranged. One faction only has pretty good riders, another some light scouts and that's it for cavalry. Also, most of the troops are equipped with spangen helms, not any more with vendels, which, as much as I liked weren't worn by everyone. Apart from spearmen and archers, each faction/kingdom has special units. Those include swordsmen, frakka throwers(javelineers, essentially), axemen and such. Also, wholly mail and scale armours is VERY rare in the troops, most use leather, fabric, coats and light lamellar leather at most. Only some elite troops and the Jarls have mail armour.
-Horses completely changed. Now, horses with only a saddle have no armour rating and the horses have reduced speed, mobility and hit points, not being the super-beasts they were. I tested that and it works very well, in terms of balance, especially with the new light armoured infantry. 
-All the features reported in our Steam mod page, mainly added by Theoren.
-Some new buildings for construction(that's 80% percent to be present, but not 100%).
-Hopefully monasteries to plunder. I say hopefully, because I have made the code, I tested it in Native, but it still gives me some errors and CTDs. I have to find what's wrong there.

Back
Top Bottom