SP Dark Ages The Sword And The Axe

Users who are viewing this thread

Tybalt_ said:
Will there be few and very expensive Ulfberht swords around the world?

As I saw in Wipikedia(I don't know if it's true), these sword hadn't been used until the 1000's. The mod takes place in 860AD, so...I'm afraid they won't be seen here. Perhaps in a future submod. :wink:

EDIT: No, actually, scratch that. They were used (I read it just now). Perhaps I will make something like a treasure hunt, but for an expensive sword.

Also, progress has beed update(in the first post)

Well, if we're gonna follow the wikipedia it also says;

2e5uovb.jpg

But here's also a very interesting video about it that shows the full history of it:

I'm not sure if it's hard to implent i'm very noobish at modding. Would be fun to see them ingame maybe quest related? :razz:

EDIT: Oh, you got to me :razz:

Tybalt_ said:
But here's also a very interesting video about it that shows the full history of it:

I'm not sure if it's hard to implent i'm very noobish at modding. Would be fun to see them ingame maybe quest related? :razz:

EDIT: Oh, you got to me :razz:

Heh! Nevermind, at least I learned sth and had a chance to see this interesting documentary. I will watch it to see if I can find sth relevant to the mod. Thanks!

No problem, if you want help with anything you can ask me, i'm very devoted  :razz:

Well, since you offered, I always need help with research and especially with the names of real life Warlords and Kings. Now, Backstay offered me some good help with names of relevant Kings and lords, but they are mainly from Denmark. So if you can find anything solid(becasue I don't have access to more credible sources than Wikipedia :razz:) about lords of Norway or Sweden, I would be grateful. Also, if you decide to help, send me a PM. Thanks anyway!

Awesome, a viking mod! I'll definitely be looking forward to this.

Also, I agree with most in that raiders should be mercenaries. And I like the idea of having some rare and expensive items based on what the wealthiest of vikings would have at the time.

So...progress updated(you can check the 1st post). Basically, all the banners are ready, music and sound overhaul is complete and half the scenes are done. When I finish with the troops and the lords and tweak a few things here and there, I will release a first version. That would be the other week, probably.

Why, this info is indeed helpful. In a future(2nd or 3rd) version I am planning to add a Rus faction, since I have the upper part of Russia on the map. Sadly, the area you suggest is lower, but I suppose I can make a planned historical error. :wink:

Hmm, just a suggestion. Having varangians as a faction would be kinda weird interfering in wars etc. In my opinion, try to implement a system which could work as Sword and Damocles?

Maybe hire them for quite a big sum of money? It's probably hard coded but perhaps Sword of Damocles mod team could share the wisdom :razz:

Yes but Computica (Modleader) are redoing the mod from scratch and as far as i know he havent gotten to that very feature.

Ok, I have finished the troop trees, mercenaries andminor factions. The results of the poll that most of you voted that raiders should be mercenaries. But close to an equal number voted them to be faction specific units. So, to satisfy eveyone, since it was so close, I made them both. So, now you can purchase mercenaries such as Jomsvikings or Raiders from taverns, while there are top tier units in some of the factions that are Raiders(such as the Dane Raiders). Most of the troops are infantry, but some factions have cavalry. These units are not very good against heavy infantry or spearmen and can be used fro scouting, flanking and manoevering.
  Now, the bandits of the game received a makeover and also, I added a quite different type of mercenary. Horse archers. Yeah, I know, that's not very consistent with the Viking theme, but 1)the mod is not historical and 2)I like the idea of steppe riders coming to serve as mercenaries from the depths of the Russian steppe(besides, the map features a piece of Russia, so...). Anyway, they are lightly armoured, agile and deadly on the saddle, but not for infantry battles or sieges.
  Finally, I started working on the Kings and Lords. I've finished the Kings, who have unique equipment and I have started with the Lords. I have done two of the sic factions of the game, so the end is very near.

Stay tuned and thanks!

Hey first you mod looks awesome and cool and I like how you are doing it and the features a epic too.So my questions are:
How will by the stats for the berserkers?
Will the have pelts on the backs xD?
Can the player go berserk?
Will the berseker upgrade to warlords(I hope not)?

Hey, thanks. Now to answer you questions:
- The berserkers are just soldiers, but battle hardened. They bleed and die, but are tough as hell
-No, the won't have any pelts or any animalistic clothing(sorry :sad:)
-Well, technically yes. If you want to experience battle craziness, throw your shield and charge with a kitchen knife towards a fully armoured war machine(aka Thegn). Solid plan! :lol:
-Of course NOT. Berserkers are soldiers. Warlords are the noble blood, who command the soldiers. Although, if you like to RP, you can imagine you are a soldier, who through noble and heroic deeds arises to nobility and then kingship. It's up t you, really.
I hope I answered you questions(?), friend. Also, people, as of now, first version is uploaded. Everything is there, with the exception of the new scenes. The mod is fully playable as it is and if I waited until I had those scenes, I would delay the mod for about a year or so. So, go grab it! The link is from Mediafire and soon a ModDB one will follow!

Back
Top Bottom