Ukraine Today

Users who are viewing this thread

Weaver said:
I (and Huntington) would argue that in the modern world we have much more massive and compelling rallying points than ethnic identity both on global and national levels.
Which would that be? Norms and values? Do they not also rest on identity (not just ethnic)? Would you say they matter more to military spending than nationalism? What do you think about the lack of military forces in the EU?

Radalan said:
Well no, I'm not suggesting that volunteering to fight a war and having to defend what is yours are the same thing.
If no one in Eastern Ukraine had volunteered to fight against their western counterparts, there wouldn't be a civil war, now would there?
That is a very different sentiment to the one I reacted to.
The grunts on the Novorussian/Rebel side would say the exact same thing about the Ukrainians, mind you.

What you are against then, I would say is an offensive war, rather than a defensive one. One in which the state or armed force which one volunteered for would be the initiator of the conflict.

The question there arises on a conflict by conflict basis: Who started the ****/Who is in the wrong?
Which is a reasonable position, I think. You must always question the value of a war.

Radalan said:
If no one in Eastern Ukraine had volunteered to fight against their western counterparts, there wouldn't be a civil war, now would there?

There would still be Russian agents provocateurs whose residence changed from Moscow to Donetsk suspiciously close to the outbreak of hostilities.

Duh said:
Which would that be? Norms and values? Do they not also rest on identity (not just ethnic)?
In Eastern Europe we're mostly dealing with ideological and cultural identity. It's been like that for a while now.
Duh said:
Would you say they matter more to military spending than nationalism?
The only factor that is actually contributing to an increase in military spending is that we've got an actual armed conflict in the country and there's still fear of a another Russian military invasion.
Duh said:
What do you think about the lack of military forces in the EU?
I think EU is ****ed and military forces would not be of much help because its problems mostly come from within.

He explained that the pro-Russian separatists have built a copy of the Russian oligarchic system, and consequently there is no power for the people, which is what the masses rallied for in the spring of 2014

Why is this guy a Russian ultranationalist?

Is the question based on the assumption that "ultra-nationalists" are pro-establishment and big business (which most are not), or that Strelkov should've known better than to trust his fellow agents with any kind of ideology purity?

There is a streak of Russian ultranationalists who hate Putin and his oligarch cronies. You can recognize one by icons of several Russian tsars hanging over his bed and a tome of Mein Kampf under his pillow.
Not to mention Strelkov is still butthurt about being played by Kremlin like a boy and then tossed aside.

One of the Lugansk militia officers responsible for Savchenko's capture and handing over to Russia has come forward (though only through his callsign and not his real name) that the trial of Savchenko is farcical and that, while he holds her personally responsible for the death of the two journalists, he challenges the assertion that she illegally crossed the Ukrainian-Russian border of her own will. He's also upset that the investigators describe the battlefield so poorly and did not approach him for a statement.

The commander called "Ilim" is believed by "Peacekeeper" to be Andrey Tikhonov, a Ukrainian citizen from Kharkov, and spoke to a reporter from Meduza, which is a Russian-language news site based in Riga, Latvia. This kind of interview would not be published in Russia.

Meduza's article in English: https://meduza.io/en/feature/2016/03/30/i-captured-her-and-personally-handed-her-over
-- and in Russian: https://meduza.io/feature/2016/03/21/ya-ee-vzyal-i-lichno-peredal-plotnitskomu

Peacemaker's database entry on Tikhonov: https://psb4ukr.org/criminal/tixonov-andrej-valentinovich/

Thanks Ukraine. For remembering the Turks and not forgetting your kitchen language.

The Turkic part translates to English as:

I could not live my youth to the full.
I did not get old in this place.

Úlfheðinn said:
I think the only thing I found good about that song or the Eurovision contest was that Russian didn't win and that Russians got pissed off at not winning.

I have many Russian friends who are aware of what their governments did in the past and still doing even today. Many are happy that Russia did not win.

Yeah, I'm not implying all Russians are drunk with nationalism.  :razz:

The saddest thing is listening to the average Russians that are tired of all the things that are wrong with their country (mostly related to corruption and the government) but also see that things aren't changing any time soon.

ancalimon said:
Úlfheðinn said:
I think the only thing I found good about that song or the Eurovision contest was that Russian didn't win and that Russians got pissed off at not winning.

I have many Russian friends who are aware of what their governments did in the past and still doing even today. Many are happy that Russia did not win.
So they want their country to lose a stupid song contest because they dislike the government?  :lol:

Back
Top Bottom