Ukraine Today

Users who are viewing this thread

Radalan said:
I don't think the palms of your hands are enough to support your weight if you're crucified.
I suppose you'd be surprised then, as many have been crucified over history and I don't recall any accounts of them commonly following off the crucifix. Though I do believe traditionally the nails are inserted just above the wrist and not the palm.

This does not bode well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/world/europe/ukraine.html?ref=europe said:
KIEV, Ukraine — The Ukrainian Ministry of Defense, after months of neutrality in the country’s civil unrest, published a statement on Friday that censured antigovernment demonstrators for occupying public buildings and raised the specter of military intervention, even though it did not endorse any role for troops in dispersing protesters.

The statement, addressed to President Viktor F. Yanukovych and expressing support for his efforts to resolve the crisis, said, “Servicemen and Interior Ministry troops of Ukraine called the forceful seizure of government buildings unacceptable.” It also said that the protesters were preventing state agencies and local governments from fulfilling their obligations and that any escalation in the conflict “threatens the territorial integrity of the state.”

In another sign of a possible role for the military in suppressing the civil uprising here, a former defense minister, Anatoly Hrytsenko, who is now a member of Parliament in the opposition Fatherland party, said military officers had been asked to either sign a pledge supporting Mr. Yanukovych as commander in chief or resign.

Members of various anti-government paramilitary groups gather at Independence Square during a show of force in Kiev, January 29, 2014. Credit: Reuters/Thomas Peter
r

Dodes said:
Radalan said:
I don't think the palms of your hands are enough to support your weight if you're crucified.
I suppose you'd be surprised then, as many have been crucified over history and I don't recall any accounts of them commonly following off the crucifix. Though I do believe traditionally the nails are inserted just above the wrist and not the palm.

As far as I know they were inserted below the wrist because the nail would be then supported by the two bones on either side of it.
Which is why I don't think your palms are enough to support the weight of your body. Which is also why you probably can't recall any incidents of people falling of the cross.

That would be kind of awkward...
"Ugh. Put him back up there again, Marcus. For the love of Jupiter, isn't there a better way to do this than through the hand?"

I believe the bottom left one has the orange being those that voted against Yanukovych, seeing as both the blue and orange is marked as Viktor Yanukovych. Where as in the bottom right, the yellow is marked as an opposing candidate of Yanukovych and the blue is marked as votes for Yanukovych.

This is just a random guess, but I would speculate that in Ukraine for 2004 and other consecutive years, the current political leader has to be voted out before a new candidate can be up for nomination.

Dodes said:
I believe the bottom left one has the orange being those that voted against Yanukovych, seeing as both the blue and orange is marked as Viktor Yanukovych.
Read again. It's Yanukovych and Yushenko.
The latter has been in prison for quite a while now if memory serves. On hunger strike to get treatment for a some back ailment and all that fun stuff

Correction to my last part. Yushenko is the dude that someone tried to poison and who now has that disfigured face, I was thinking of that woman. Timosomething.

Yushchenko (the guy with the weird face, former president) is not in prison. Tymoshenko (the blonde woman, former PM) is.

Edit: Or nevermind.

I don't understand what the mirrors are for. Are they hoping to be protected by the fear of breaking a mirror because it's supposed to bring seven years of bad luck?

It's to identify the vampires among the ranks of the riot police. We all know that they are the real enemy behind the government.

Splintert said:
Probably trying to demoralize the police forces by showing them the fear in their faces - look at the first image especially.
I doubt it. I'd say they're trying to demoralize the police forces by forcing them to think about how they are behaving, get them to engage in a little introspection, maybe a little doubt or regret. These are old women peacefully protesting, I doubt they are going to be instilling much fear into the hearts of the police.

Dodes said:
These are some images that I think are really profound.

tumblr_n04p7hL0vE1ru0l68o1_500.jpg

1388430961-ukrainians-stage-mirror-protest-to-mark-anniversary-of-eu-rally_3584033.jpg

Ukraine-mirror-protest2.jpg

Every once in a while, when the blue moon appears, protesters actually come up with a innovative way to protest.

The idea seems to be "take a good long look at what you are", now this may not have a major effect on the police but it could very well unnerve a few.

I see this as a psychological attack, rather than a proper protest.

Edit: Damn ninja

Back
Top Bottom