If you're having ping issues on Hildileikr

Users who are viewing this thread

hrotha

Grandmaster Knight
For the past few months, a not insignificant number of players have been experiencing ping issues on Hildileikr. Typically, what happens is that they'll have abnormally high pings (from 70-90 to 160-300 in my case) for long periods of time. These aren't ping spikes: once they occur, they can last for hours. All players invariably report that when this happens their ping is normal in every other server, including other Víkingr servers. Bandwidth usage stays normal, too, so no one is downloading or watching anything.

A while ago I contacted JestServers and this is what they said:
From what we've seen, any client taking a route with bboi.net (a provider around EU/West Coast) is having issues, including some in Germany.
Other providers are affected, but most aren't in the Netherlands area (or none other than us I think).
What would be really useful in that case, would be doing a WinMTR to another server not having the issue(another provider perhaps) but in the same geographical location.
With that, we can see which outbound patch your ISP has you take to that server and show it to our datacenter to contact your ISP about the issue(it's their policy to always have the lowest latency which I pay extra for).
Generally though servers in the same location even in different datacenters will all be higher in latency (congestion to that area perhaps) while other servers will ping normal (For example 198.12.64.27 is New York City, but I bet during that time you'd ping equal to or less than your increased latency to NL which would make the congested spot stand out even more).
Though my friend plays Warband still and has yet to come across the problem in NL (they live closer though)
To be honest, I have no idea what I just quoted.

If you're having this issue, it would help if you could download WinMTR and get a log on Hildileikr at a time you're experiencing a high ping bout and on another server from the same general area (Netherlands ideally). In order to do that, you need to know the IP of both Hildileikr (213.163.83.191) and that other server, and JestServers needs yours (which you can PM to me together with your WinMTR logs). Then I'll put together a kind of dossier and raise the issue with JestServers again.

Thing is, does anybody know of any other Dutch servers?

Thanks for your cooperation.

I couldn't even find the server just now. I noticed via the banner that there were four people on, but when I got in game it didn't appear in my favourites, so I checked the whole internet; it appeared there (with only two) but I lose connection with the server the moment I tried ... making connection with the server.

Maybe this has to do with my fiddling with my e-protection, in which case I'm alarmist, but it seemed worth mentioning. :razz:

Back
Top Bottom