Interesting, Humourous or Just Plain Weird Primary Sources

Users who are viewing this thread

UlCdmFF.jpg

2zLTGqG.jpg

lYunpmh.jpg

Smedley Butler said:
I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.

Amazon Warriors' Names Revealed Amid "Gibberish" on Ancient Greek Vases
Translations reveal Amazons' names such as Don't Fail and Hot Flanks!

:arrow: https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/09/140923-amazon-greek-vase-translations-science/

William Longespée, 3rd Earl of Salisbury  :arrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Longesp%C3%A9e,_3rd_Earl_of_Salisbury

matmohair1 said:
thick1988 said:
Bizarrely, the well-preserved corpse of a rat which carried traces of arsenic, was found inside his skull.
The rat is now on display in a case at the Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum.
:shock: http://quigleyscabinet.blogspot.ae/2010/11/rat-bastard.html

luPklWV.jpg

medieval-rodent.jpg
2169-rat-and-fly-skull-money-bank.jpg

The Ballad of Hi Jolly  :arrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi_Jolly

CHORUS:

Hi Jolly, hey Jolly
Twenty miles today by golly
Twenty more before the morning light
High Jolly Yeah, I gotta be on my way
I told my gal I'd be home Sunday night.

VERSES:

Hi Jolly was a camel driver long time ago
Followed Mr. Blaine a way out west
Didn't mind the burnin' sand in that God-forsaken land
But he didn't mind the pretty gals the best

They got pretty gals in Albuquerque, least that's what I've heard
Pretty gals in Tucumcari, too
Now, Honey, I ain't blind, but I don't pay 'em any mind
I'm savin' all my lovin' just for you

Old timers out in Arizona tell you that it's true
You can see Hi Jolly's ghost a-travelin' still
When that desert moon is bright he comes ridin' through the night
Leadin' four-and-twenty camels 'cross the hill

Randy Sparks, (c) 1963 Cherrybell Music Publishing Company.

United States Camel Corps  :arrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Camel_Corps

XZAlmVq.jpg

US_Camel_Corps_State_Historical_Marker.jpg

lV3yo0H.jpg

2WNqTam.jpg

"Once, insulted because he had not been invited to a German picnic in Los Angeles,
he broke up the gathering by driving into it on a yellow cart pulled by two of his pet camels!"

Theon, an Angry Boy from Roman Egypt

Theon to his father: Theon greetings. It was so nice of you not to take me with you to the city. If you refuse to take me with you to Alexandria I won’t write you a letter or speak to you or wish you good health. So, if you go to Alexandria I won’t take your hand or greet you ever again. If you refuse to take me, this is what will happen. And my mother said to Archelaos that he is upsetting me, take him away! It was so nice of you, sending me these great presents, just rubbish. They put me off the track on the 12th, the day when you sailed. Well then, send for me, I beg you. If you don’t, I won’t eat, I won’t drink; there! I pray for your health. Tybi 18th.

Deliver to Theon from Theonas his son.

What a twat. The article explains that his grammar was quite bad, but also that he deftly imitates the common style of letters between adults (as seen below)

A Real Letter from a Roman Soldier

Apion to  his father and lord Epimachos: Many good wishes!
First of all I hope you are in good health and that things are going well for you and my sister and her daughter and my brother.  I thank the Lord Serapis [an Egyptian god] for saving me right off when I was in danger at sea.
When I arrived at Misenum [the Roman war harbor, near Naples], I received three gold pieces from the Emperor [Trajan?] as road money, and I’m doing just fine.
Please write me a line, my lord father, about your own well-being, second about that of my brother and sister, and third so that I may devotedly greet your hand, because you brought me up well and I may therefore hope for rapid promotion, the gods willing. Give my regards to Capiton [some friend] and my brother and sister and Serenilla [a family slave?] and my friends. I’m sending you my little  portrait through Euktemon. My [new]Roman name is Antonius Maximus.
All my best!

Interesting that he mentions the sending of portraits. This is of course the same period and location as the fayum portraits, so perhaps there were far more of these than we are commonly familiar with. Also quite interesting that he mentions his new roman name with pride, and harkens to an Egyptian God. He was probably a Greek born in Egypt

That's pretty great. There were a lot of changes going on in Greek at that time so you see a lot of mistakes. Sometimes you can see where somebody, maybe a schoolmaster or the scribe himself, has made corrections.

Those letters are extremely interesting Jakub I want more. Its absolutely fascinating to see a common familial relationship in words from Antiquity. The respect for his Pater Familias is pretty intense.

Hence why I started this thread. Day to day life is way way wya wya wyswysgs way more interesting than the state-level great-men geopolitics that most people think history is all about. It's so easy to fall into the mindset where you assume nobody before 1900 was a real person.

Epitaph on a grave:

Finaliter careo podagra

"At last I'm rid of my gout. "

ok, to be honest, my Latin teacher's Latin teacher probably made that up. Good story though.

A Tale of Two Ports....

bRkB8LI.png

Ormuz :arrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ormus

"The merchants of this isle and city are Persians and Arabs. The Persians (speak Arabic and another language which they call Psa), are tall and well-looking, and a fine and up-standing folk, both men and women; they are stout and comfortable. They hold the creed of Mafamede (Muhammad) in great honour. They indulge themselves greatly, so much so that they keep among them youths for the purpose of abominable wickedness. They are musicians, and have instruments of diverse kinds. The Arabs are blacker and swarthier than they."

The Book of Duarte Barbosa: An Account of the Countries Bordering on the Indian Ocean and their inhabitants,
written by Duarte Barbosa and completed about the year 1518 AD, 1812 translation by the Royal Academy of Sciences Lisbon,
Asian Educational Services 2005

"Its moral state was enormously and infamously bad. It was the home of the foulest sensuality, and of all the most corrupted forms of every religion in the East. The Christians were as bad as the rest in the extreme license of their lives. There were few priests, but they were a disgrace to their name. The Arabs and the Persians had introduced and made common the most detestable forms of vice. Ormuz was said to be a Babel for its confusion of tongues, and for its moral abominations to match the cities of the Plain. A lawful marriage was a rare exception. Foreigners, soldiers and merchants, threw off all restraint in the indulgence of their passions ... Avarice was made a science: it was studied and practiced, not for gain, but for its own sake, and for the pleasure of cheating. Evil had become good, and it was thought good trade to break promises and think nothing of engagements ..."

Francis Xavier, Henry James Coleridge, The Life and Letters of St. Francis Xavier 1506-1556, Asian Educational Services 1997 Edition p 104–105

"High on a Throne of Royal State, which far
Outshon the wealth of Ormus and of Ind,
Or where the gorgeous East with richest hand
Showrs on her Kings Barbaric Pearl and Gold,
Satan exalted sat, by merit rais'd
"

John Milton's Paradise Lost - 1667 (Book II, lines 1–5)

Tamerlane The Terrible - Capture of Ormuz - Look and Learn issue no 736 (21 Februaru 1976) by C L Doughty

s2QbfnR.jpg

cR115jR.jpg

Port Royal :arrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Royal

The parrots of Port Royal gather to drink from the large stocks of ale with
just as much alacrity as the drunks that frequent the taverns that serve it
.”

Jan van Riebeeck (1619 – 1677) Dutch navigator and colonial administrator

"Wine and women drained their wealth to such a degree that […] some of them (the buccaneers?) became reduced to beggary.
They have been known to spend 2 or 3,000 pieces of eight in one night; and one gave a strumpet 500 to see her naked.
They used to buy a pipe of wine, place it in the street, and oblige everyone that passed to drink.
"

Alexandre Exquemelin's History of the Bouccaneers of America - 1678

"'This town is the Sodom of the new World and since the majority of its population consists of pirates, cut-throats, whores
and some of the vilest persons in the whole of the world, I felt my permanence there was of no use.
"

Seventeenth century clergyman returning to England on the same ship as he sailed out on!

Morgan's Buccaneers in Port Royal in 1668 - Buccaneers 1620-1700 by Angus Konstam, illustrated by Angus McBridge

oehK4eY.jpg

Last edited:
http://bestiary.ca/beasts/beastalphashort.htm
J0N5ikQ.jpg
Isidore of Seville said:
The beavers (castor) is so named from being castrated. Beavers are hunted for their testicles, which are good for medicine; when a hunter comes near they bite off their testicles to save themselves. Beavers are also called Pontic dogs.

Isidore of Seville said:
The panther (pantera) takes its name from the Greek word for "all" (pan), because the panther is the friend of all beasts other than the dragon. They are covered with black and white circles that look like eyes. Female panthers can only give birth once, because the cubs, in their eagerness to escape the womb, tear at their mother with their claws so she can no longer conceive.
4qePWBL.jpg
Isidore of Seville said:
Spiders are worms of the air and get their food from the air. From their body they produce a long thread and they never stop working, but are always kept hanging by their art.
dWKmzKw.jpg
Isidore of Seville said:
There are several kinds of owl. The screech owl (bubo) takes its name from the sound of its voice; it is a deadly bird, burdened with feathers and with a heavy laziness. It lives in caves and wanders in tombs day and night. The night-owl (noctua) is is smaller than the bubo it flies by night and cannot see during the day, because the brightness of the sun blinds it. It does not live on the island of Crete, and if brought there it dies at once. The night raven (nycticorax) loves the night and cannot stand the sight of the sun. Another kind of screech owl (strix) has its name from its strident (stridet) call. It is also called by the Greek word amma (nurse) because it loves (amando) infants and is said to offer milk to the newborn..
Yf65o.jpg

Bartholomeus Anglicus said:
He is a full lecherous beast in youth, swift, pliant, and merry, and leapeth and reseth on everything that is to fore him: and is led by a straw, and playeth therewith: and is a right heavy beast in age and full sleepy, and lieth slyly in wait for mice: and is aware where they be more by smell than by sight, and hunteth and reseth on them in privy places: and when he taketh a mouse, he playeth therewith, and eateth him after the play. In time of love is hard fighting for wives, and one scratcheth and rendeth the other grievously with biting and with claws. And he maketh a ruthful noise and ghastful, when one proffereth to fight with another: and unneth is hurt when he is thrown down off an high place. And when he hath a fair skin, he is as it were proud thereof, and goeth fast about: and when his skin is burnt, then he bideth at home; and is oft for his fair skin taken of the skinner, and slain and flayed.

Back
Top Bottom