Author Topic: Interesting, Humourous or Just Plain Weird Primary Sources  (Read 8727 times)

NUQAR'S Kentucky "Nuqar" James XXL

• BioAfrikaner
  • Duke
  • 🖕IF YOUR EASILY OFFENDED...GROW SOME BALLS...!!🖕
    • Twitter - yaqobhyndes
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
  • Faction: Khergit
Re: Interesting, Humourous or Just Plain Weird Primary Sources
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 01:36:40 AM »
Completely forgot about this one:

In the 1500s, during an inquisition in northern Italy, they tried this loudmouthed miller called menocchio. He owned a ton of books, and his wife accidentally spilt drink on one of them, so she put them in the oven to dry them off. They burned. A lot of peasants would have had book sharing schemes, so they could read without having to buy the same book for everyone.

Menocchio probably read into these books a bit too much, and formed this weird interpretation of christianity that's obviously influenced by his life as a miller. a record of his account during the trial says:

"I have said that, in my opinion, all was chaos, that is, earth, air, water, and fire were mixed together; and out of that bulk a mass formed – just as cheese is made out of milk – and worms appeared in it, and these were the angels. The most holy majesty decreed that these should be God and the angels, and among that number of angels there was also God, he too having been created out of that mass at the same time, and he was named lord with four captains, Lucifer, Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael. That Lucifer sought to make himself lord equal to the king, who was the majesty of God, and for this arrogance God ordered him driven out of heaven with all his host and his company; and this God later created Adam and Eve and people in great number to take the places of the angels who had been expelled. And as this multitude did not follow God's commandments, he sent his Son, whom the Jews seized, and he was crucified."

He refused to shut up even after they pardoned him, so they bought him back and burned him at the stake.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menocchio

matmohair1

• Marquis
  • LEGENDS NEVER DIE!
    • Steam - matmohair1
    • View Profile
    • Matmohair1's War Cries and Banners
  • Faction: Sarranid
  • WBM&BWF&SNWVC
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:22:11 PM by matmohair1 »

matmohair1

• Marquis
  • LEGENDS NEVER DIE!
    • Steam - matmohair1
    • View Profile
  • WBM&BWF&SNWVC
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 09:25:00 PM »
Soviet Radio Yerevan jokes...

:arrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Yerevan_jokes

:arrow: https://web.archive.org/web/20140908045019/http://www.bratislavaguide.com/radio-yerevan-jokes

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:37:56 PM by matmohair1 »

Captured Joe

• Marquis
  • The Volunteer Army marches again...
    • Steam - captured_joe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • MP nick: CapturedJoe
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 09:36:18 AM »
 :lol: Those are great!
Captured Joe is my worst fear
You could say that he finds hungarian tanks riveting.

Bluehawk Classic

• Pol Pot's Momma
  • Baron
  • Our children will never know refreshment.
    • Steam - bluehawk2008
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • WBNWWF&SVCM&B
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 08:15:37 AM »
The zoology according to 14th century Russian scribes
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Can you spot the difference?

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

matmohair1

• Marquis
  • LEGENDS NEVER DIE!
    • Steam - matmohair1
    • View Profile
  • WBM&BWF&SNWVC
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 11:26:08 AM »
 :wink: just re-uploaded and undated this post, enjoy!

:party: Hulagu's Gifts and Tributes

(click to show/hide)

National Founding Figure Respecter

• Marquis
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 04:19:59 PM »
This Athenian ritual tho:

Every year in Athens, on a day in midsummer, the Athenians performed an unuual ritual called the Bouphonia, the "murder of the ox." Even in the fifth century Athenians thought this an archaic and hoary rite, but they apparently continued to practice it for centuries, well into the second century CE at least. Because it was so odd, the ancient sources recorded many of its details.
 A group of oxen was led up to the Acropolis, and in the procession were young girls carrying water to sharpen an ax and sacrificial knife. The oxen circled Zeus' altar, and first one to taste the cake on the altar was selected as the victim. He was struck with an ax and killed by the "ox-slayer", a member of the Thaulonidae family. The ox-slayer then threw down the ax and ran away. The other participants in the ritual then butchered and skinned the animal with a sacrificial knife and feasted on the meat. This could not be the end of the ritual, however, because a "crime" had been commited -- the ox had been "murdered." A formal ritual was held in a special court in Athens, and since the "ox-slayer" himself had fled, the girls who brought the water for sharpening the knife and ax were charged with the "murder." In their defense they claimed that those who actually sharpened the ax and knife were more responsible. The sharpeners in turn charged the man who gave them the ax and knife, and he charged the butcher. But the butcher claimed the knife was more guilty, and, since the knife could say nothing in its defense, it was found guilty of the murder. The knife was then banished by being thrown into the sea. To conclude this bizarre ritual, back on the Acropolis the skin of the ox was stuffed, stood up, and harnessed to a plow, restoring it, as it were, to its pre-sacrificial condition.

Not a primary source though, please forgive me.

National Founding Figure Respecter

• Marquis
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 01:42:27 PM »
Quote from: Babylonian Talmud: Baba Mezi'a 59
We learnt elsewhere: If he cut it into separate tiles, placing sand between each tile: R. Eliezer declared it clean, and the Sages declared it unclean; and this was the oven of 'Aknai.1  Why [the oven of] 'Aknai? — Said Rab Judah in Samuel's name: [It means] that they encompassed it with arguments2  as a snake, and proved it unclean. It has been taught: On that day R. Eliezer brought forward every imaginable argument,3  but they did not accept them. Said he to them: 'If the halachah agrees with me, let this carob-tree prove it!' Thereupon the carob-tree was torn a hundred cubits out of its place — others affirm, four hundred cubits. 'No proof can be brought from a carob-tree,' they retorted. Again he said to them: 'If the halachah agrees with me, let the stream of water prove it!' Whereupon the stream of water flowed backwards — 'No proof can be brought from a stream of water,' they rejoined. Again he urged: 'If the halachah agrees with me, let the walls of the schoolhouse prove it,' whereupon the walls inclined to fall. But R. Joshua rebuked them, saying: 'When scholars are engaged in a halachic dispute, what have ye to interfere?' Hence they did not fall, in honour of R. Joshua, nor did they resume the upright, in honour of R. Eliezer; and they are still standing thus inclined. Again he said to them: 'If the halachah agrees with me, let it be proved from Heaven!' Whereupon a Heavenly Voice cried out: 'Why do ye dispute with R. Eliezer, seeing that in all matters the halachah agrees with him!' But R. Joshua arose and exclaimed: 'It is not in heaven.'4  What did he mean by this? — Said R. Jeremiah: That the Torah had already been given at Mount Sinai; we pay no attention to a Heavenly Voice, because Thou hast long since written in the Torah at Mount Sinai, After the majority must one incline.5

R. Nathan met Elijah6  and asked him: What did the Holy One, Blessed be He, do in that hour? — He laughed [with joy], he replied, saying, 'My sons have defeated Me, My sons have defeated Me.'

Short version: Rabbis can't agree on a matter of faith, Rabbi calls in God to decide, God doesn't agree with him so the Rabbi successfully argues against God.

Ililsa

• Master Knight
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Ililsa
  • M&BWBNW
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 09:55:50 PM »
This German (maybe from a bitter Austrian) chart of European stereotypes circa 1720.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Bluehawk Classic

• Pol Pot's Momma
  • Baron
    • Steam - bluehawk2008
    • View Profile
  • WBNWWF&SVCM&B
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 10:03:57 PM »
Why would the French love war when they always lose?

*takes a bow*

• BioAfrikaner
  • Duke
    • Twitter - yaqobhyndes
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 10:04:14 PM »
It's so butthurt, is it mostly a joke? The "invincible" bit for germans seems that little bit too over the top.

Feragorn

• Catoscist
  • Marquis
  • Pointy Hat Man
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Hoboknight_Feragorn
  • M&BWBNW
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 10:26:56 PM »
Quote from: Babylonian Talmud: Baba Mezi'a 59
We learnt elsewhere: If he cut it into separate tiles, placing sand between each tile: R. Eliezer declared it clean, and the Sages declared it unclean; and this was the oven of 'Aknai.1  Why [the oven of] 'Aknai? — Said Rab Judah in Samuel's name: [It means] that they encompassed it with arguments2  as a snake, and proved it unclean. It has been taught: On that day R. Eliezer brought forward every imaginable argument,3  but they did not accept them. Said he to them: 'If the halachah agrees with me, let this carob-tree prove it!' Thereupon the carob-tree was torn a hundred cubits out of its place — others affirm, four hundred cubits. 'No proof can be brought from a carob-tree,' they retorted. Again he said to them: 'If the halachah agrees with me, let the stream of water prove it!' Whereupon the stream of water flowed backwards — 'No proof can be brought from a stream of water,' they rejoined. Again he urged: 'If the halachah agrees with me, let the walls of the schoolhouse prove it,' whereupon the walls inclined to fall. But R. Joshua rebuked them, saying: 'When scholars are engaged in a halachic dispute, what have ye to interfere?' Hence they did not fall, in honour of R. Joshua, nor did they resume the upright, in honour of R. Eliezer; and they are still standing thus inclined. Again he said to them: 'If the halachah agrees with me, let it be proved from Heaven!' Whereupon a Heavenly Voice cried out: 'Why do ye dispute with R. Eliezer, seeing that in all matters the halachah agrees with him!' But R. Joshua arose and exclaimed: 'It is not in heaven.'4  What did he mean by this? — Said R. Jeremiah: That the Torah had already been given at Mount Sinai; we pay no attention to a Heavenly Voice, because Thou hast long since written in the Torah at Mount Sinai, After the majority must one incline.5

R. Nathan met Elijah6  and asked him: What did the Holy One, Blessed be He, do in that hour? — He laughed [with joy], he replied, saying, 'My sons have defeated Me, My sons have defeated Me.'

Short version: Rabbis can't agree on a matter of faith, Rabbi calls in God to decide, God doesn't agree with him so the Rabbi successfully argues against God.

You missed the best part. Rabbi Eliezer, the guy who G-d agreed with in that story, later relates that he had studied three thousand ways of planting and harvesting cucumbers by magic.
Along with your mom 7 other women of your family **** me and I dont clean my ass.
**** you, just because you work for NASA it doesn't mean that you know any more about NASA space programs than the journalists of that hungarian ufo magazine.

Ililsa

• Master Knight
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Ililsa
  • M&BWBNW
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 10:44:01 PM »
Why would the French love war when they always lose?

*takes a bow*

Why does Skeletor think fighting is fun when He-Man always beats him?

• BioAfrikaner
  • Duke
    • Twitter - yaqobhyndes
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 10:45:58 PM »
Because that show is a thinly veiled metaphor for a gay BDSM relationship.

Bluehawk Classic

• Pol Pot's Momma
  • Baron
    • Steam - bluehawk2008
    • View Profile
  • WBNWWF&SVCM&B
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 10:51:20 PM »
Its working title was "The Animated Adventures of Tom of Finland"