Warband Save Tool (WBST) - alpha update #5, 2/23/2014

Users who are viewing this thread

wbst

Recruit
Warband Save Tool - Alpha
Download

2/23/2014: Alpha update #5. Hero troops can be renamed, the index numbers are shown for globals again, can edit player info (face, kills), more stuff shown and everything editable in General tab, troop inventory editing, gamelog viewing and editing, some bug fixes and UI tweaks.

11/17/2013: Alpha update #4. I'm not dead, I just wrote everything that I personally cared about! So there's been a slight lull, since most of the next steps involve major rework of either the internals of the code, or the UI, or both. In the meantime, an update to allow editing globals, and limited editing of parties and troops.

10/31/2013: Alpha update #3. You can now load saves with non-companion troops in the player party! You must load the save's mod before loading a save, however. Fixed some misc potential crashes and changed which item name is displayed.

10/30/2013: Alpha update #2. A few more values being displayed, but the main thing is allowing for basic, optional mod load to display troop and item names.

10/28/2013: Alpha updated! Same download link, see above. Out of control memory leaks and crashes should now be rare. Many added options for viewing save data, a few additions for transferring save data. WBST now loads all values from the save file into memory, so anything that isn't displayed currently could be. I'm also writing the save from scratch based on the internal representation of it (not using the original file at all), which means modifying anything and everything is easy from a technical perspective. User Interface is still a big hurdle to actually editing things in the tool, however. I'd like to load mod data next so I can properly read in files regardless of the composition of the player party, and display troop names and so on. Once that's done, it'll be pretty much full tilt on UI, excepting I get disgusted with the structure of the code and rewrite it all... again. :smile:

I've been working on a little tool to view and do some limited editing on Warband save game files. It's currently in a very rough, early state, but since I'm not aware of anything else out there along these lines, I wanted to release what I have working so far.

Thanks go out to http://mbmodwiki.ollclan.eu/, a great general resource, for cmpxchg8b's page on the save game format, without which I wouldn't have even started on this.

Please read the included readme.txt carefully to avoid current likeliest causes of failed loads, and for general requirements/usage info.

Cheers!

Hey, a mysterious first contribution by an anonymous toolmaker, spicy!

Glad that the format documentation written by cmpxchg8b in our wiki was put to good use.
Just tested it with a savegame from TLD and it started to leak memory (like 2gibs), probably because of the prisoners.

By the way, you can use the following BB code syntax to provide direct links from a Dropbox Public folder:
Code:
[plain][URL=https://www.dropbox.com/s/btfzo526tdn368q/wbst.zip]Download[/URL][/plain]

Yeah, I was wondering who would be the first to jump on a strange binary by a first time poster. :twisted: It runs quite happily without admin rights, at least. :smile:

And yep, prisoners will lead to a memory leak/probable crash (except maybe if they're lords, I haven't tested that specifically since I'd rather just fix it entirely.) Currently it pretends player party stacks don't exist since I think I need to read troops in from the mod in order to determine the flags on those, none of the flags in the saved game itself seemed to be relevant in that case. And it quite happily charges along trying to allocate gobs of memory based on completely wrong data, as you noticed. Sanity checks are definitely in order. I'm also hoping for some feedback as to what people would find useful - and I'm sure I'll get more/better of that by saying "hey I have sorta-functional prototype here, what should I add?" rather than the drive-by first post "I'm totally gonna actually do this, trust me, please waste your time giving me suggestions based on me having spent 30 seconds writing this." Not that that ever happens...

wbst said:
Yeah, I was wondering who would be the first to jump on a strange binary by a first time poster. :twisted: It runs quite happily without admin rights, at least. :smile:

And yep, prisoners will lead to a memory leak/probable crash (except maybe if they're lords, I haven't tested that specifically since I'd rather just fix it entirely.) Currently it pretends player party stacks don't exist since I think I need to read troops in from the mod in order to determine the flags on those, none of the flags in the saved game itself seemed to be relevant in that case. And it quite happily charges along trying to allocate gobs of memory based on completely wrong data, as you noticed. Sanity checks are definitely in order. I'm also hoping for some feedback as to what people would find useful - and I'm sure I'll get more/better of that by saying "hey I have sorta-functional prototype here, what should I add?" rather than the drive-by first post "I'm totally gonna actually do this, trust me, please waste your time giving me suggestions based on me having spent 30 seconds writing this." Not that that ever happens...

I played around with the executable in PEiD and 010 editor before running it. But yeah, the UI is fine, with a more correct parsing and a bit more of functionality this will pass as a pro quality tool. Reading the txt file clarified a lot, and I recommend other prospective testers to RTFM for once. It helps. Keep your task manager at hand to kill the process before the memory goes kaboom, just in case.

People have been asking for something like this for ages. Good work.

Several updates as detailed in the OP, including finally allowing for opening saves with non-companion troops.

Haven't gotten any specific requests or suggestions yet, so my own personal top desires are better handling picking directories (auto-detect, etc), and merging partially eaten food stacks, then we'll see what seems interesting from there. :smile:

I used it different mods and it's working quite handsomely.  :cool:

Quite beautiful thing to have.

In the Faction menu there is the relation  chart but it's not editable. Can it be editable?

silentjan said:
I used it different mods and it's working quite handsomely.  :cool:

Quite beautiful thing to have.

In the Faction menu there is the relation  chart but it's not editable. Can it be editable?
I also would like to know this. And when version 1.3 comes out for clash of kings, will I be able to convert from 1.2?

Back
Top Bottom