Hit Points for Weapon

Users who are viewing this thread

chenzjun

Regular
I have searched this topic on this forum, even I saw a few suggestions about weapon blocking, I believe this idea is new.

Currently when blocking, a wooden staff is more endurable than even the best shield in the game. I could not imagine that any one wound use his or her wooden staff to block a blow of a heavy axe but dodging away. A weapon, when being used to block, is much more breakable than a shield, which is designed for blocking. If a shield can be broken, I would expect that I can break the weapons which are used to block my attack. I had heard some people say "I would use my weapon for blocking melee attack in order to save my shield for arrows" and I do not believe any one in medieval would think the same way, since their weapons are much more breakable and precious than their shields.

By simply assigning a HP to each weapon, similar to that had given to a shield, would solve this problem. Furthermore, I would expect the HP for weapons are generally lower than those for shields, and the HP for a weapons totally made by metal are higher than the HP for weapons which involve, or even are made of wood. Hence, a lance, which is basically made of wood, can be easily broken by a heavy axe within two to three blows, whereas a Sword of War will be slightly better (but still breakable).

Once the weapons are used for blocking, their temporary HP would drop and can only be fixed in shops. The wielder will lose control about a weapon when the HP drops to zero, just exactly like how a shield would behave now. And if the weapons are broken badly, their permanent HP would also drop and cannot be fixed as good as they were. This would affect the damage it can cause, since they are chipped, cracked or whatever-ed. By doing so, I believe that people will evaluate their weapons more precious.

p.s. for those weapons have bonus against shield, should be changed into having bonus against arms.

EDIT: Similar suggestion of HP had been made for lances. If a weapon has HP, the damage caused by charging for a lance can also easily implemented using the same system, so the wielder would finally lose control of the lance as well.

It has been discussed a few times (try using keywords "weapon durability" or just "durability" in advanced search. It is also listed in "Frequent Suggestions sticky on top, please check that in the future). Nevertheless, I don't think the King's Council has the suggestion, and since this is a reasonably thought-out post, (and since now this suggestion is more appropriate with the ability to pick up weapons off the battlefield) it shall be moved ::smile:

Redcoat - Mic said:
I like it somewhat but I'd say it should only be for polearms, it's generally harder to break swords with other swords.

Yes, you absolutely right. However, a shield is also hard (nearly impossible) to break with a sword as well. Nevertheless, when you use heavy weapons (e.g. those has bonus against shield in game) such as axe, it is quite possible after a few hits. Comparing to polearms, swords or weapon made of metal should have a higher HP, but still, breakable.

That'd get fairly annoying however as if the more expensive weapons break, what's the point of buying them? Just buy a cheap one and pick more up on the battlefield as just constantly re-buying swords would be a massive hassle and frankly not fun at all.
Also, I think the breaking of shields is to simulate them getting useless, e.g. massive amounts of cracks, arrows, javelins in them. Although that theory kind of goes out of the window with metal ones...

Redcoat - Mic said:
That'd get fairly annoying however as if the more expensive weapons break, what's the point of buying them? Just buy a cheap one and pick more up on the battlefield as just constantly re-buying swords would be a massive hassle and frankly not fun at all.

The moral of this story is - Do not use your precious weapon to block heavy weapons.. :grin:

It is alright to use a sword to block a sword, but definitely not an axe. You need to dodge. :wink:

Well, it is annoying, but such thing happens in reality. Weapons do get aged and even the best weapon would chipped and cracked after a few battles. Basically, I suppose the permanent HP would not drop unless the weapon is hurt badly. That means minor chips (temporary HP lose) can be simply fixed by a weaponsmith and you would not need to update your weapon frequently if you care about it. And I believe this would force you to love your weapon. :grin:

If you're going to have to pay to maintain your sword, then you're gonna have to pay to maintain all your gear, which I whole-heartedly OPPOSE.

I'd be fine with wooden weapons breaking every know and again, but metal swords?  Honestly, idc what realism you believe in, I don't want to see that except maybe once in a blue moon.

Wow.. this is in Kings Court.. I suggested somthing like this ages ago.. does this mean that next time a river pirate tries to block my axe with his little wooden club when I'm galloping at him I might smash the silly little thing out of his hands?

I think while sword breaking should be rare, it could be fun... you're fighting, your sword breaks.. you have to scrabble to pick up a weapon... a little thing which just adds a variety to the fighting.. of course we'd then get braggers coming on saying "My great axe BROKE and I killed 23 men with my BARE HANDS!... and a spoon!"

Dain Ironfoot said:
Wow.. this is in Kings Court.. I suggested somthing like this ages ago.. does this mean that next time a river pirate tries to block my axe with his little wooden club when I'm galloping at him I might smash the silly little thing out of his hands?

I think while sword breaking should be rare, it could be fun... you're fighting, your sword breaks.. you have to scrabble to pick up a weapon... a little thing which just adds a variety to the fighting.. of course we'd then get braggers coming on saying "My great axe BROKE and I killed 23 men with my BARE HANDS!... and a spoon!"

exactly. Now that we can pick weapons of the ground...weapons SHOULD break. :smile: swords too.

Gee, if we ever get the stamina/bleeding/wounds/morale combo, I'll die happy.

Merlkir said:
Gee, if we ever get the stamina/bleeding/wounds/morale combo, I'll die happy.
Sounds more like you'd die of loss of blood :shock:
But yeah, weapon durability would be nice, and if people don't like it they can turn it off.

A nice and easy way to counter the annoyance and gameplay vs realism, is to have the "broken weapon" repair itself after the battle, like the currently self-replenishing quivers, and the non-repaired shields. That, in my opinion, is the most optimal happy medium for both the anti and the pro - suggestion people ::\

but, while its true a club would probably break i personally find it hard to imagine a steel sword breaking that easily, but then i'm no medieval warfare buff.

rageshrub said:
but, while its true a club would probably break i personally find it hard to imagine a steel sword breaking that easily, but then i'm no medieval warfare buff.
So a club would have a much lower HP than a sword. :wink:

rageshrub said:

anything can break, metals are no exception. I've seen swords break a couple of times..

Mordril said:
But yeah, weapon durability would be nice, and if people don't like it they can turn it off.
Agree. Not everyone would be happy with this extra (and rather minor) detail. Some people (not me) just want to hack and slash, no questions asked.
If this was implemented I think some sort of 'repair' skill would also need to be implemented. Imagine, larger war parties could have a dedicated black/blade-smith NPC.

I'm a hack and slasher without worry if my weapon would break in a real life situation but if this idea was implemented I wouldn't be against it if it was implemented correctly.

An improper example of a broken sword, Shards of Narsil, which were later on reforged to Andúril in LotR.. :cool:

Narsil.jpg

I do think weapons should have a durability, but they should be returned after the battle. Having to pick up a weapon on the ground after your breaks would immerse me in the game much more. I'd also like to see weapons getting knocked out of your hand. But then, you'd need an extra weapons slot or two for backups.

This is distracted, but maybe we should have an extra slot for weapon or increase the size of arrow bags.. atm, I am really annoyed by my vaegir marksmen, who only carry 24 arrows with them. In agincourt, a British longbowman would carry about 72 arrows on average plus a melee weapon. Even though, they used up all their arrows in minutes, and finally joined the battle, which last hours, with their melee weapon.

When you lead 20 marksmen against a party of 70+ enemies, the arrows they carried just ridiculous few. If more arrows cannot be given to them , at least let me be able to shout out something like "hold fire" (I don't think that is hard to implement), otherwise they just used up all the arrows before their enemies come into the the range which they can hit effectively. I agree that most archer would end up with melee in a battle, but 24 arrows just not enough for a professional on foot archer, a marksman.

I think that weapons should, if ,break in battle like shields, loss a good status.
Like a bent should become cracked a reinforced should become thick, etc...
Also maybe instead of break, the weapons should fly off your hands and you have to take it again.
This is my point of view fedback wanted.

Back
Top Bottom