SP Antiquity [WB] Civilisation beta/proof of concept released

How complex should the economy be in Civilisation ?

• Extreme. I want to fine tune everything.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Quite. I want to tune some details in it.

Votes: 44 53.7%
  • Not too much. Emphasis should be on war and the military.

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Not at all. Just a few numbers will do. We are talking about warband, not economyband.

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Cernunos

Banned
Hi there,

The idea is for the player to build his custom settlement.
The settlement would be a bunch of cave age people, with no knowledge, barely able to create fire.
So the player will have to do some research, learn new techs, improve the settlement.
Unless I find a dedicated scene maker, it will be text only. However, effects on the game and the player will be very real.
There wont be tech tiers, all tech will have the same global value.
Once a tech will be researched, another one will randomly be set aside.

techs will allow the player to recruit special troops, build special buildings, craft stuff...
So, what civilisation will you build ?

If everythings work fine, I might add it to Rigale.

So in the end, your civilisation will be renown, because of it's spear throwing knowledge, its bee tending and farming techniques.
Of course, there will be many more discoveries.

FEATURES:
- research technologies
- some technologies are randomly discarded as you research them, leading to some very very different final civilisations. No civilisation will ever be the same.
- Develop your settlement.
- recruit various troops.
- respond to increasing random events, as your knowledge increase.

ADDED TROOPS (subject to change):
name of troop: required tech 1; required tech 2; required tech 3...
Peasant: nothing. armed with clubs, quaterstaff and stones
Peltast: throwing weapons
Marius legionaries: heavy armor;shield;throwing weapon
Hoplites: heavy armor; shield (hoplon...); polearm
Samourai: medium armor; mettalurgy; duel/honor
Longbowman: archery; woodcrafting
bow horsemen: horse riding, archery
light horsemen: horse riding; light armor
knights: horse riding; duel/honor; heavy armor; mettalurgy
middle horseman: horse riding; medium armor
heavy horseman: horse riding; heavy armor
bowman: archery; light armor
Crossbowman:Archery; engineering
Paviser: Archery; engineering; shield
Warrior:  medium armor
Berzerker: two handed weapon: war religion
Barbarian: light armor
Varègue: two handed weapon; heavy armor
Zulu: polearm; shield; thrown weapon
Cataphract: polearm; heavy armor; horse riding
Huscarl: two handed weapon; medium armor; shield
Poacher: archery
Great game/monster hunter: archery, pole arm,thrownweapons,medium armor
NOT YET ADDED
"Numid" light cavalrymen: horse riding - thrown weapons
"Azteque" warrior: light armor - faith. No metal weapons (great for capturing ennemies...)

ADDED TECHNOLOGIES (subject to change)
Thrown weapons
Light armor crafting
Medium armor crafting
Heavy armor crafting
Improved recruitment
Curiosity (slightly increase research points)
Shield
Pole arms
Metallurgy
Honor
Wood crafting
Horse riding
Two handed weapons
Engineering
Faith
Economy 1
Economy 2
Economy 3

If you have an idea, but no mod that you are currently making, go to this thread. If you are making this mod yourself, wait until you have some progress to show before posting a thread.

edit: Sorry about this, I didn't really think you were serious about this mod; I've seen a lot of "idea modders" so at first glance I thought you were one of them. Sorry! :???:

Ahhh, ok. I don't look into people's past work (if any) extensively, I just haven't heard of him, and he's posting a mod idea, so... Thats what I thought. Sorry Cernunos! :???:

I am sorry, I haven't been around for a long time  :sad: , and I often post before I code :sad:
I don't have great stuff to show yet, and it won't be very glamorous, unless you like game_menus ...
However, everythings work fine, the settlement and the first menus are added.
Next is adding all the research feature, the fields of research and so on. But it shouldn't take too long. Hopefully. I do have some fond and good memories of modding rigale :smile:
I was creating this thread so that people can eventually ask questions or propose ideas.

Ok, thats fine. :grin:

At first I thought this was one of the endless "idea" threads, which never amount to anything, thats why I posted that. :smile:

This could be a really good mod.

If only you could randomly generate maps, and other civilizations would crop up along with you, and would make their own history with each other.  Fighting over resources, diplomacy mod, war, extermination, etc

In mount and blade warband though im imagining already developed or undeveloped static civilizations, while your civilization is the only one to evolve, and the same map over and over...

naturally if your civilization dies out = game over.

I'm thinking it would be cool to balance it where the factions around you only had one city each and they would naturally seem to grow as they took the castles and cities around them. Of course you would need a lot of factions which can lag your map down.

Let me precise things.
Only ONE settlement for now, not a whole faction.
This settlement will be kind of a "capital", but there won't be other towns. Think of it like a game in the game, I lack the proper knowledge to connect everythings diplomacy wise :sad:
Those that know or remember Rigale can imagine what kind of feature it will be like, expanding and enriching the world, but not necessarily interacting with it. Oh well.

The settlement won't advance through time.

I was always fascinated by the difference beetween, say, the zulus and incans, or native americans and vikings, romans and chinese. Same tech levels (pre, or very early, gunpowder).
The idea here is to build your own "civilisation", with its own features.
Will you create a civilisation of religious ironclad warriors ? Or lightly armored spear throwing fishermen ? Will you learn how to raise horses, livestock, to help your people eat ? Or go farming, fishing, hunting ?

Many same value techs will be researchable and randomly set aside, and all will have an effect on your settlement/troops you can recruit.

Please understand it is quite a limited, and special project, it won't probably please people, because of its limited scope :sad:

Cernunos said:
Let me precise things.
Only ONE settlement for now, not a whole faction.
This settlement will be kind of a "capital", but there won't be other towns. Think of it like a game in the game, I lack the proper knowledge to connect everythings diplomacy wise :sad:
Those that know or remember Rigale can imagine what kind of feature it will be like, expanding and enriching the world, but not necessarily interacting with it. Oh well.

The settlement won't advance through time.

I was always fascinated by the difference beetween, say, the zulus and incans, or native americans and vikings, romans and chinese. Same tech levels (pre, or very early, gunpowder).
The idea here is to build your own "civilisation", with its own features.
Will you create a civilisation of religious ironclad warriors ? Or lightly armored spear throwing fishermen ? Will you learn how to raise horses, livestock, to help your people eat ? Or go farming, fishing, hunting ?

Many same value techs will be researchable and randomly set aside, and all will have an effect on your settlement/troops you can recruit.

Please understand it is quite a limited, and special project, it won't probably please people, because of its limited scope :sad:
So, either

1.  You are the only one civilization existing at the time, and you carve out your existance with researching development etc.

or

2.  This will add the above into an already existing 'campaign' so to speak, such as native, where you grow your own civilization from ground up, but with all the other factions still being present?

This is what i am understanding of concept so far.  I really like both, though.

Cromcrom! You are back, welcome and good luck with your new project buddy. :smile:

Cernunos said:
Hi there,

The idea is for the player to build his custom settlement.
The settlement would be a bunch of cave age people, with no knowledge, barely able to create fire.
So the player will have to do some research, learn new techs, improve the settlement.
Unless I find a dedicated scene maker, it will be text only. However, effects on the game and the player will be very real.
There wont be tech tiers, all tech will have the same global value.
Once a tech will be researched, another one will randomly be set aside.

techs will allow the player to recruit special troops, build special buildings, craft stuff...
So, what civilisation will you build ?

If everythings work fine, I might add it to Rigale.

I'm working on similar set of features that will be implemented into my Floris Mod Expanded fork.

-an ability for you to create a new fief in any place on the map (at your current party position in the game), while having required amount of peasants/villagers in your party. you are going to have an option to leave caravan masters at the village, to set higher starting relation and prosperity at the creation time (also - possibly hunters, priests?), if you've got some in your party
-an ability for you to expand villages into towns/castles
-more than one interest in towns (& an option to build more than one, simultaneously)
-more fief upgrades and enhancements

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,284783.0.html

@Duh and Belendor, it's GREAT to read from you guys, it's been a long time indeed, hopefully everything is going great for you :smile:

@MickDick
this is more like an opportunity for you to turn a cave age tribe into something that will provide you with new troops, trade or crafted items, gold, and little things to manage, into existing Calradia.
But it will be only research and tech dependant. No javelin users if you don't discover spear throwing first. No honey if you don't discover bee tending. I plan to add quite a lot of techs.
There is a restriction tho: techs can come in 4 "flavors":
unknown base research, unknown difficult research, forgotten, learnt
everytime you discover a tech, another one is randomly going to "difficult", requiring more research points.
If a difficult research is again randomly 'chosen', it is forgotten, and such cannot be researched and used anymore.
So EVERY "civilisation" will be different in the end, and you won't have a total access over what it will look like.
I want to simulate the difference between the Great pre-gunpowder (or very early gunpowder) civilisations.
Like a what if between a "zulu" like civ (great shields, no armor, no farming, spear use (polearm and thrown), no horses, warring nation),and say, vikings (iron armor, raiding/pillager nation, various weapon use, berzerkers like warriors, sea faring, war like polytheist religion, nice mettalurgy) or Native plain americans (horse warriors, no farming, hunters only, small shields, nomadic, shamanistic spirit religion, various weapon use with an emphasis on bow/club/polearm, no mettallurgy....).

See, none of them is really more "advanced" than the other, they all have their goods and bads. This is what I want to achieve.

But very humbly, through the management of only one settlement.

I plan to add a feature where the player will be able to "spy" on other factions of the game.
Could you tell me what technologies the great factions of calradia would be well known for ?
3 - 4 main techs per factions would be great.

That would help, thanks.

NB: I am still working on the technologies/research  game menus/system, and slowly progressing.

Back
Top Bottom