[Map] - Revival of old Oceania map - Operation No☭algia (Complete).

Users who are viewing this thread

Operation No☭algia - Oceania Map.
Hello, people of the PW board (and from the other corners of the forum). I have been working heavily editing the old Oceania map (originally created by Laszlo) which was used in the past versions of PW (for those who don't know, it is the first PW map). The concept remained basically the same as it was, but as it had to be adapted to a new version, it suffered some technical and aesthetical changes, but generally, you'll be able to remember the old places quite easily. Also, this is the first map to use directly enterable buildings. Thus I declare the Operation No☭algia open and running. Right now, the map has been finished, and works for 4.5(1).

Overview:
zJ_RD.jpg

Download:

See my other works:
- Conquest Map;
- The Land of Change Map;
- The Islands of Fortune Map (outdated);
- Knock-knock: Enterable houses for PW mod.
Enjoy my cringy map names.
My contributions:
- Overhauls for the RCC version of Valley of Swamps.

The Bowman said:
See the first post again. Update.

Awesome. Just awesome. You've actually made the map better IMO; I hope the FPS is good too?

Also I see you're using the new interiors you've gone and done. I hope that means that'll be released soon ;D

N0body said:
The Bowman said:
See the first post again. Update.

Awesome. Just awesome. You've actually made the map better IMO; I hope the FPS is good too?

Also I see you're using the new interiors you've gone and done. I hope that means that'll be released soon ;D

You're right. This is the first map to use the new houses. The only "traditional" interior which uses teleport doors is the Green castle dungeon. It can be accessed by absolutely anyone, to facilitate sneaky attacks and infiltrations, but you'll need a lockpick to advance further in the galleries.

The FPS might feel jerky because you start off at the edge of the map. It gets normal as you go to the center.

I can feel the FPS falling from all those "junk" props lying around. Oceania was never noted for good FPS in the first place, are you sure everything you add is necessary?

Comparably, the FPS is quite better than Normandy, and far better than my other map. The scene suffered a lot of modifications, which included the removal of a load of other props which I considered unfit, like the huge arena (which was replaced by those circles and a simple shooting range). The green castle also got rid of all those rocks, and instead, it got just a modified terran + a farm. The snowy castle had an unnecessarily high amount of trees and bushes in that area, so I cut their number by half. The bushes on their behalf, got completly removed (not to mention the replacement of earth walls with snowy ones, which got less polys). The desert castle got rid of 2/3 buildings and now it's left with a tavern, a lord's house, two arabian huts, a house for eye candy, some tents and a plain arabian keep instead of that unfitting swadian keep. Next, the starting area was overhauled and got just a few pine trees and bushes. That castle at the spawn is now non-existent, because I cannot see a purpose for it anymore. The swadian castle is probably the one which suffered the most modifications. Due to its design (my guess) it was not really used by people an ultimately got closed by Laszlo. Well, at this moment it got rid of all those props inside the walls, and now has a box shape, containing a full keep and one shed for horses (looks much better and practical. I hope it'll be put in good use; also, there is a suspended bridge instead of that tower connect; hopefully this will attract faction members much easier). The oulaw camp and the mine got their haircut too, and are now left with less trees and stuff around. You might remember a tournament arena with those huge stables and spectator seats. In my opinion they consumed a lot of space and were quite out of place. I decided to set it in the neutral area (near the village) and give it a simple construction. The village itself was somewhat more spared. And the last detail: you might remember that farm near the spawn. Now it's smaller and got an inn. I hope that it will attract the whole peasantry, since it's right on the road.

And that's my wall of text. Tl;dr version: the map got a new hairstyle and a technical approachment to PW4.

I'm not so much concerned about polys as I am about sheer number of props. Most PW maps bottleneck on my (and others') processors, which can only be helped by reducing the number of things to process (i.e. less total props).

The map totals to 416 Kbs. It's very good for a PW map, I think. In my screens I have captured the most important areas. Most of the map is solely made out of clumps of trees on lowlands. :smile:

Thread prettied up. :smile:

Just to make you all sleep better, I went into a prop killing spree, without affecting the aesthetics too much. In exchange, I have added secondary capture points to the castle farms. In order to compensare, the banners have become cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom