General History Questions thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Pretty much everywhere was a brothel in that place.  When I was there it seemed just about every 4th or 5th street was one.  Not surprising since it was the Roman version of Las Vegas, and they were less shy about such things that we are today (Americans anyway).

IIRC there were signs in Pompeii in the shape of phalluses pointing to the brothels.

too far back? how bizarre is it that horses are fit for man so perfectly as they are? Where would the evolution of civilization/war have gone without them? thoughts?

Perfectly fit? Have you ever ridden a horse for more than an hour? My balls still ache from the memory. But I'll tell you how it was: the men of ancient times wanted to travel without walking, so they started to search for things that move and can be sat on. First they tried with a dog, but it collapsed. Then they sat on a cow. It didn't collapse, but didn't want to leave the pastures either. After that they sat on a crocodile and it was a disaster. So there they were, those sad, chewed up cavemen, walking on their blistering, tormented feet, when they saw some horses. They thought it is big enough to not collapse, agile enough to go far, and coward enough so it won't chew people up. A few thousand years later they managed to catch one, and under a few more thousand years they managed to tame them. They just needed a few thosand years more to shape them through selective breeding so they could be bizarrely fit for mankind.

djogloc02 said:
Why did the women didn't have rights in most of the historical societies?
Because women on the whole can't do as much hard physical work. They couldn't fight, couldn't do heavy industry.
They could handle the home, manage stuff, and do less straining chores that took a long time yet needed to be done.

But for a long time, most everyone agreed that might was right. Women didn't have any might, so they had no rights.

Rallix said:
djogloc02 said:
Why did the women didn't have rights in most of the historical societies?
Because women on the whole can't do as much hard physical work. They couldn't fight, couldn't do heavy industry.
They could handle the home, manage stuff, and do less straining chores that took a long time yet needed to be done.

But for a long time, most everyone agreed that might was right. Women didn't have any might, so they had no rights.
Jesus ****ing Christ on a pogo-stick, RalliX, don't just spout ignorant bull**** like it's the Divine Truth or something. Very few societies have operated strictly on a might-makes-right-basis!

djogloc02, to really understand that, you first need to understand that owning land/property is one of the oldest tenets of a society and inheritance was most often handled from father to son. Before reliable contraceptives (condoms and the pill) emerged during the 20th century, the only method for men to ensure that the sons inheriting their property were actually THEIR sons, was to control the uterus of his wife.

Then you can add the Abrahamic religions, that are extremely misogynist, into the mix which made the situation worse in many places.

Some societies placed high emphasis on individual martial prowess, and in those societies women were discriminated against on the "might-makes-right"-basis that RalliX brought up. In most societies women worked alongside men in nearly every profession - and worked equally hard.

That's good to read, but the women didn't have the right to have, for example,  high-tier ranks in the army like generals right? There were some, like Joana D'Arc, women in the "Spanish Guerrila" in Napoleonic Wars, and more, but I mean in general.

Very few armies accepted women as soldiers before firearms evened the battlefield - Chinese did use women armed with spears/pikes. This stemmed mainly from two reasons: (1) a tribe/clan/society that loses 90% of its fighting-age men can still survive if it has sufficient breeding-age women and (2) women are generally physically weaker than men and fighting was mostly dependent on the individual prowess of the combatants. It's difficult to become a leader of warriors/soldiers if you cannot be one yourself.

But as you stated yourself, there were exceptions.

viking avatar, i am talking bout the formation of the horse in nature to its affect over history by man...

cavalry over infantry etcc.... its a pretty monumental hook through loop as far as technological components go.

i find it a marvel

I have a question about the Byzantine Empire in Medieval times, what happened to the army? Someone told me it totally  collapsed at 1204. If that's true, how the Byzantine Army was organized after 1204?

In 1204 Constantinople was conquered by the Crusaders and they formed the "Latin Empire" it lasted for a few years and collapsed and the Byzantines retook Constantinople.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Empire

Tavarias said:
viking avatar, i am talking bout the formation of the horse in nature to its affect over history by man...

cavalry over infantry etcc.... its a pretty monumental hook through loop as far as technological components go.

i find it a marvel
:roll:

1110_face.jpg
1131_face.jpg

1527_face.jpg
805_face.jpg

831_face.jpg
918_face.jpg

836_face.jpg
896_face.jpg

1612_face.jpg
1744_face.jpg

1167_face.jpg
1044_face.jpg

943_face.jpg
1958_face.jpg

1311_face.jpg
1488_face.jpg

1685_face.jpg
510_face.jpg
djogloc02 said:
I have a question about the Byzantine Empire in Medieval times, what happened to the army? Someone told me it totally  collapsed at 1204. If that's true, how the Byzantine Army was organized after 1204?
:wink:
Imperial Eagle said:
djogloc02 said:
Did the Late Roman Medieval Army still a professional army?

After 1204 things basically collapsed, the army became more or less feudal with Dynatoi lords raising most forces and either feudal Pronoiarioi knights or mercenaries replacing earlier professional tagmatic elites.

029.Christos%20Giannopoulos.%20Cataphract%20and%20scoutatus%2C%2013th.jpg
5347844_zps3342e65f.png

http://****-k.narod.ru/Historical_Arts/Byzantine_Armies_2/Byzantine_Armies_2_4.jpg
TER_19_late_14th_C.jpg

017.JPG

016.JPG

TER_20_1453_AD.jpg

%3F%3F%3F14.png

%3F%3F%3F13.png

002.%20%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%20%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%20%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%20%3F%20%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%20%3F%3F%3F.JPG

%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%20%289%29.jpg

Umm.... They owned all of Greece and most of Sicily and southern Italy at one point, as well as all of Turkey and Anatolia. They even conquered north Africa in the 600's.

Justinian555AD.png

Back
Top Bottom