Author Topic: General History Questions thread  (Read 531939 times)

Almalexia

• Her Flamboyance, the Calipha
  • Duke
  • 'Til Fimbulwinter Come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sarranid
  • M&BWBNW
Re: General History Questions thread
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 07:06:11 PM »
Or, simply enough, because they were different. End of the day that's all it takes to earn hatred, even if it takes hundreds of years of proximity.
We could not understand because we were too far and could not remember because we were traveling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign - and no memories. We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free.

It isn't an adventure story, is it Mr. Hayes?

Jhessail

• Panzervixen
  • Master Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 07:20:19 PM »
Just a quick question, where did the hatred for the Jews come from?  :?:
One, they had a different religion and different customs which creates suspicion and fear
Two, during Medieval times they ran the proto-banks which earned them plenty of hatred (though only a small minority of Jews were wealthy)
Three, as a group of outsiders that does not want to assimilate, they have always been a very easy target
JOIN SHADOWRUN PARTY QUEST
"In revenge and in love, woman is more barbaric than man is." - Friedrich Nietzsche
"For the female of the species is more deadly than the male." - Rudyard Kipling
Jhessail is far from friendly. :P She's extremely intelligent, amicable, and witty, but friendly's the last word I'd use to describe her.

Falkner92

• Knight
  • Permanently Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 08:48:15 PM »
Just a quick question, where did the hatred for the Jews come from?  :?:
One, they had a different religion and different customs which creates suspicion and fear
Two, during Medieval times they ran the proto-banks which earned them plenty of hatred (though only a small minority of Jews were wealthy)
Three, as a group of outsiders that does not want to assimilate, they have always been a very easy target

You forgot the whole 'they killed Jeebus' part. That was a pretty big deal, especially in medieval Europe.
"I don the armor of the conquistador, for I am the new conqueror! I am the heir to Coronado! And the city of gold is mine and mine only!"
- Thomas Magruder

Captured Joe

• Marquis
  • The Volunteer Army marches again...
    • Steam - captured_joe
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: CapturedJoe
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2013, 09:50:14 PM »
That was only used as an excuse. Jeebus himself was a Jew.
Captured Joe is my worst fear
You could say that he finds hungarian tanks riveting.

Falkner92

• Knight
  • Permanently Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2013, 09:53:13 PM »
Correct, and maybe that's how the educated elites of the time felt, but for the commoners? You know, the general public? That was a BIG reason.
"I don the armor of the conquistador, for I am the new conqueror! I am the heir to Coronado! And the city of gold is mine and mine only!"
- Thomas Magruder

Vicccard

• Master Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • MP nick: Duuring
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013, 06:26:09 PM »
Nothing unites a group of people more then hatred pointed at another, preferably different and smaller, group of people.

There's your reason.
Yeah, but Russia is gaming the bug that countries with the dismantling treaty modifier can still initiate and participate in crises. No fair. And should they even be in the top 8? They are tenth in economy, fourth in military, but basically zero prestige....

Oskatat

• Squire
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
  • M&B
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 07:20:01 PM »
I'd suggest a different/new thread if people want to discuss persecution/hate of jews/strangers/other religions/ethnic groups, since a discussion like that can go on for quite a bit

Jhessail

• Panzervixen
  • Master Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 08:14:50 PM »
I don't remember anymore where I read it but I recall some author stating that the Romans had prostitutes everywhere. Not just in taverns and inns but at the Colosseum during games, in bath houses, even bakeries. They different terms for prostitutes, depending on she worked - so a bakery prostitute had a different nickname than one working in a bath house would have, and so on. I *think* the author went on to say that prostitution, while not a glamorous profession, was not as loathed as it was in some other places and times. Does anyone know further details or can confirm/debunk this?
JOIN SHADOWRUN PARTY QUEST
"In revenge and in love, woman is more barbaric than man is." - Friedrich Nietzsche
"For the female of the species is more deadly than the male." - Rudyard Kipling
Jhessail is far from friendly. :P She's extremely intelligent, amicable, and witty, but friendly's the last word I'd use to describe her.

Almalexia

• Duke
  • 'Til Fimbulwinter Come
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBNW
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 08:20:27 PM »
I've actually heard the same, though I don't recall where exactly. It may have been from the professor who was the tour guide at Pompeii? I'll look it up later personally to see if I can find some sources that corroborate.
We could not understand because we were too far and could not remember because we were traveling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign - and no memories. We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free.

Rallix

• Count
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • M&BWBWF&SVC
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 08:48:52 PM »
I went to Pompeii, actually.
There was a particular house on a street-corner...  It had depictions of prostitution on the walls. It might have been a brothel.

Almalexia

• Duke
  • 'Til Fimbulwinter Come
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBNW
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 08:57:49 PM »
Yeah, it was totally the brothel.

Skot the Sanguine

• Sergeant Knight
  • Baron Wolfgang von Stadler
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • WBNW
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2013, 03:37:43 PM »
Pretty much everywhere was a brothel in that place.  When I was there it seemed just about every 4th or 5th street was one.  Not surprising since it was the Roman version of Las Vegas, and they were less shy about such things that we are today (Americans anyway).

DoctorPainkiller

• Master Knight
    • Steam - DoctorPainkiller
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • MP nick: Mantis Toboggan
  • WBNWWF&SVC
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2013, 03:39:10 PM »
IIRC there were signs in Pompeii in the shape of phalluses pointing to the brothels.

Tavarias

• Recruit
  • Permanently Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2013, 08:48:52 PM »
too far back? how bizarre is it that horses are fit for man so perfectly as they are? Where would the evolution of civilization/war have gone without them? thoughts?

Bromden

• Archduke
  • Got shroom.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2013, 10:20:17 PM »
Perfectly fit? Have you ever ridden a horse for more than an hour? My balls still ache from the memory. But I'll tell you how it was: the men of ancient times wanted to travel without walking, so they started to search for things that move and can be sat on. First they tried with a dog, but it collapsed. Then they sat on a cow. It didn't collapse, but didn't want to leave the pastures either. After that they sat on a crocodile and it was a disaster. So there they were, those sad, chewed up cavemen, walking on their blistering, tormented feet, when they saw some horses. They thought it is big enough to not collapse, agile enough to go far, and coward enough so it won't chew people up. A few thousand years later they managed to catch one, and under a few more thousand years they managed to tame them. They just needed a few thosand years more to shape them through selective breeding so they could be bizarrely fit for mankind.
Brombem, i see you are stubborn like a goat!!!
Answer the questions bromen.