Races

Users who are viewing this thread

Barsolden said:
I know everyone has or will have elite units (drow female line seems like it qualifies) and was just pointing out that golems need a hard counter.
Archers are very good against golems.  Additionally, if you do it right, cavalry can also work (just try not to stay too close).  Also, the biggest reason golems exist is to give mages a run for their money when fighting anything with decent magic defense.

That demon troop tree looks nice, but has a few issues.
Since demons are so varied (at least in D&D), them changing shapes so much is going to be difficult to do.
Maybe a base demon and all demons will look similar and have the same size and make a special demon like a Balor using the golem base (for size) and giving him awesome fighting powers.
I think a demon faction would be too much, at least a faction with it's own castle and city, BUT they could spawn around like bandits do and have a demon lair or portal or whatever and could be defeated only if their leaders are captured and banished by some ritual or something.
Since there is only one "race slot" left, that counts for either males or females so if I make female demons, they would have to come from a common origin, the same as males, so perhaps an asexual lesser demon could be a base for  both.

How would demonologists work? Like some sort of mages that summon demons?

guspav said:
Since demons are so varied (at least in D&D), them changing shapes so much is going to be difficult to do.
Maybe a base demon and all demons will look similar and have the same size and make a special demon like a Balor using the golem base (for size) and giving him awesome fighting powers.
I think a demon faction would be too much, at least a faction with it's own castle and city, BUT they could spawn around like bandits do and have a demon lair or portal or whatever and could be defeated only if their leaders are captured and banished by some ritual or something.
Since there is only one "race slot" left, that counts for either males or females so if I make female demons, they would have to come from a common origin, the same as males, so perhaps an asexual lesser demon could be come both.

PoP has demons as a random spawn (and they are supposed to be the strongest unit in the game).  I'd assume demonology would be like necromancy was initially: you summon demons and lose relations/renown/honor/health.

I had something similar in mind, maybe with some demonologist quests in future to summon demon companion with some unique dialogs and options, and maybe as king, (example quest) following the whispers of strange old man who appeard at your court, make the ceremony of summon powerfull lord from hell, with big sacrifice of your troops and some special items, what will really decrease your renown but give you strong ally pernamently  :wink:

I think a demon faction would be too much, at least a faction with it's own castle and city, BUT they could spawn around like bandits do and have a demon lair or portal or whatever

I think about demon faction with only one city (dark demonic castle, ancient ruins or simly destroyed city) with very strong garrison, and powerfull Demonic Lords, who want to carry out the invasion on Calradia, so on the one hand Orcs invasion (I hope that You remember to add some Orcs patrols in future ? :smile: ), and on the other hand Demon invasion, with their own, enemy to all (excluding demons faction of course) mini-faction spawn and maybe cultists spawn too (the Demons could be quite powerfull at beginning, but should not be at war only with Delthersam and maybe player). I really like that concept of war-torn fantasy world .

and could be defeated only if their leaders are captured and banished by some ritual or something.

And demonologists job will be to pull out them from hellfire once more time  :twisted:

guspav said:
Since there is only one "race slot" left, that counts for either males or females so if I make female demons, they would have to come from a common origin, the same as males, so perhaps an asexual lesser demon could be a base for  both.

What I would love to see most is a demon faction, you could make it so every certain amount of times a "Rift" of some sort would open up through which a couple of demon lords would appear and start invading the other factions and taking cities and castles, while still giving the player an opportunity to join them if you find any, that way they would slowly start racking up lords and taking castles and cities like an invading army should.. The option to join them could result in you being able to capture cities and castles for them but also in the ability to be able to do a certain procedure (for example talking to a shady-looking npc in four-ways inn) to speed up the opening of the next rift(or portal or w/e) which would also cause you to gain positive relations with the lords that come out of it and with the faction itself.

The demon race doesn't have to be so varied visually, you could make them all just red, with sharp teeth, hooves and tails (the most basic demon genre). The big demon using the golem skin that you called "Barlog" (from LoTR obviously :lol:) is what I was thinking the Berserkers and Devils could look like (as they are big frontal-assault chargers with high health and no armor) and with the wings suggestion I added you could just call them Barlogs and seal the deal :grin:

Being a demonologist shouldn't be too much like being a necromancer or else it would take away a part of its uniqueness(is that a word?), I think that like I suggested the rift/portal idea from earlier, being a demonologist you would need to get a certain unique item (let's call it Bloodstone for example) and then use it in a specific location for the cost of 95% of your current health (and some relation minus to certain factions, for example the elves as protectors of the nature would resent the demons being destructive and malicious while the orcs or drows wouldn't really care) for a process that would take, 48 hours? after which you would get notified that a "Rift" has been summoned somewhere in the map (you get the specified location) through which a unique Lord/NPC would spawn that would travel the map with a certain amount of demons in his party (200 for example) and when you would talk to him he would let you recruit as many of them as you want, for a price of course. The npc's name could be for example Bane the Demontrainer and he would leave right after you talked to him, you should make it that the same NPC/lord spawns from the rift(portal) every time so you don't have to mess with the code to make it so a unique new npc is generated, because that would just cause a lot of headache to the game engine :lol:. the NPC would be untarget-able by other lords/parties (so he doesn't get wiped out) and you have 10 days to find and catch him before he leaves (Like I said, he's just travelling around).

Another suggestion (Although probably harder to do) for the demonologist could be that after the same process mentioned before, instead of a unique NPC spawning from the rift/portal, you'd have to talk to the rift to enter the demon's realm which would be a new, separate, much smaller map that would only contain a city, and a few villages (all with a hellish looking background) where you could go for only a few days to talk with the demon lords/king, recruit from their villages and maybe even try to take their city (which if you successfully do, you get permanent access to the new map) and after the time period is up you get kicked out (unless you took the city) and you go back to the calardia map where everything has been unchanged (it could go on pause when you are gone).

Sorry for making such complicated ideas but I personally believe that the only limitations a man has are the ones he sets for himself :grin: and I honestly believe you could pull either of these ideas off :smile:

Oh and starting out as a demon could be really cool!! (you can make it unlockable by completing the game once with any other race if you want) which would also give you wings and the Fly-ability the Devils and berserkers (or Barlogs if you want) could have :lol: (Once again referring you to the jedi powerjump and jetpack scripts from Bear Force 2)

I know i'm writing a lot and giving everyone a headache but I just really love this mod and I think that demons are the only thing that is missing! (That and a decent storyline which I could help to write due time :lol:)

p.s. I was thinking you can get the Bloodstone (or whatever you call it, if you take my idea) obtain-able by killing unique spawns, which would also give the player another reason to hunt them :smile:

Oh and 1 last thing! You should beef up the demons and make it so that their summoning process (whatever it might be) will have atleast a 15 day cooldown so people can't just stack up demons, as an invading faction they should be rare, exotic, really hard to get and really hard to defeat! it will add a lot more spice to the game :grin:

Alot of magic shizz going on right now, but nevermind.

Some improvements to the magic staffs might be to give them a secondary mode which makes them shoot (firebolts, electric charges, black bolts, etc.). I am not sure how that would work, but a solution would be to add the fireballs as bolts (or even better, make them come with the staff), the staffs as crossbows with no reload, with the Florismod stab animation instead of the crossbow shooting animation.

And on the matter of needing bloodstones to obtain Demon troops, why not make it as in Prophesy of Pandora? Rarely a NPC with alot of troops would spawn (sort of like an elite version of the (really) greedy dwarfs or the unholy knights)and walk around untill he is defeated by either other NPC or by you. If you defeat him and capture him, you can talk to him while he is captured. There you can either choose to free him for a large amount of gold, kill him so he wont return or free him for a (in this case) Bloodstone.

LazySteve said:
guspav said:

What I would love to see most is a demon faction, you could make it so every certain amount of times a "Rift" of some sort would open up through which a couple of demon lords would appear and start invading the other factions and taking cities and castles, while still giving the player an opportunity to join them if you find any, that way they would slowly start racking up lords and taking castles and cities like an invading army should.. The option to join them could result in you being able to capture cities and castles for them but also in the ability to be able to do a certain procedure (for example talking to a shady-looking npc in four-ways inn) to speed up the opening of the next rift(or portal or w/e) which would also cause you to gain positive relations with the lords that come out of it and with the faction itself.

The demon race doesn't have to be so varied visually, you could make them all just red, with sharp teeth, hooves and tails (the most basic demon genre). The big demon using the golem skin that you called "Barlog" (from LoTR obviously :lol:) is what I was thinking the Berserkers and Devils could look like (as they are big frontal-assault chargers with high health and no armor) and with the wings suggestion I added you could just call them Barlogs and seal the deal :grin:

Being a demonologist shouldn't be too much like being a necromancer or else it would take away a part of its uniqueness(is that a word?), I think that like I suggested the rift/portal idea from earlier, being a demonologist you would need to get a certain unique item (let's call it Bloodstone for example) and then use it in a specific location for the cost of 95% of your current health (and some relation minus to certain factions, for example the elves as protectors of the nature would resent the demons being destructive and malicious while the orcs or drows wouldn't really care) for a process that would take, 48 hours? after which you would get notified that a "Rift" has been summoned somewhere in the map (you get the specified location) through which a unique Lord/NPC would spawn that would travel the map with a certain amount of demons in his party (200 for example) and when you would talk to him he would let you recruit as many of them as you want, for a price of course. The npc's name could be for example Bane the Demontrainer and he would leave right after you talked to him, you should make it that the same NPC/lord spawns from the rift(portal) every time so you don't have to mess with the code to make it so a unique new npc is generated, because that would just cause a lot of headache to the game engine :lol:. the NPC would be untarget-able by other lords/parties (so he doesn't get wiped out) and you have 10 days to find and catch him before he leaves (Like I said, he's just travelling around).

Another suggestion (Although probably harder to do) for the demonologist could be that after the same process mentioned before, instead of a unique NPC spawning from the rift/portal, you'd have to talk to the rift to enter the demon's realm which would be a new, separate, much smaller map that would only contain a city, and a few villages (all with a hellish looking background) where you could go for only a few days to talk with the demon lords/king, recruit from their villages and maybe even try to take their city (which if you successfully do, you get permanent access to the new map) and after the time period is up you get kicked out (unless you took the city) and you go back to the calardia map where everything has been unchanged (it could go on pause when you are gone).

Sorry for making such complicated ideas but I personally believe that the only limitations a man has are the ones he sets for himself :grin: and I honestly believe you could pull either of these ideas off :smile:

Oh and starting out as a demon could be really cool!! (you can make it unlockable by completing the game once with any other race if you want) which would also give you wings and the Fly-ability the Devils and berserkers (or Barlogs if you want) could have :lol: (Once again referring you to the jedi powerjump and jetpack scripts from Bear Force 2)

I know i'm writing a lot and giving everyone a headache but I just really love this mod and I think that demons are the only thing that is missing! (That and a decent storyline which I could help to write due time :lol:)

p.s. I was thinking you can get the Bloodstone (or whatever you call it, if you take my idea) obtain-able by killing unique spawns, which would also give the player another reason to hunt them :smile:

Oh and 1 last thing! You should beef up the demons and make it so that their summoning process (whatever it might be) will have atleast a 15 day cooldown so people can't just stack up demons, as an invading faction they should be rare, exotic, really hard to get and really hard to defeat! it will add a lot more spice to the game :grin:
Oh my, that is quite the wall of text.
- The rift idea as a mixture between a bandit lair and a village could be good.
- The wandering neutral demon that allows demon recruitment also sounds pretty cool.
- While the force jump and jetpack scripts are good for multiplayer, I don't know if I could make the AI use them properly so as to simulate demon flight, I think that won't be possible.
- A whole new city of demons is much of a pain and I don''t think it's worth the effort.
- Another horde trying to conquer Calradia? Jeez, there sure must be something valuable over there! :wink:
- I could add a new demonology skill and make demonology menus. Since demons (at least the more powerful ones) would be insanely tough, it should be rather costly to get them.
- The demon companion sounds pretty good too, just maybe players shouldn't be allowed to change it's equipment.

Assasin_Nietsmmar said:
Alot of magic shizz going on right now, but nevermind.

Some improvements to the magic staffs might be to give them a secondary mode which makes them shoot (firebolts, electric charges, black bolts, etc.). I am not sure how that would work, but a solution would be to add the fireballs as bolts (or even better, make them come with the staff), the staffs as crossbows with no reload, with the Florismod stab animation instead of the crossbow shooting animation.

And on the matter of needing bloodstones to obtain Demon troops, why not make it as in Prophesy of Pandora? Rarely a NPC with alot of troops would spawn (sort of like an elite version of the (really) greedy dwarfs or the unholy knights)and walk around untill he is defeated by either other NPC or by you. If you defeat him and capture him, you can talk to him while he is captured. There you can either choose to free him for a large amount of gold, kill him so he wont return or free him for a (in this case) Bloodstone.

- I already talked about magic staves and their "rifle-mode", As it is I don't think it's a good idea.
- It would basically work like those random encounters, but lead by an NPC hero and with bigger reward possibilities. While it is VERY similar to PoP it might just be a good idea to implement that.

Marknificent said:
I WANT OT BE A SKELETON OR ZOMBIE!!!!!  :evil:

I want to be a billionaire, but we don't always get what we want, do we?  :lol:
In all seriousness, I don't think skeletons or zombies should be playable races, because they're just mindless animated corpses. Then again, adding a new menu item is quite simple so I MIGHT do it at some point.

There should be a demon invasion of calradia (mayebe 5-10 demon lords and a king?) each demon lord could also have their own unique demon unit and all of them have different personalities). This would be really cool. The demons could invade at any time, are hostile to every faction, and maybe make them build a few "Demon Outposts" where they can garrison some units and where players can attack for awesome loot. Another idea is maybe make these demon lords all invade calradia at different times, so there is 1 Demon lord at first, then more invade. Once the demon king arrives, the demon lords are able to take settlements.

This is just my suggestion on this matter.

It might make sense for orcs and drow (and possibly undead....but maybe not) to have a small number of demons in their armies.

It might make sense for orcs and drow (and possibly undead....but maybe not) to have a small number of demons in their armies.

I don't think so, maybe only if their demonologist summon some in battle (that would be ok to summon demon spell for some mage-type units (dark mages ?), only for battle time, after battle demon will disapear)  :wink:

PS. summoning (reanimating) lesser undeads from enemies corpses would be great, I know it's possible - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09-JMjjP9j8  :smile:

MasterChaosis said:
I don't think so, maybe only if their demonologist summon some in battle (that would be ok to summon demon spell for some mage-type units (dark mages ?), only for battle time, after battle demon will disapear)  :wink:

PS. summoning (reanimating) lesser undeads from enemies corpses would be great, I know it's possible - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09-JMjjP9j8  :smile:

That video just blew my mind.

MasterChaosis said:

I was going with the D&D base-and your suggestion works :smile:

SmurfInHell said:
MasterChaosis said:

That video just blew my mind.

:shock: this is exactly what I looked like watching that video

Very interesting! I will try to figure out how corpses work. Very probably it has something to do with the agent is alive condition. If it works like that I could easily add a rais undead spell or script. The musket-staff also looks interesting and relates to something someone suggested before.

The Mount&Blade has a maximum of 16 "genders", races. For me there should be:
1--Human(male)
2--Human(female)
3--Undead(Skeleton while shadow and mummy head/torso armored/unarmored must be items)
4--Ljosalfar (Male) (Are called the "Light Elves" in norse mythology. Term "Elf" is over-used)
5--Ljosalfar (Female)
6--Svartalfar (Male) (Rename Drow, it's too much like D&D. Svartalfar, instead are Dark Elves from Norse Mythology. They look however, quite alot like elves.)
7--Svartalfar (Female)
8--Dwarf (Male)
9--Dwarf (Female)
10-Orc
11-Goblin
12-Giant
13-Troll
14-Vampire (Male)
15-Vampire (Female)
16-Construct (Golems, gargoyles and such)

ThaneWulfgharn said:
1--Human(male)
2--Human(female)
3--Undead(Skeleton while shadow and mummy head/torso armored/unarmored must be items)
4--Ljosalfar (Male) (Are called the "Light Elves" in norse mythology. Term "Elf" is over-used)
5--Ljosalfar (Female)
6--Svartalfar (Male) (Rename Drow, it's too much like D&D. Svartalfar, instead are Dark Elves from Norse Mythology. They look however, quite alot like elves.)
7--Svartalfar (Female)
8--Dwarf (Male)
9--Dwarf (Female)
10-Orc
11-Goblin
12-Giant
13-Troll
14-Vampire (Male)
15-Vampire (Female)

I like troll/giant idea along with the constructs. I don't know how the constructs would work exactly though. Would you be like a Wood golem and armors change you? The golems now are using armor.

ThaneWulfgharn said:
1--Human(male)
2--Human(female)
5--Ljosalfar (Female)
7--Svartalfar (Female)
8--Dwarf (Male)
9--Dwarf (Female)
10-Orc
11-Goblin
12-Giant
13-Troll
14-Vampire (Male)
15-Vampire (Female)
.....2 questions:
1) How would vampires work in M&B?  Having units that die before the enemies are able to shoot doesn't seem like a good idea.
2) Of all the fantasy races here, elf factions are the ones you think are the most overused?
vampires/zombies/orcs I think are all overused more

Aside from this, the Norse elf names remind me too much of Kingdoms of Amalur (mostly that it should have been great and failed).

I tend to think goblins+orcs is redundant, they always serve the same role, except when they both exist orcs are better.

Same with giant+troll (from the small amount of Norse lore I read, I never got the difference).

Poll went for demons, they should be on the list.

Other than that, the list is well thought out (interesting ideas and thought out for each option).

ThaneWulfgharn said:
1--Human(male)
2--Human(female)
5--Ljosalfar (Female)
7--Svartalfar (Female)
8--Dwarf (Male)
9--Dwarf (Female)
10-Orc
11-Goblin
12-Giant
13-Troll
14-Vampire (Male)
15-Vampire (Female)

What does Norse Mythology have to do with the mod all of a sudden? simply naming them elves is simpler, easier for the player to recognize and more appealing in general...
No demons? so that poll was for nothing?
Personally i'd just make all the races Unisex so you can fill the spots with a more interesting variety, I mean why have human, elf and drow females but not orcs or goblins? how would these guys breed? might aswell make them all unisex races that spawn by magic...

Back
Top Bottom