RaW:Previews+News

Users who are viewing this thread

New scenes, SP + MP, fully AI meshed (except MP version of Mediolanum), with passages and entry points, etc...

Ostia, one of the greatest harbours of the late Roman Empire it started as a fishing village and started to grow as a naval harbour in the third century B.C., to help fend off the pirates in the Tyrrhenian sea (most likely Etruscans) a garrison fort was built near the city. It continued to grow as any city of the Republic and later the Empire and its harbour received a great expansion under Trajan. Ruins of Ostia Antica survived until present day and feature some impressive mosaics, streets and remains of diverse insulae.
richards_map_of_ostia+copy.jpg
index1.jpg
It's a bit difficult to say what Ostia might have looked during the 3rd Century B.C. due to the great expansion it suffered and all the changes in the city planning so my version is approximative and small scale as expected, I believe it was still a minor settlement at this time. I hope to remake it later with props that are more accurate to our era but that'll do for now.

uvsgz.jpg
BoLMG.jpg
uOLFn.jpg
NlViu.jpg
gwSDO.jpg
Ls9Dc.jpg
OKP46.jpg
nUroL.jpg
0CSsN.jpg

Mediolanum, built by the Insubres tribe circa 600 B.C. and captured by the Romans circa 200 B.C. Mediolanum was an ideal trade center due to it's localisation and fertile plains. The city was greatly expanded during the Imperial era becoming one of the most populated cities of the Empire and it became the capital of the Western Roman Empire under Diocletian. Centuries of Roman expansion left barely nothing of the original Insubrian city so I improvised with the props we have to our disposition.

N_YMO.jpg
AqQiE.jpg
EFkcB.jpg
0HCJK.jpg
apKmt.jpg
dCkFd.jpg
5ZxQK.jpg

WOOOOOOOOOOOW that's what I've been waiting for! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Amazing scenes! they look terribly sexy... straw textures on the houses totally rock, the little temple and the streets are delightful and have I just seen two entrance in Ostia???
now sieges will be more difficult for defenders, GREAT, it's little boring to see waves and waves of attackers getting stuck by few heavy hoplites on the small castle ladder...

Do you enter in Mediolanum village from the main entrance in the siege? it's even more great!

the only thing that doesn't enthuse it's the brightness of Roman walls...  they were usually made of tuff and pozzolana, that are present especially in volcanic areas such as Latium and Etruria (see Ardea)
see also this http://www.bandb-rome.it/tecniche_materiali_antica_roma.html

this White clashes against the insulae too much and it reminds me more of a Marble used by the Greeks than the Romans...

you're too careful Seek, one tries to make a poor note... and immediately his request is understood and satisfied! :lol:

we cheer our Prop artist and we look forward to new Amazing scenes! maybe Italiot and Greek ones!

it looks fab! :grin:

Nice work guys! but what if it was possible to attack a coastal city from the port itself more than the same routine on the walls? something like a fast and bloody sortie in the city, after you succesfully destroyed the chains blockading the port... flames all around wouldn't be bad. Fire in Warband sieges it's something that's totally underestimated  :cry: I've seen in BoE that Sebastian remade it within the moving clouds!

Seek n Destroy said:
Ligurian city-port of Genua:

f4OLH.jpg
IFsia.jpg
5tgWy.jpg
bC7vt.jpg
49SY_.jpg
Fsn3U.jpg
Oo8Au.jpg

Still working on the siege scene and interiors.
Looks nice, is it a re-make again like the other scenes that were previewed? Or more generetic?

I followed the wall planning of the medieval city as well as the lighthouse since there is no record on what it would look like during Ligurian reign. I tried to get the landscape as close as I could but that's something I'm rather bad at, the rest is conjecture. I went for a slightly different look from their Gallic neighbors since they had some cultural differences and were considered different group of people.
The port is too small for a battle to take place, it would get too crowded and clunky, could work for another scene but not that one.

Seek n Destroy said:
I followed the wall planning of the medieval city as well as the lighthouse since there is no record on what it would look like during Ligurian reign. I tried to get the landscape as close as I could but that's something I'm rather bad at, the rest is conjecture. I went for a slightly different look from their Gallic neighbors since they had some cultural differences and were considered different group of people.
The port is too small for a battle to take place, it would get too crowded and clunky, could work for another scene but not that one.

I was talking even for the MP, but man if it could be possible in the future to have a fantastic assault the port scene (for Cartagena, Cartagho or Lilybeum e.g.) it would totally kick ass :cool:
I really appreciate this attempt to merge the two different celtic culture, in fact even if the Ligures pretend to be an autochthonous tribe they are very similar to their cousins, the Celts, and after the Vth cent. Etruscan component gradually came to assimilate some aspects of Ligurian life. Especially the building:

http://www.antika.it/007820_popoli-italici-liguri.html

as you remember in the material I gave you Seek, there is a ficticious image of a Ligurian siege in which we can see round huts with extensive use of poles as the most part of the building in Genua. I think it's more likely than having a warbandish settlement even with fenced yard and fir. maybe you can mantain an upper class district with giant houses representing the noble families and a poor/merchant area with round huts close to each other...

antiche_abitazioni.wp;jsessionid=01D3DE6E87C17095D843695E2278D6AA

camogli_d0.jpg

regarding the landscape it is very rugged and mountainous, similar to that of the Cinque Terre, really difficult to grow and better suited to hide pirates than cultivate land. As Diodorus wrote walls and terraces were built laboriously every year by this iron people so even today you can see in Liguria these kind of terraces.

Why the lighthouse? the first was built in Alexandria in 297 b.C.  they weren't good sailors and in the ancient time people use to sailduring the day. at least there was a large bonfire in case of storm...

Poor choice of words, it's more of a watchtower in place of where the medieval lighthouse was put, I know Etruscans built a bunch of the to watch for raiders and potential trading ships to raid themselves. Also we don't have the props right now so it's what we can do for now.

further you would have risked being caught by pirates rather than helped by the citizens with such a huge tower  :grin:  it's pretty unlikely because I can't imagine bringing on dry wood and pitch on a wooden watchtower (=suicide)

don't worry Seek!  your efforts are moving and the care dedicated to every detail is much more serious than a "simple" hobby

I hope that some kind soul will join you someday sharing Peace, Props & Harmony amongst the humanity and muting Egypt and Lorica Segmentata trolls  :mrgreen:

Mini update to the recruitment system, besides some bug fixes, now instead of sitting in the villages waiting to be recruited by the player or whipped out by a raid the recruits will reinforce the town/castle the village is bound to. So now raiding a village and killing the reinforcement parties has some more impact on towns/castles. There is still room for improvement but it's one more step  :razz:
aRjCI.jpg
Based on an old script from Zaitenko.

That is an incredibly cool feature. Nice work! Native really needs more features such as these. Features that make the player feel like he is actually making a difference with his actions. Do lords also reinforce their armies in the same way?

Back
Top Bottom