Native Completed Calamity's Advanced League (CAL)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
KissMyAxe said:
Just remembered that Eternal had already done a comprehensive community survey, so there's no reason Zaffa should second-guess the community opinion from the amount of, often silly, arguments in the NANL thread.
Because a survey of yes/no answers with anywhere from 7-10 respondents is far more comprehensive than pages of dialogue on the matter? Yeh...ok.

While Eternal did a decent job on the survey for what it was, it's silly to compare it to the dialogue that took place in the aforementioned thread.

KissMyAxe said:
It's sort of sad that we often let a limited set of the most vocal and, often, misguided members to determine what's best for the community -- without asking the community itself.
Also, it's funny how you talk about asking the community about its opinion despite constantly referring to a survey that was only sent to a few selected individuals.

KissMyAxe said:
CalamityuP said:
Referring to this privy conversation you shouldn't be one to talk about hijacking anything. If you want to talk more about this, PM me.
Not sure what is there to talk about. Marnid and you tried to bully us out of hosting BIT. When the "be responsible, don't divide the community" card was played, we have agreed with you and tried to find some middle ground (with you being stubborn and not making any concessions)... Then you just dropped from the picture and we had to start over and, eventually, host the tournament on our own -- as was planned initially. Which begs question: why go to all the trouble to create all the drama and waste everybody's time if you knew you didn't have time for hosting the tourney? So, thanks for wasting our time then.

PS: Just remembered that Eternal had already done a comprehensive community survey, so there's no reason Zaffa should second-guess the community opinion from the amount of, often silly, arguments in the NANL thread.

I didn't have the time. If you noticed, I disappeared for 2.5 months. I thought I could handle it but decided to drop out. Sorry you had to do some work to create a tournament. Unfortunately I don't have a crystal ball.

Don't bring Marnid into this, he was a middle man because you are impossible to deal with. Like I originally said if you want to bring up the past talk to me on steam or PM me. I'm done with this conversation.

Zaffa said:
Because a survey of yes/no answers with anywhere from 7-10 respondents is far more comprehensive than pages of dialogue on the matter? Yeh...ok.

Well, to be honest, when pages of dialogue were mostly filled with the same 5 or 6 people...yes.

Especially when the majority of those pages were filled with rants and not that many constructive ideas.

Honestly I think what you need to run a successful tourney in NA right now is strong leadership and clear views on ideas. This tournament looks like it has a clear and confident plan.

Personally I'd like to see shorter rounds to make matches more interesting to watch with less waiting... even 270 seconds would do but 240 is ideal. Maybe consider reducing the time for closed maps where the travel distance is shorter?

Nevertheless, good luck with it all.

ClockWise said:
Zaffa said:

Well, to be honest, when pages of dialogue were mostly filled with the same 5 or 6 people...yes.
Mr. X
Kherven
Zaffa
Gelden
Orion
Tyrian
Captain Lust
Clockwise
Blade
Le Roux
Green Knight
Eternal
Rhade
Shem
Maynd

Just in the last 3 pages....but I'm sure the remaining 18 pages were empty.  :roll:

Oh please zaffa.  :roll:

You really think those pages had anything nearing the value of the survey? Those pages were full of *****ing and stupidity. Not much else.

Kherven said:
Okay, but I think the same should be said for Oceania players. Oceania includes Hawaii. So an east coast team shouldn't be forced to play on a far west coast either to accomodate a Hawaiian.  Does this mean if an east coast team faces a west coast team the middle ground is a central server?

Kherven, you sly devil.

When was the last time a match was played on a West Coast server?  :mad:

P.S. this ( :roll:) seems to be getting a lot of mileage lately.

KissMyAxe said:
It's sort of sad that we often let a limited set of the most vocal and, often, misguided members to determine what's best for the community -- without asking the community itself.

Kinda like how 1000g and random map choices have been decided, eh?

I think the community was happy with how things have been the last 3 years, until a very small, yet vocal and misguided sect made some changes -- without asking the community itself.

ClockWise said:
Oh please zaffa.  :roll:

You really think those pages had anything nearing the value of the survey? Those pages were full of *****ing and stupidity. Not much else.

I actually remember some pretty decent discussion. Silly me, taking part in them.

Actually, that followed John's poll (which, taken, probably included lots of euros voting in the wrong places as well).

Not sure what to make of this yet. Seems like a lot of *****ing by everyone about a tournament that is obviously running to compete with another. Sigh.

ClockWise said:
Now now. We don't want the NA community to come off as elitist do we...

Eternal said:
0 Pre-set Maps and Factions for Single Elim, 2 Pre-set Maps for Single Elim, 5 Pre-set Map and Factions for Entire Tournament, and 2 Map Choice for Entire Tournament
0% Pre-set Maps and Factions for Single Elim, 22% Pre-set Maps for Single Elim, 56% Pre-set Maps and Factions for Entire Tournament, and 22% Map Choice for Entire Tournament

This seems to be by far the most important and also the most divisive issue. However, each voter essentially argued the same thing. Most of the map choice voters enjoyed the strategic choices it gave their team, with one saying, "I feel as though this system is perfect because it's one team's best map (or the map they want to play on strategically) against another teams best map." Unsurprisingly, the voters in favor of pre-set maps or both factions and maps gave the exact same reasoning, one of which said "but I think fixed maps/factions forces teams to diversify their styles and adapt, making for overall higher quality matches and teams." I do not have any data to support either point of view, as pre-set maps and factions have yet to be tested on the NA scene. However, the survey results show a willingness on part of the NA community to try it out in the future, and could be a good point of innovation in the future.

vs

Rhade said:
This is pathetic how hard you guys are trying to be Europe.

Let's take a look at Starcraft II, one of the most prominent and renown competitive multiplayer games around the world.

There is a map pool.
Players pick maps from that pool.

It is a combination of preset maps and also giving players the ability to play to their strengths and to their enemies' weakness, allowing another layer of metagaming. Taking the map choice out of your hands just takes another choice and strategy away from clans trying to compete and forces you to play maps that are going to be vastly about camping with archers. The only reason we ever enjoyed scrimming was because we were guaranteed to be able to choose at least one map we enjoyed playing on, and the vast majority of the time we picked an open map like random plains and chose the bad spawn so we were able to play an enemy on an even footing. The next round, they'd do something like take Village, inside spawn, Rhodoks, and that's fine too because we let them do it. The majority of maps being made these days are mostly coming from Europe and a lot of them are based around the same strategy: camp with range, use heavy horses. I can't remember the last time I saw a good open map that was created, especially an open map idea that came from Europe. You guys are trying to so hard to be them, I really don't understand what was wrong with the way we've always been and why you're trying so hard to change that.

Eternal, your opinion that you guys constantly got beat on plains so you support a random map pool so that doesn't happen is so obviously self-serving. Why not just get better on plains? I totally understand your frustration at not having good cav players, so why not recruit better ones? As hard as it is for you to play on an open map where you don't have walls to hide behind, I'm just as frustrated to play other clans on Port Assault when they take Swadia or Rhodoks and just camp and wait for us to run into their kill zone. That's bull****, and a lot more one sided than two clans scrimming on an open map -- but we adapted. Instead of changing the ruleset, why not just improve? If you lose a map and win a map, you deserve to go to a third map, period. You're sacrificing choice and added ability to metagame for a randomized diceroll that's going to take the decision out of your hands and maybe you'll have to play two maps that your enemy is good at or they'll have to play two maps you're good at. If you know anything about balance and you're truly interested in competing and allowing the best player/clan to win, you need to realize that randomizing things into a diceroll is never a good idea and that's what randomized pools do. You always need to allow an element of choice or decision to the player/clan to work with, otherwise we may as well be playing craps.

Being progressive for the sake of being progressive is silly. I never go into EU clan threads or tournament threads and tell them to play with 1500 gold or tell them that camping is for *******, even if I want to. So I'm really not sure why you guys are trying to appease those coming here doing the same, when there was nothing really wrong with the general ruleset that was in place.
Zaffa said:
Eternal said:
Zaffa said:
Let's be realistic here though. Even in a chosen system you aren't going to win just by being good at 1-2 maps. With the way Warband functions and the way its maps are designed, the ability to play well on one map type (closed/mixed/open) generally allows you to play well on the equivalent map type. Though there are exceptions to this, it is highly unlikely that you are going to dominate on one map only and get **** on all the rest.

You can. If you choose first, you literally have to be good at 2 maps. Do you not comprehend how this is a problem? Yes, if you're really good at 2 maps you don't necessarily have to be bad at the rest, but the point stands that all a team has to practice is two maps. Now, you actually have to get off your ass and practice the preset maps. God forbid.

Dont understand your 2 map argument at all, in part because i don't know whathe is talking about. Unless you are assuming everything resulting in an 8-0, 8-0 tie and third map always going to whoever picked first, you aren't going to see a situation where a team only has to practice two maps to win.

The problem with the NA scene now isn't that a clan can be good at 10% of maps and not play the other 90% (not going to happen anyways). The problem is that a clan can be good at 90% of maps and be forced to play against a good team on the 10% of maps they suck at. This is an incredibly silly way for teams to lose high end matches which is why many other competitive games offer some type of "ban/block" system to avoid these scenarios from occuring.

Additionally, I cant even think of an example where a team won a tournament by only playing 1-2 maps very well. BkS did really well in old tournaments because they would pick random plains twice, but this problem was not the result of them only being good at one map, but because everyone else sucked **** at it and they were able to pick same map twice. By preventing them from picking the same map twice (which has since been done) or allowing teams to block their choice, this could have easily been avoidable. That being said, even in this circumstance, BkS still beat most teams on their own maps with GK being one of the only teams to actually beat them on a map. Point is, I can't  think of a single situation where your 2 map scenario is anything other than a strawman scenario.

Eternal said:
The problem that I am pointing towards is when you have teams of equal callabre playing each other on a map where one team is very familiar and the other isn't at all. While you have teams that may be amazing at most closed maps, they may absolutely suck at village. This can lead to a very lame situation where a team loses because they were forced to play the one map that the other team could stomp them at. The preset map system is completely chance based, and while teams have an opportunity to plan in advance, the lack of control is unsatisfying.

The other team could, you know, practice Village? Especially since preset maps are known in advance? If we go with your logic from your first point, then being good at one map in Closed means you should be pretty good at all of them, right? You're starting to contradict yourself.
You seem to be becoming rather attached to those logic jumps. As I explained before, while most maps of the same category overlap (nord town vs vendetta for example), there are exceptions to the rule (such as village) or maps where people are just uncomfortable/unfamiliar against a particular design element. In cases such as this, it is silly that a team that can beat you on 95% of maps beat you because you got the one map you sucked at (talking in hyperbole to make the point). As to the premise that you should practice every map until you are perfect at them all, it is simply unrealistic and harmful to the NA community. It is not feasible for clans to effectively practice every single map such that they play ALL of them at a comparable level of proficiency, and unless you want to further limit the number of clans that have a chance of effectively competing, you will take this reality into account.

Whatever system the NA community decides to use needs to account for the number of clans that can realistically compete with different rulesets and what will be most fun. Completely taking away people's ability to pick maps is not in the right direction and actually magnifies various problems. The better approach is to allow a choice based system where clans are given the narrowly tailored ability to prevent particular maps from being played that would unfairly represent their playing ability. Promoting map diversity is also an important goal to shoot for.
Etc.

You decide which has better feedback. A yes/no questionnaire or actual discussion.

Fehnor said:
Actually, that followed John's poll (which, taken, probably included lots of euros voting in the wrong places as well).

Not sure what to make of this yet. Seems like a lot of *****ing by everyone about a tournament that is obviously running to compete with another. Sigh.

Kinda frustrating when the response to the obvious majority who didn't like the ruleset was "go make your own tournament," yet when it's made people ***** that it was made.

Because someone decided to make a tournament with a, in my opinion, inferior ruleset, shouldn't mean that I'm forced to play in it instead of another tournament with a superior ruleset.

KissMyAxe said:
PS: Just remembered that Eternal had already done a comprehensive community survey, so there's no reason Zaffa should second-guess the community opinion from the amount of, often silly, arguments in the NANL thread.

Please say you're ****ing kidding me. "Comprehensive community survey," yet no one I talked to has heard of it and I'm sure quite a few Europeans had input, so excuse me for saying that any "survey" he did was not exactly accurate to the NA community.

Rhade said:
KissMyAxe said:
Kinda like how 1000g and random map choices have been decided, eh?
Well, no. And I know that nobody asked you, but since BkS officially quit Warband (for the second or the third time then? I don't remember), nobody really thought you'd be interested.
Rhade said:
I think the community was happy with how things have been the last 3 years, until a very small, yet vocal and misguided sect made some changes -- without asking the community itself.
Well, since you seem equate the community with yourself (or BkS), I have no choice but to agree.

Rhade said:
Because someone decided to make a tournament with a, in my opinion, inferior ruleset, shouldn't mean that I'm forced to play in it instead of another tournament with a superior ruleset.
But Rhade, he called it first. That means he gets to be Simon while we have to do whatever he says right?

KissMyAxe said:
Well, since you seem equate the community with yourself (or BkS), I have no choice but to agree.

Actually, it has nothing to do with me or BkS, but rather the amount of sheer time spent throughout the highest quality and volume of clans that the ruleset existed and continued to exist that I judged it's verity as the ruleset that NA had come to enjoy, but continue to be condescending and assumptive. ****.

KissMyAxe said:
Well, no. And I know that nobody asked you, but since BkS officially quit Warband (for the second or the third time then? I don't remember), nobody really thought you'd be interested.

I'm so ****ing sick of hearing this bull****. In fact, I'll go find the part of the BkS thread where I posted that we weren't leaving, we were still going to be around, we were just going to also be playing other games and were going to focus on them yet we'd still be around. Is that officially quitting? No.

Fehnor said:
I doubt William would have been unwilling to compromise.
The point is that making a post hardly entitles anyone to run a tourney. We've already noted that having concurrent tournaments doesn't work well which is why tournament hosting should depend upon the quality of the ruleset and community interests as opposed to who called dibs first.

Zaffa said:
But Rhade, he called it first. That means he gets to be Simon while we have to do whatever he says right?
Can the passive-aggressive, Zaffa. In contrast to other participants of the discussion, I've never forced my opinion on anybody. You should know that well by now, from our collaboration on CoMP.

Zaffa said:
Fehnor said:
I doubt William would have been unwilling to compromise.
The point is that making a post hardly entitles anyone to run a tourney. We've already noted that having concurrent tournaments doesn't work well which is why tournament hosting should depend upon the quality of the ruleset and community interests as opposed to who called dibs first.

Like your abandoned duel tournament that Nom had to finish for you?

KissMyAxe said:
Zaffa said:
Can the passive-aggressive, Zaffa. In contrast to other participants of the discussion, I've never forced my opinion on anybody. You should know that well by now, from our collaboration on CoMP.
In English?

Zaffa said:
In English?
The words were too long, eh? Well, I guess I've got to learn the thing they call "Simplified English".

Anyway, you've implied that I'm trying to force my opinion on you (or did so when hosting BIT). That is not and hasn't been the case. Furthermore (pardon, that's too long again!) Also, from our interactions regarding your map it should have become clear that I listen to everybody and try to make a decision that's best for everybody, if at all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom