Native Completed Calamity's Advanced League (CAL)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamity

Il Padrino
Count
logocalfinal.png

Welcome to North America's next major battle tournament, Calamity's Advanced League (CAL).

CAL will be similar to my original tournament CJTT which was inspired by K-BOOB and NASTe. You can expect faster paced matches and (hopefully) more aggression.

There will be a round robin for the beginning portion of this tournament. It's the expectation that one match will be played every week. The deadline for every match is Sunday at 11:59PM Central. The final tournament will feature every team in a single elimination format. Information regarding the finals will be posted a week beforehand.

European teams are allowed, however every match in this tournament will take place in sponsored central (Chicago) servers. To be a sponsored server you must meet the following criteria: must have ENL, CoMP Maps, and the script for forced MOTF spawn (WNL). In addition it must be approved by me. I am making sure it's able to host a maximum of 8v8 games with minimal lag.

Signup phase starts NOW, and ends on the 29th of June. You can begin playing matches starting June 30th.

Here is a snapshot of what to expect:

-1500 gold
-Round gold bonus 25% Instead of 100%
-Round timer 300 Seconds (5 Minutes)
-Forced MOTF spawn @ 2 minutes
-Dueling for attacker/defender choice
-No match draws
-Weekly map pool

As an added bonus, there will be stats posted at the end of the round robin and finals.

Roster.png

Maximum roster size: 12
Minimum roster size: 7

This tournament is meant to be played with a standard of 7 players. However, if a team only has 6 players show up both teams are required to play with 6.  No exceptions will be made.

If both teams have 8 players show up and both captains agree to have them play this is allowed. No more than 8 players will be playing at one time.

Substitutions are allowed. PM's must be sent to Calamity and the substituted player(s) may not play for 48 hours after it is sent.  Every team will have one emergency substitution. Use wisely. The emergency substitute may play immediately. There will be no substitutions in the final stage.

Server_rules.png

Speed: Fastest
Starting gold: 150% (1500)
Combat gold bonus: 100%
Round gold bonus: 25%
Round time:  300 seconds (5 Minutes) with fixed MOTF spawns at 2 minutes.
Friendly Fire to friend: 100%
Map time: 120 Minutes

Camera will be open by default unless both captains agree to a different setting. Spectators must be approved by both captains due to lag.

Match_config.png

Weekly Random Map Pool
Each week, two maps will be randomly chosen from each category (closed/mixed/open), resulting in a pool of 6 maps. Captains may only choose maps from the current week's pool. The same map may not be in the pool two weeks in a row. The maps will be selected on the Saturday (day before) the current weeks matches begin.

Map/Faction/Spawn Selection
Attacker and defender is chosen by a first to 3 duel prior to the match. This will take place on Arena in the center of the map. Winner gets to choose attacker or defender. The defending team gets first selection for map and spawn. The attackers then choose their faction, and the defenders choose theirs. Factions may not be mirrored, nor may they be reused on the second map. The category of the map selected may not be picked from again by the defending team (see map categories below). Maps may not be repeated. The second map is chosen by the attackers, who also pick their spawn. Defenders choose faction first on the second map, and attackers choose faction second. Again, no repeated/mirrored factions are allowed. The attacking team may pick from the same category as the defender's first map choice. Random plains may be rerolled up to 3 times if the team that picked it does not find the generated map satisfactory. In the event that a roll of random plains contains excessively hilly terrain, then the map must be rerolled until no cliff texture is present (grey rocky ground on the sides of steep hills) in an unmodified version of native Warband. This does not count as one of the 3 rerolls.

Scoring
Maps will be played to best of 8 rounds. After 4 rounds, the teams will swap factions & spawns, and the map will also be reset. Team 1 will take team 2's faction and spawn selection, and vice versa. Victory is determined by overall map wins. If two maps are played and the score is 1-1, a tiebreaker must be played. A duel will occur to decide who get's attacker or defender for the third map. You must select a duelist not used in the first duel. Same rules apply from the first duel. If the third map results in a draw both teams will pick a duelist who was not used for the first or second duel to determine the victor. Same rules apply as the first duel. There will be no draws in CAL. Rounds that are intentionally drawn by fleeing to corners of the map, hiding for extended periods, etc. are grounds for dispute and may result in penalization.

Substitutions and Rosters
Teams must field 6 players. Teams may only substitute players during matches between maps and at the faction/spawn swap or with consent from the opposing team's captain or if a player unexpectedly loses connection/crashes and is unable to rejoin promptly. 5 players being played is not allowed in any capacity except when a player unexpectedly drops. The other team must then drop one, and the round will continue. After that, the match stops until 6 can be fielded.

Tiebreaker
In the event of a tiebreaker, the defending team chooses a map that 1) has not been previously played and 2) is not from a category previously used by either team. The defending team also chooses their spawn, while the attacking team chooses first faction. Factions are not restricted on the final map, though they may not be mirrored. Tiebreakers are played to best of 8, with a faction/spawn swap and map reset after 4 rounds. The third map determines the victor of the match. See Scoring rules for information regarding overall match draws.

Mirrored factions are not allowed. Neither are Khergits.

During the final tournament these rules are subject to change and will be posted in a reasonable time before it starts.

Rule_violations.png

Disputes must be filed in a reasonable amount of time after the conclusion of a match, and they must be sent via PM to a tournament administrator with all accompanying evidence. Evidence provided after the accusation is made will be suspect. Administrators will determine the proper means by which accusations will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

First offense is a warning.
Second offense your seed is decreased by 1 in the Finals.
Third offense will be removal from entire Tournament.

Any confirmed cheating will be the immediate removal of yourself from the tournament.

Maps.png

The following maps are available for selection during CAL (everything else is not eligible). Note, maps may be added before the tournament starts. If you have ideas please PM me.

Open Maps:
Field by the River
Random Plains Medium
Oasis
River Valley
Dry Valley

Closed Maps:
Village
Nord Town
Port Assault
Sandi'boush
Desert Town
Verloren
Vendetta

Mixed Maps:
Ruins
Reveran Village
Frosty Battle
Solace
Liberty
Snoop's Exiled Island

Match_results.png

Results for a match must be submitted within 24 hours and confirmed by both captains. Screenshots are required for every match played.

Format for registering your team

Team Name:

Captain:

Co-Captain: If needed

Captain and Co-Captains Steam and TW info:

Team

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
11:
12:

Administration:
Calamity
Gelden
GreenKnight
Zero
Maynd

Current list of sponsored servers:
wK_Central

Credit to:
Marnid for the majority of the rule set from NASTe.
Kitten for the format.
Maynd for the awesome graphics.
Ghaern for some nice tweeks to the rules.
Gelden for being awesome with acronyms.

teams.png

Captain:  WilySly

Co-Captain:  Calamity

Team

1:WilySly
2:Calamity
3:Gelden
4:razz:PK
5:Achilles
6:RobertBruce
7:Lagstro
8:Oenomaus
9:Varill
10:Ranger
11:Cradoc
12:Ragnola

Team: Wappaw

Captain:  GreenKnight

Co-Captain:  CheesePizza

Team

GreenKnight
    CheesePizza
    Mafioso
    Redknight
    Blade
    THOR
    Jim
    Hot_Carl
    Zacty
    Black
    Quantum Matrix
    SaltedSlug

Team: Black Shields
Team Name: Black Shields

Captain: BkS_Rhade

Co-Captain: BkS_Harn

Captain and Co-Captains Steam and TW info: Rhade, Harn

Team

1: BkS_Rhade
2: BkS_Harn
3: BkS_Vanidar
4: BkS_Tyrian
5: BkS_peers
6: BkS_African
7: BkS_Fortinbras
8: BkS_Joe
9: BkS_LittleGuy
10:
11:
12:

America, home of capitalism and competition, where the best ruleset will be successful.

If we play a tournament, it will be this one.

Rhade said:
America, home of capitalism and competition, where the best ruleset will be successful.

If we play a tournament, it will be this one.

Do it. I want to beat you.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Rhade said:
Yup, competition is good and I'm all for it. I'm just having a deja vu remembering all the cries about "dividing the community" and "not checking with the previous tournament host first". Funny how the roles seem to have reversed, Cal.

I also don't like that it's "CAL". Reminds of me California. West Coast. Bleh. East>west. Maybe tourney should be something like Maynd's Awesome Innovative Native Experience. MAINE, for short.

:mad:

Competition looks great. Will definitely be participating.
KissMyAxe said:
Rhade said:
Yup, competition is good and I'm all for it. I'm just having a deja vu remembering all the cries about "dividing the community" and "not checking with the previous tournament host first". Funny how the roles seem to have reversed, Cal.
To be fair, most people didn't like William's ruleset anyways, else we wouldnt have had the explosion of arguments that occurred there. Also, I don't think that being first to make a post entitles anyone to run the tourney. Like Rhade said, this is America and we let the best ideas compete.

That all being said, I do agree that two tournaments is a bad idea for time scheduling/commitment issues, which is why I'd see which tourney becomes more popular and shut down the other tourney.

I thought the whole point was that the tournament was conflicting with the other one. Following the lines of "if you don't like this tournament, make your own" :wink:. I thoroughly enjoyed reading things like "no reasonable accommodations for EU teams" and "teams MUST play with 6, no exceptions". Heartily loling.

Might be a good idea to make a special note of things that are different from the common convention. These are the things that I would foresee as being not followed properly due to lack of knowledge or understanding of the rules:

No Server Accommodations

Random Plains Rerolled based on the defending team opinion only

Camera Open by default unless BOTH teams want locked

Teams MUST match player numbers, even in the case of d/c

Victory by Maps

DUEL for attacker/defender of third map if necessary (and it must be a different dueler than the first dueler)

You CAN play the first 2 maps in the same category but the third map cannot be a repeat category (this is a little confusing. 1 team cannot pick 2 maps of the same category, but the other team can pick one in the same category as the first one for the second map, if I'm understanding correctly).

I'll be waiting for a PM from one of those TMW guys who actually organizes things :p

I'd suggest adding Roman's Liberty map to the mixed pool assuming there are no objections. The most recent iteration of it (the nixed wall segment) seems to have resolved most of the earlier balancing issues.

Zaffa said:
To be fair, most people didn't like William's ruleset anyways, else we wouldnt have had the explosion of arguments that occurred there.
I don't see how one follows from the other. The NA competitive community has only few vocal members who participate in all the arguments. I'm not necessarily saying that most people like the NANL ruleset, but you can't say otherwise without doing a comprehensive survey. I for one like the NANL ruleset better than CAL's. It's sort of sad that we often let a limited set of the most vocal and, often, misguided members to determine what's best for the community -- without asking the community itself.
Zaffa said:
Also, I don't think that being first to make a post entitles anyone to run the tourney.
No, I didn't imply that. I just referred to a conversation that you weren't privy to, but Calamity would surely recognize.

KissMyAxe said:
Zaffa said:
To be fair, most people didn't like William's ruleset anyways, else we wouldnt have had the explosion of arguments that occurred there.
I don't see how one follows from the other. The NA competitive community has only few vocal members who participate in all the arguments. I'm not necessarily saying that most people like the NANL ruleset, but you can't say otherwise without doing a comprehensive survey. It's sort of sad that we often let a limited set of the most vocal and, often, misguided members to determine what's best for the community -- without asking the community itself.
Zaffa said:
Also, I don't think that being first to make a post entitles anyone to run the tourney.
No, I didn't imply that. I just referred to a conversation that you weren't privy to, but Calamity would surely recognize.

I'll make this brief so we can cut the side chats. I tried to contact him, but was unsuccessful. Could I have made more of an effort? Sure.

Referring to this privy conversation you shouldn't be one to talk about hijacking anything. If you want to talk more about this, PM me.

CalamityuP said:
Referring to this privy conversation you shouldn't be one to talk about hijacking anything. If you want to talk more about this, PM me.
Not sure what is there to talk about. Marnid and you first took a piss at us planning to host a tourney when you have already indicated that you weren't interested in hosting season 2. Then you tried to bully us out of hosting BIT. When the "be responsible, don't divide the community" card was played, we have agreed with you and tried to find some middle ground (with you being stubborn and not making any concessions)... Then you just dropped from the picture and we had to start over and, eventually, host the tournament on our own -- as was planned initially. Which begs question: why go to all the trouble to create all the drama and waste everybody's time if you knew you didn't have time for hosting the tourney? So, thanks for wasting our time then.

PS: Just remembered that Eternal had already done a comprehensive community survey, so there's no reason Zaffa should second-guess the community opinion from the amount of, often silly, arguments in the NANL thread.

CalamityuP said:
I'll make this brief so we can cut the side chats. I tried to contact him, but was unsuccessful. Could I have made more of an effort? Sure.

If you're talking about Nord Champion/William then he's been on holiday and is still on it for a few days.

CalamityuP said:
European teams are allowed, but there will be no reasonable accommodations for server selection. IE a west coast team will not be playing on a east coast server.

Okay, but I think the same should be said for Oceania players. Oceania includes Hawaii. So an east coast team shouldn't be forced to play on a far west coast either to accomodate a Hawaiian.  Does this mean if an east coast team faces a west coast team the middle ground is a central server?

KissMyAxe said:
Just remembered that Eternal had already done a comprehensive community survey, so there's no reason Zaffa should second-guess the community opinion from the amount of, often silly, arguments in the NANL thread.

Mate.

Just stop.

You won't get anywhere. I promise you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom