Pirates of Calradia main thread now locked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or perhaps like the realistic ship-boarding? I would go for that over Hollywood.

What era are we talking about? Only films with boarding actions in I can think of recently are Pirates of the Carribean (utterly awful) and Master and Commander (Utterly brilliant)

Or are you saying the whole idea of boarding a ship is a hollywood fantasy?  :shock: I mean with this sort of longboat battles, boarding is the only thing you CAN do... no anti-ship weapons.. and why ram when you can kill the crew and take their ship?

Mirathei said:
Not yet. Maybe for the next release, but for now my main challenge is to keep the retarded ai from walking over the sides of  their boats. Once I get that down I'll add all sorts of content.
Ermm.... add those invisible barriers to the sides of the boats.

Ah, but then, they cannot get out of the boat to attack the other side :razz:

I eagerly await this mod. Will you be using the new feature that is moddable keys to be able to steer a ship, or is it animated?

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.  :smile:

The ship combat may need to be experienced before you can really understand it. This is how it works:

There are several behaviors each ship can have:
    -skirmish\retreat: The ship will attempt to maintain a safe distance from the enemy ship, but try to stay within bowshot. This is ideal for a ship with many archers.
    -close in and board: The ship will try to draw up alongside the enemy ship. If the two ships collide, they will stop moving, and the infantry will board one another's ships.
    -drop the anchor and hold: Exactly what it sounds like.

To change your ship's behavior, press the inventory key. The enemy ship will be automatically managed, partially based on the strengths and weaknesses of  the enemy force.

I have not yet added support for multiple ships on one side, and I am not sure whether when I do, the ships will act independently, or whether they will be lashed together. The latter would be both more historically accurate and easier to code, but the former might make for a more entertaining game.

Your thoughts?

miclee1 said:
Mirathei said:
Not yet. Maybe for the next release, but for now my main challenge is to keep the retarded ai from walking over the sides of  their boats. Once I get that down I'll add all sorts of content.
Ermm.... add those invisible barriers to the sides of the boats.
The trouble with that is that the ship will move, and the ai barriers will not, and so the men will be literally dragged off of the ship, thus entirely defeating the purpose. Thanks for the idea, though.

Well, good luck Mirathei!

So, this is basically a continuation of the Sea Raider expansion? Or is this entirely different?

I found that the Sea raider expansion is pointless now 'cos M&B has them in by default, so yeah.

-Alec

miclee1 said:
Black-knight-blues said:
I think this was done some time ago...

Oh yeah, the mod sounds good.
I haven't played pirates in ages.
Failed.

Anyway. That's quite awesome Mirathei, just a few questions though, why the Inventory key? Didn't Armagan say something about having around 10 more moddable keys this version? Oh and what about multi-ship battles, have you tried to do anything about that? It seems like (in the screenshots) the troops are quite crowded in those tiny boats, this might lead to complications with the AI of the archers (not firing due to the mass of allies in front of them), as well as boarding (the boarders get mobbed immediately). Oh, and finally, are you going to be releasing the source code for this mod? I have a few ideas for it.

Alec{zacool} said:
Well, good luck Mirathei!

So, this is basically a continuation of the Sea Raider expansion? Or is this entirely different?

I found that the Sea raider expansion is pointless now 'cos M&B has them in by default, so yeah.

-Alec

Completely different. There will be at least one warship for each faction, and I make take characters from the old Pirates of Calradia Roleplay.

Tuckles said:
That's quite awesome Mirathei, just a few questions though, why the Inventory key?

Thanks, and no particular reason. Since there's only one key needed, I could set it to be just about any other key on the keyboard.

Tuckles said:
Oh and what about multi-ship battles, have you tried to do anything about that? It seems like (in the screenshots) the troops are quite crowded in those tiny boats, this might lead to complications with the AI of the archers (not firing due to the mass of allies in front of them), as well as boarding (the boarders get mobbed immediately).
I'm not quite sure how I want to handle multi-ship battles. The ships of one side will either be lashed together (norse-style), or they could all act independently (Greek-style). I'm currently leaning more toward the former, since it would fit in with the time period better and be far easier to code. Any suggestions?

Tuckles said:
Oh, and finally, are you going to be releasing the source code for this mod? I have a few ideas for it.
Sure.  :smile:

I think I've come up with a mechanism for ship capturing: When you defeat an enemy party, an empty ship spawns by your party, and follows you around, and lets you garrison men in it.

Mirathei said:
Tuckles said:
Oh and what about multi-ship battles, have you tried to do anything about that? It seems like (in the screenshots) the troops are quite crowded in those tiny boats, this might lead to complications with the AI of the archers (not firing due to the mass of allies in front of them), as well as boarding (the boarders get mobbed immediately).
I'm not quite sure how I want to handle multi-ship battles. The ships of one side will either be lashed together (norse-style), or they could all act independently (Greek-style). I'm currently leaning more toward the former, since it would fit in with the time period better and be far easier to code. Any suggestions?

Hmm, I like the Greek one better, with the addition of the Strategic Map, it could make for some interesting battle scenarios. (Get your big guns out in front, while the smaller, faster light ships go for the sides or something.)

Mirathei said:
I think I've come up with a mechanism for ship capturing: When you defeat an enemy party, an empty ship spawns by your party, and follows you around, and lets you garrison men in it.

Very nice. I like that idea, but it should make you automatically garrison at least four "special" troops that know how to pilot a ship. I mean, I don't think Swadian Knights had any maritime training. (*hinthintaddaspecialtrooptreeperfactionhinthint*)

Oh, and a few more questions. Where exactly do you get the boats? Will they be bought from merchants in ports? Given to you through quests? Both? Also, are you planning to add weapons to the ships themselves, or is it really gonna be archers firing at each other?

Tragedian said:
Norse style ships ftw, man.

And this looks great. The internets demands moar.

Thanks.

Tuckles said:
Mirathei said:
Tuckles said:

Hmm, I like the Greek one better, with the addition of the Strategic Map, it could make for some interesting battle scenarios. (Get your big guns out in front, while the smaller, faster light ships go for the sides or something.)
I hadn't really thought about the strategic map yet. I suppose it could be used to set rally points for the friendly fleet. That could make for some seriously tactical battles. I'll see if I can't work out how to make that work. (both independent  movement and tactics)

Tuckles said:
Oh, and a few more questions. Where exactly do you get the boats? Will they be bought from merchants in ports? Given to you through quests? Both? Also, are you planning to add weapons to the ships themselves, or is it really gonna be archers firing at each other?
The boats will be purchased for a hefty price from Wercheg (which will be a Zendar-allied pirate haven allowing all factions access to the sea). I may also make some new game-starts which will begin with a ship. I don't think I'll make them quest-attained, because I know that I myself would hate having to go through a very specific process to get my ship. As for weapons, I may add a ramming galley at some point, but it seems impractical to put catapults or the like on the deck of a ship. Thus most of the battle will be maneuvering, shooting back and forth, and then boarding.

Just thought that you might be interested in a norse-type-ish ship thingy

If you like pm me and I'll give you the wings3d model (seeing as I am a noob at entering stuff into the game)

The_Underliner_ said:
Just thought that you might be interested in a norse-type-ish ship thingy

If you like pm me and I'll give you the wings3d model (seeing as I am a noob at entering stuff into the game)

That is awesome. I will definitely use it. I'll add you to the credits right about now. Do you think you could make a Greek-style galley with a ram on the front, too? Your help could seriously speed up development.

Mirathei said:
Tuckles said:
Mirathei said:
Tuckles said:

I hadn't really thought about the strategic map yet. I suppose it could be used to set rally points for the friendly fleet. That could make for some seriously tactical battles. I'll see if I can't work out how to make that work. (both independent  movement and tactics)

Tuckles said:
The boats will be purchased for a hefty price from Wercheg (which will be a Zendar-allied pirate haven allowing all factions access to the sea). I may also make some new game-starts which will begin with a ship. I don't think I'll make them quest-attained, because I know that I myself would hate having to go through a very specific process to get my ship. As for weapons, I may add a ramming galley at some point, but it seems impractical to put catapults or the like on the deck of a ship. Thus most of the battle will be maneuvering, shooting back and forth, and then boarding.

Hmm, I'm actually in artillery in the ships, say like ballistae, or maybe cannons. (Won't fit the time period, but it'd be awesome.)

By the way, I got a few more questions for you. Do the ships have hit points? Can your control the ship you're riding? A few more as well, but I forgot them.

Sexy! Add Cunningham and his wife for say the Swadians? :grin:

But how will the AI controlled battles work? Like the ones you don't fight in?

I know i just used the smoth tool
also I don't finished it so i will remake many things

Yeah...um...no offence, but so far, that model is kinda...low budget, but! Before you start whacking me with it,

The sails need re-doing
Maybe the edge of the ship could be wider instead of a thin layer.

Otherwise, yeah, its OK. Not like a Norse ship though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom