Author Topic: [S] (Game of Thrones) A World of Ice and Fire (AWoIaF v4.3.6 released 01/06/19)  (Read 558484 times)

Ithilien5

• Squire
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
Re: [WB][S] A Brytenwalda sub mod: Game of Thrones
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 06:05:25 PM »
In my opinion Dothraki shouldn't because they don't have a Lord or King but different Khalasars roaming around Essos. They don't either have the siege equipment to take fiefs from the others of the free cities. And if they would then conquer Essos how lore breaking wouldn't it be if they sailed across the Narrow sea?  :idea: Just wanna my voice my opinion  8-)

TheLoneWolf1

• Sergeant Knight at Arms
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 01:31:21 AM »
You can always have Dothrakis as roaming bandit parties located in Essos, that way they wouldn't besiege any castles or stray far ahead from where they are supposed to be. Furthermore Prophecy of Pendor has a sweet feature where bandit factions unite together forming armies, that way you could have Khalassars on this mod. Just some thoughts. Best of luck.

ThaneWulfgharn

• Master Knight
  • ALL HAIL THE ALLFATHER!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 01:33:12 PM »
50% with 50% after my vote... Anyway, they should be in. You should give the player possibilty to roam parts of Essos near the Narrow Sea.

Ithilien5

• Squire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »
And how did you plan to keep the lore without it breaking when the dothraki conquers the free citys and crosses the narrow sea? Wouldn't that break the immersion for you? "Dothraki do not trust salt water because their horses cannot drink it. They do not sail and are not considered a threat by the Westerosi because they will not cross the Narrow Sea." Taken directly from the wiki.

produno

• Master Knight
  • AWoIaF Developer
    • Twitter - @TheRealProduno
    • YouTube - Produno
    • View Profile
    • Official A World of Ice and Fire Webpage
  • Faction: Neutral
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2013, 06:01:04 PM »
And how did you plan to keep the lore without it breaking when the dothraki conquers the free citys and crosses the narrow sea? Wouldn't that break the immersion for you? "Dothraki do not trust salt water because their horses cannot drink it. They do not sail and are not considered a threat by the Westerosi because they will not cross the Narrow Sea." Taken directly from the wiki.

Its not always about following the book to the T.  A game is something people can play to create thier own version, do things how they would like but whilst living in the time and world created by george r. r. martin. 

Maybe thiers a way to stop a faction from using the sea until a scripted trigger (or even at all), ie you persuade them thiers nothing to fear from the water.  Or they can cross the sea but take huge moral losses. Something that could be looked into in the future.

Though playing a game is about giving the player free will. Letting them do what they want how they want, sure you should have concequences for doing certain things but i dont think it should be stopped altogether.  I like choices, choices keep me interested and make it feel less of a game but more real.

The question should be: How can we make the Dothraki a playable faction whilst keeping within the lore (within reason)?  If anyone has ideas then please share, though i want to hear ways of actually doing it within the mount and blade system.  Not just we could do .... , I want to hear how we can implememnt said idea. :)

Ithilien5

• Squire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 06:19:09 PM »
Well it's quite the big deal to be honest. If not, perhaps seperate downloads? Cause right now it looks like 50% of the community likes the idea. But for the other 50 it's quite lore breaking... And i'll ask around to see if there is any scripts like that...

produno

• Master Knight
  • AWoIaF Developer
    • YouTube - Produno
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW

dsfrozen

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
  • WB
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 02:21:47 PM »
Hello Produno!

First of all good luck with your project! I will follow it with great interest for two main reason:

- I believe your approach to the creation is very innovative (although challenging).
- Brytenwalda is a great mod, so your mod is already better than many other out there.

I am quite confused about one point; somewhere in the thread you stated that you are not aiming to create a better Game of Thrones' mod. Wow, I really appreciate you modesty but I believe that your mod should have, at least, one area where it will excel. It will actually motivate your development team and attract both modders and players.

My humble (and unrequited ;)) suggestion?
If I were you, I will try to make this mod the most logically correct as possible. Brytenwalda is so catchy because everything you find there makes sense. The equipment in the markets, the NPC you meet, troop's equipment, quests, are all related to the faction where you are playing. If I remember well, also the beautiful "the last days" for M&B has a similar concept.
Most mods are... well, rather messy, and even if they integrate beautiful armors, custom scenes etc. they give the impression to be Vanilla under steroids. Or plastic surgery.

Focusing on the coherence of the mod with the tv series (or the books if you believe enough people are familiar with them) will distinguish your mod from the others and allow people with low pc specs to enjoy it.
I also believe it will speed up the development. From what I have seen you already have a robust team of researchers and few modelers/texturers. Let the graphic guys focus on what really makes the difference. Do I need original armors for low tier troops? Do I really need customised scenes for villager and towns? My answer, maturated from my playing style, is no. Of course they are a plus (I remember Minas Tirith in the previously cited LOTR: TLD  :mrgreen:) but they tend to slow down the realisation too!

Finally a couple of questions:

- Alliance system, it would be quite disappointing if House Stark team up with (or stop fighting) the Lannisters. Don't you think?
- House Baratheon, same as before. I saw they actually own King's Landing, so the little blonde monster is not considered a Lannister ;). What if he reconsider his loyalty and attack his grandpa's fief? Not a good idea for gameplay imo...

That's it! If you fell like further discussing my point I'm glad to help. Looking forward for the next realisation!

produno

• Master Knight
  • AWoIaF Developer
    • YouTube - Produno
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 03:23:06 PM »
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to post. I appreciate your support!

I will try to answer some of your questions:

At the moment i am one person working alone, One of the 'other' mods has already had a full team of modders working on it for well over a year and have lots of content. Then ACOK's has also been in production much longer and its of no doubt Cozur is a very talented modder.  Though, all three mods are very different. I have played Cozurs and it has a very different feel compared to using the Brytenwalda mod as a basis, So i can guarantee they will be all different but which is better i think is upto the player to decide.

A logicaly correct mod is something im trying to aim for, as with Brytenwalda everything will have a purpose and will tie in with each other. I want people to feel part of the world and interact with it as such. Though this does mean alot of text has to be changed and will take time on my own. I have a busy lifestyle so this will be a slow process, one of the reasons i wanted to release the mod in sections and update it monthly.

I have no modelers or texturers working specifically on this mod. The items or textures i have at the moment is OSP.  Both my researchers have left me due to not having enough free time to help so i am left on my own again.

The alliance system will be tweaked, This has been done in TLD and i may have a word with MadVader to see if i can get some insight on this. Though this wont be done untill around V0.5.

The lannisters do in fact own Kings Landing ATM in my mod (unless ive made a mistake) and the 'little blonde monster' is also part of House Lannister.  I will double check this though.

If you have any recommendations please feel free to post them :)

Ithilien5

• Squire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 03:39:03 PM »
Note that i have not left you mate, simply because i said i'm busy atm, i'll check it out later doesn't mean in a month or so! I sit on alot of ideas and dialogues opputunites. I just couldn't bother to do more research for the day. (Forgive me for my english)

Best regards,

produno

• Master Knight
  • AWoIaF Developer
    • YouTube - Produno
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
Note that i have not left you mate, simply because i said i'm busy atm, i'll check it out later doesn't mean in a month or so! I sit on alot of ideas and dialogues opputunites. I just couldn't bother to do more research for the day. (Forgive me for my english)

Best regards,

Ok no worries. As always any help is appreciated :).

dsfrozen

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
  • WB
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 07:26:37 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Thanks for taking the time to reply! On the King's Landing's issue I was actually wrong, my apologises :)

I've played Cozur's mod some time ago, sorry to say I didn't like it... My impression was that a lot of OSP objects and scenes had been dropped into the mod, slowing down the PC and adding very little to the gameplay. I hope Cozur won't mind for the criticism.

As I said, the good point here is that you start from Brytenwalda, that's a very good beginning! I also assume you will bring back some Vanilla textures, for a more modern look.... I would suggest you to do an appraisal of both Vanilla's and OSP's 'resources' that you have and decide what:

- Has high priority and can be done with vanilla's stuff (eg. bringing back a medieval look).
- Has high priority and must integrate OSP package (eg. plate armors)
- Has high priotity and must be created from scratch (here I have no idea)
- Vanilla/OSP/New Cool features that will enhance gameplay (do we really need now a new type of high res woods as battlefield?)

My personal guess is that if you follow it, halfway of the second point you will already have a good mod and you will be able to gather more help from the community. BTW, do you manage to write in the first post what are you going to work on the next 1-2 months People will maybe be more willing to help if they see short term goals.

For the mod itself it seems to me that you already have a pretty clear idea on what do you want to do of your mod. Are you familiar with Prophesy of Pendor mod? (God, I'm citing a lot of MadVader's work). There a plenty of interesting ideas that will fit very well Westeros. Among them, I especially like the Rock/Paper/Scissor style of the factions. They are very recognizable and as in Native they guarantee each time a different style of playing. In many realistic mods, Brytenwalda included, most of the time you just wander around with a bunch of peasant who've never seen a spear in their life, and the top tiers are pretty much identical every faction you are using. Instead, I'd like to adapt my style of playing when I decide to join the Starks instead of the Tyrrell.

Think about it ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:29:04 PM by dsfrozen »

Ithilien5

• Squire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 08:07:04 PM »
As you can see we have a very good communication in the team  :lol: Produno has mentioned some times that the mod will stick with the native textures and add some enchanced textures so the mod won't slow down the pc as much. I spoke to bilwit (A incredible man that have recreated the armors from HBO) and he allowed us to put it into the mod so it will be very exciting! :)

produno

• Master Knight
  • AWoIaF Developer
    • YouTube - Produno
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 09:57:02 PM »
(click to show/hide)

No problem :)

As Ithilian5 mentioned im trying to carefully select the correct textures to not just make the mod more dark and gritty but to also keep resources low.  Ive also made steps on the world map to try and make sure it doesnt slow down lower end pc's. The vertex count is nearly half of what Cozurs is ATM... Though i dont think my map is quite as 'beautifull' heh.  Though possibly more fitting for A Game of Thrones.

I havnt really got onto OSP items yet, i will incorporate Bilwits armours for the next update but after that my main concern is to get all text and dialogue sorted, I feel thats more important to feel more within the universe than the extra OSP stuff.

Each Faction will play different and i have some ideas for each, though i would also like feedback from people that know the factions well and can assume what they excell in. ie, Cavalry, Archers ect and if/what tactics they would normally use if youve read the books. Using this information will allow me to create very different troop trees for each faction.
One idea if we use the Dothraki as a faction is to try and make it hard for them to take cities, They have in fact attacked cities (like when they attacked Braavos) but i dont think have taken any? To do this thier troop tree will be fairly primitive. This gives the option for the player to play as the Dothraki if they either want a challenge or they just want to pillage and harass. They will be mainly skirmishers and light cavalry... not the kind of troops you would like to use for a full frontal of a castle.

I will also at some point add an option to recruit an elite of a faction troop from a certain town if you own that certain town. ie, if you own White Harbour you will get the option to recruit/train White Harbour knights.  I have seen a similar script for this in the OSP section which i hope can be modified slightly.  Though this wont be added untill after V1.0.

I hope this clears up some answers.

dsfrozen

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
  • WB
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2013, 01:53:52 PM »
So it seems Dothraki as a faction is pretty much split with the vote just going towards having them in. So ill leave them in for now and see how feedback comes back after people have played the game.

New poll.

What about doing something like the 'Jatu Army' in Prophecy of Pendor Mod?

2-3 independent big war parties led by a lord and several smaller warbands (No fiefs, maybe a hideout?). All of them behaving more or less like bandits but with the possibility of bringing siege and loot towns and castle. After the attack they don't own the town (which remains to the original faction).

The player start with negative relationship with them (DOthraki are suspicious), but helping them in battle allow you to befriend them. For the recruitment I suggest to hire them as lower cost mercenaries in taverns (available only if you have positive relationship with the 'faction').

If you manage to obtain the PoP's script it will be great. I think this way represents quite well the Dothraki behaviour and gives an alternative way of playing the mod.

EDIT: Similar concept for the brotherhood
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 02:05:09 PM by dsfrozen »