void

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blimey, those uniforms are filthy. That's the kind of thing that would get you flogged.

I think you've really gone overboard with the dirt. Soldiers had to wash their uniforms regularly, and even if they had just been walking through mud that still doesn't explain how it got all the up their legs and on their arms and shoulders.

No one in their right mind would ever let their skillet get rusty (not to mention they were usually cast iron, which is very resistant to oxidisation), for the same reason they wouldn't let their haversack get cover in dirt.

If you want to make the uniforms look well used, you have to actually think about where dirt would realistically build up, where the material would wear the quickest et cetera. You shouldn't just make it look like someone threw a bucket of mud at it.

I want to know what planet your on if you think cast iron doesn't rust. Never seen gates with the paint peeling off with rust underneath, that's almost definitely going to be cast iron.

Docm30 said:
Blimey, those uniforms are filthy. That's the kind of thing that would get you flogged.

I think you've really gone overboard with the dirt. Soldiers had to wash their uniforms regularly, and even if they had just been walking through mud that still doesn't explain how it got all the up their legs and on their arms and shoulders.

No one in their right mind would ever let their skillet get rusty (not to mention they were usually cast iron, which is very resistant to oxidisation), for the same reason they wouldn't let their haversack get cover in dirt.

If you want to make the uniforms look well used, you have to actually think about where dirt would realistically build up, where the material would wear the quickest et cetera. You shouldn't just make it look like someone threw a bucket of mud at it.

Well to be honest I'm taking a bit of artistic license. In many ways the Franco Prussian war mimicked the first world war, destroyed villages, churned up ground everywhere, trenches, and soldiers stuck in the field for days without support, the French especially were dug in well, it also rained a lot as the war was mostly from autumn to spring. Mud would get on their upper bodies because with breach loaders soldiers could now fire from prone. But yes it probably is muddier than they would really get but i really want to create a good atmosphere.

This mod already is looking quite spectacular. I look forward to seeing some of the artillery pieces that you make. I am defiantly going to pay close attention to this mod. 

Willhelm said:
Well to be honest I'm taking a bit of artistic license. In many ways the Franco Prussian war mimicked the first world war, destroyed villages, churned up ground everywhere, trenches, and soldiers stuck in the field for days without support, the French especially were dug in well, it also rained a lot as the war was mostly from autumn to spring. Mud would get on their upper bodies because with breach loaders soldiers could now fire from prone. But yes it probably is muddier than they would really get but i really want to create a good atmosphere.
Yeah, I was about to say, I dont think they're so much "fresh into battle" uniforms, but more "right in the middle of the battle" uniforms.

Also, looking very good, always great to see a well done announcement. :razz:

Right. My point wasn't that they shouldn't be dirty (or even filthy if that's what you want) but that the dirt should be in more logical places. How'd the Prussian landwehr get dirt all over his biceps but not on his chest? How'd the French line get dirt on the pouch beneath his knapsack and all the way up (and evenly around) his trousers?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but it looks like little thought was put into where the dirt is. I mean, how could the jaeger possibly get mud all over the back of this blouse when he's got a knapsack on?

I think it'd be a huge improvement if you worked on it a little bit.

One more thing. On the Prussian uniforms the buttons don't seem to be centred up right. The buttons on a single-breasted coat should always be right down the middle. See here.

Good luck.

Comrade Temuzu said:
Willhelm said:
Yeah, I was about to say, I dont think they're so much "fresh into battle" uniforms, but more "right in the middle of the battle" uniforms.

Also, looking very good, always great to see a well done announcement. :razz:

I made them clean initially and it just looked wrong. Thank you.

Docm30 said:
Right. My point wasn't that they shouldn't be dirty (or even filthy if that's what you want) but that the dirt should be in more logical places. How'd the Prussian landwehr get dirt all over his biceps but not on his chest? How'd the French line get dirt on the pouch beneath his knapsack and all the way up (and evenly around) his trousers?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but it looks like little thought was put into where the dirt is. I mean, how could the jaeger possibly get mud all over the back of this blouse when he's got a knapsack on?

I think it'd be a huge improvement if you worked on it a little bit.

One more thing. On the Prussian uniforms the buttons don't seem to be centred up right. The buttons on a single-breasted coat should always be right down the middle. See here.

Good luck.
You are right, my logic was for artillery explosions raining mud on them, but it makes it look wrong if you don't think of that. Il take your advice on the buttons, i have sources with buttons on the left and right and center so i went with left as it seems most logical to me.

IwillRamMyPikeUpyourAnus said:
Again, what artillery types were you going to implement into this game?

Sorry, the Prussians have Krupp cannons with exploding shells, the French have older cannons, although rifled, firing solid shots. There will also be mortars.

No, I did not mean to sound agitated  :oops:.  But thank you for your response. If you need a researcher or some other non-technical assistance I would be more than happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom